Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Just How Safe Is Ebay?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been wanting to buy some Music Merchandise from Ebay for ages now, but I can't bring myself to hand over Credit card details..
How likely is it that I'm gonna be robbed of all my money from my account?!! and how likely is it that I'm not gonna get what I bought?

Any Ebay stories would be great!

Thanx Ilora x

Comments

• Options
    I bought the preeeeettiest red Playboy phone cover off eBay :D It's sooooo loveleh and only cost about £3. Wooo and it was delivered like, a day after I ordered it so huzzah and stuff.

Not bought much else though. But so far it's been alright. You can sorta find out if the people suck at delivering stuff and things though. 'Cause people give feedback and you can see the negative feedback comments (if any) and what their problem was.
  • Options
    i got the eminem tickets off there

it was the best night of my life.
    and my step bro got a mini disc player off there

and my mums husband got a digital camera....

seems safe!
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    I've not ever heard of any troubles with it's security.. People I know that use Ebay have never had any trouble :)

Most Ebay users are great, and any tricky transactions are usually solved quickly :)
  • Options
    I've been buying Cds, records and the odd poster off eBay for nearly two years now and I've never had any problems at all
  • Options
    I only registered with them a while ago & i never gave any credit card details, just a isp addy. Then if i buy i pay po or cheque. Much safer.:)
  • Options
    Bought tonnes of stuff off eBay - never had any problems.

PayPal is pretty secure
  • Options
    I bought a £400 digital camera off E-bay a few months back, transaction went smoothly,

Recently bought a nice laptop off someone also on E-Bay and transaction went smoothly too.

So yeah generally e-bay is safe, always be certain to look at someones rating, make sure they have 0 negative comments and at least 100 feedbacks before buying anything tho just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    I use ebay all the time and have never had any problems. I don't buy very valuable items though, and I think I would be wary of spending a fortune.
    It's safer to pay by cheque, although paypal seems secure for buyers. It's a bit more problematