Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

spirituality ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how do you define it? have you got any in your life?
been thinking about this quite a bit lately. addiction is said to be a spiritual ilness. i'm becoming convinced that self harming is also a spiritual illness.
we live in a very high tech world of ease and ilusion. all through history our heroes have been great political, military, religous, and sporting figures but now ...our idols are singers with drug problems ...footballers who change their hairstyles often and earn wealth out of all proportion to their worth.
our goals and dreams in life are no longer that we get enough food to feed our families, good warm dry shelter, peace and harmony, good health ...our hopes and dreams seem now to mostly be based on fame and fortune. have we lost touch with our selves ...our souls? there seems to be little of real worth promoted anymore.
do you have a spiritual side in the midst of this very materialistic high tech western, godless, obese world?

Comments

• Options
    I think all of us have some sence of spirituality though not neccessarily religious.

Even though it may seem were driven only by materialistic desires we still think and feel and I believe that everyone has beliefs - and these beliefs form the basis of our spirituality.

just because some of this world is 'safer' does not mean all idols are soap stars or such

and the reson they sometimes are is due to the media and the absence of religion in our lives

but that dosnet mean we have changed compaletly ahve no sence of spirituality.
  • Options
    the ammount of interest this thread didn't get ...convinces me more that we live in times of ME ...SELF ...I ...........I want ...I will have.I can do anything i like ...
    no spiritual food means people are spiritualy starving.
  • Options
    I think I have a spiritual side but I can't really tell you where it comes from! I am amazed by nature every day, by the sounds and smells of things I pass and by the feeling of wellbeing I have within myself. Certain places are great for increasing my sense of connection to the world.. a small place in Donegal in Ireland being one of them, but I can feel spiritual stopped at traffic lights on my bicycle surrounded by cars in the middle of a city as much as I feel spiritual in the park with my dog on a wet winters day!

It is something within that you want to share but will never know if its the same spirituality as others feel.

I certainly feel glad that I get this sense of well being all the time wherever I am and I don't have to spend an hour in church once a week to get it like some people do. Not that I blame them for trying but I think it should be with you wherever you are, in the hardest of times as well as the best of times.
  • Options
    Definitely agree with you on the loss of collective spirituality and the increase in the 'self' syndrome. In our developed societies - for most people - everything that used to be a luxury is a necessity and necessitys are commonplace and taken forgranted. With everything else sorted, people have nothing much else to do but think too much. Usually it's thinking about themselves too much. This has also been brought about by the whole psychology era in my opinion as there's millions to be made through therapy and drugs. As a result of pushing the 'self', people feel their 'self' isn't quite right. When really compared to starving children in Africa or Iraq their 'self' is absolutely bloody fine. I'm not saying psychology isn't worthwhile and doesn't help, it does, I just think it encourages to much focus on personal problems which really shouldn't be so abundant in our society.....

...but they are due to the depressing nature of capitalism. Capitalism is also out to crush our spirit and our spirit of nature. What good is it if everyone loves trees and animals and refuses to buy all the crap on offer? No good for the capitalist system. So we're told buying things and having all these synthetic objects, and being the archetypal beauty and the 'perfect' person is the only way for true happiness...and we buy it. Thus feeding the system. Sadly people tend to operate on the values of the system too; greed, desire for power and ambition...all of which cause destruction...eventually depressing the people who subscribe to such values, the people who are victims of such values and those who see the victims and feel their pain.

So spirituality? I believe it still exists in everyone. Everyone has those moments of true happiness and these moments tend to occur when you stop, take yourself out of the system, stop viewing the world from their own bubble and see true natural beauty. Like when you see a butterfly on a beautiful flower, or a dad playing with his children, or the ocean at night. Things like they should be, rather than what they are now.

(Don't know if that made any sense and apologies for the sweeping generalisations in there.)
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    the ammount of interest this thread didn't get ...convinces me more that we live in times of ME ...SELF ...I ...........I want ...I will have.I can do anything i like ...
    no spiritual food means people are spiritualy starving.
    your comments are vastly miscalculated honey....
    I think your thread hasnt got much interest as the questions you ask are hard and also a lot of people dont exactly KNOW how to define spirituality.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pepsi_104
    I think your thread hasnt got much interest as the questions you ask are hard and also a lot of people dont exactly KNOW how to define spirituality.

I disagree....Many times I have read those threads where people have to say something about themselves, what they like in life, what they want, all those questionnaire type threads, and its very evident that people love writing about themselves but rarely take the time to read and comment on what other people have said. I do it myself.

People generally love to talk about ME, I and MINE. Most people start them because they want to talk about themselves, not because they want to hear about others. beacuse they want other people to be impressed in some way with their music taste, their fashion sense, their dreams, their problems.

I don't think Spirituality is a difficult subject its just that people are very self obsessed and driven by their Ego.
  • Options

you saying we are thick or sommat :eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    you saying we are thick or sommat :eek:
    *blinks*
    erm nooooo..............
    would I do that????:p
  • Options
    *blinks*
    erm nooooo..............
    would I do that????:p

I would hope not because i'd have the lynch mob after ya :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

People generally love to talk about ME, I and MINE. Most people start them because they want to talk about themselves, not because they want to hear about others. beacuse they want other people to be impressed in some way with their music taste, their fashion sense, their dreams, their problems.

I don't think Spirituality is a difficult subject its just that people are very self obsessed and driven by their Ego.

I wouldnt necessarily clal it self-obssesed. I mean we only see things from our own perspectives so its hard to relate to other people without contrasting/making similarities between your own expierences.

there is the whole theory that there is no such thing as a non selfish act cos what ever you do will help you ego.......but is it neccessarily 'selfish'??????at least you could be helping otehrs and stuff.

I think you have a very closed view/narrow view.......that may be the case for some......but not everyones out there to impress others.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I would hope not because i'd have the lynch mob after ya :p
    *laughs*
    yeah riiiite...like im scared of your threats
    pah!
  • Options
    All of us can only see life through our own eyes ...try as we might we will never see life totally from anothers perspective. This is the Ego - we all have it and we are all driven in some way by it.
    The important thing is to be aware of this fact.

Spirituality is a totally personal thing and however much we try to explain it we can never make another person fully experience it. Perhaps this is why the question is so hard to answer.
  • Options
    *laughs*
    yeah riiiite...like im scared of your threats
    pah!

It was a joke........smiley :p

that means im joking :D
  • Options
    what i'm getting at here is the fact that in this very material age we live in ...your right! an ever increasing number of people haven't a clue about spirituality becuase the word it's self never even enters their minds.
    we are living in very spirualy barren times.
    instant millions are possible and desirable ...fame seems to be within reach of everyone, almost ...got to have the latest mobile phone or i'll stand out as either a dumb ass or poor or both. oh i don't like this nose ...must get another one ...
    the capitalist system AND ...organised religion have almost wiped
    out truth and beauty. it truly worries me ...i was going to ask if most of you thought this to be a good thing but ...most of the youngsters on here are oblivious to spirituality anyway so are oblivious to the answer.
  • Options
    Hehe, my mate has a T-Shirt saying "Spirituality is for Stoners". Like how hippies used to go out into fields and talk about deep meaninful stuff.

I just think this is too deep for the forum personally.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Hehe, my mate has a T-Shirt saying "Spirituality is for Stoners". Like how hippies used to go out into fields and talk about deep meaninful stuff.

I just think this is too deep for the forum personally.
    spirituality is to deep ...ants are to dumb ...i'll get the hang of this place one day.
  • Options
    As my 'Tag-line' below (freedom is knowledge of ones necessity) states....I think I'm with you on this one MR.

My sister told me today that she saw a kid in a shopping centre the other day (about three) shouting 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds 'I want a MacDonalds'

The sad thing is....she probably got one.
  • Options

The sad thing is....she probably got one.
    it'll be the nose soon then ...

i don't like this nose ....i hate this nose i want another one
  • Options
    I want to be cloned I want to be cloned I want to be
    cloned I want to be cloned I want to be cloned I want to be
    cloned
  • Options
    I want to be cloned I want to be cloned I want to be
    cloned
    oh my gawd ...silly as it sounds that could be a future possibility! i want another one me ...NOW!

since the dawn of time, men from all cultures at every point in time have needed to believe that there is something or someone of greater superioity to all of us. this need seems to be built in ...only in humans. i think my views on religion and my hatred ...rare i use the word hatred but ...my hatred of popes and bishops is well known by now. it is these people i blame more than any others for the spiritual desert we now live in.
    we have entered the spiritual dark ages and i find that dangerous. i don't believe we as a species have been so lacking in spirituality as we are now. the I ...ME ...and MATERIAL belongings has never existed on such a massive scale before. never. we are in uncharted waters.
    as the WORLD OF SELF ... gets ever deeper entrenched into our hearts and minds then the world can only become meaner, cruler .
    ..more and more SELF ...ish. beauty is becoming a thing of the past as we are more able to remodel our physical appearance whilst ignoring the real inner self.
    back to self harming for a moment ...at this moment in time i believe it to be a spiritual ilness and it's going to be pretty hard to convince me otherwise. it is an ilness of SELF.
  • Options
    . i back to self harming for a moment ...at this moment in time i believe it to be a spiritual ilness and it's going to be pretty hard to convince me otherwise. it is an ilness of SELF.

;) Yes

But.......Think of all those who don't self harm.....they must get something from teir upbringing that gives them the spiritualty they need not to do that to themselves.
  • Options
    ;) Yes

But.......Think of all those who don't self harm.....they must get something from teir upbringing that gives them the spiritualty they need not to do that to themselves.
    theres millions of them out there taking drugs, stealing cars, getting extremely drunk, shopping, never come out of their rooms or stop playing digital. getting violent. how many people are now capable of a lifetime relationship? how many kids have both their mother and father ...two of the real genuine thing ...parents.
    from where i'm sitting we don't seem to be doing very well.
    we seem to be loosing a lot of very basic skills.

most of us agree that cctv is a good thing on the whole but ...why is it good? because things are going so out of control that we can longer trust each other ...so many people are simply trying to steal off each other in the great land of self that even our houses have cctv. we are even loosing the ability to trust.

racial tension that didn't exist before 9/11 is now disturbing.
    our life skills seem to be slipping away.
  • Options
    theres millions of them out there taking drugs, stealing cars, getting extremely drunk, shopping, never come out of their rooms or stop playing digital. getting violent. how many people are now capable of a lifetime relationship? how many kids have both their mother and father ...two of the real genuine thing ...parents.
    from where i'm sitting we don't seem to be doing very well.
    we seem to be loosing a lot of very basic skills.

most of us agree that cctv is a good thing on the whole but ...why is it good? because things are going so out of control that we can longer trust each other ...so many people are simply trying to steal off each other in the great land of self that even our houses have cctv. we are even loosing the ability to trust.

racial tension that didn't exist before 9/11 is now disturbing.
    our life skills seem to be slipping away.

I had two parents together all through my childhood...When I was 14 I asked my mum why the hell she didn't leave my dad ! They split when I 21 (about time) but I'm not cutting myself or mugging old ladies.

None of my friends are stealing from eachother......Though people are raised in the best of circumstances it doesn't mean they'll turn out right. perhaps we need the demons??
  • Options
    To be honest I think we're losing the ability to cope - we assume things should be perfect because that's what we're sold, however it's all an illusion.

If something isn't right, not perfect now we just change it; get a new wardrobe - make yourself feel better, get a divorce - get married again and feel better, get a boob job - make yourself feel better, feel down - get a new job and feel better. But it's searching for something you can't buy or you can't physically do and it's the trying too hard that gets people down.

Ultimately you can choose what to think about - of course background & various other influences can hinder that - but presently I think we are thinking about the wrong things.

The most important things are invisible.
  • Options
    I had two parents together all through my childhood...When I was 14 I asked my mum why the hell she didn't leave my dad ! They split when I 21 (about time) but I'm not cutting myself or mugging old ladies.

None of my friends are stealing from eachother......Though people are raised in the best of circumstances it doesn't mean they'll turn out right. perhaps we need the demons??
    ha har ...i can tell you about them as well ...i've had my share ...hopefuly they have been exerc exorcised!
    i'm a bit drunk now.
    i had two parents as well and on the whole it was a sound little family.
    i never wanted to imply that everyone ...most people on this site yes though. i would put money on it ...are spiritualy lifeless. some are breathing.
    how people actualy get any kind of spiritual food, feeling or knowledge of... has almost been erased. while we marvel at our own inventions ...
    our humanity is being chipped.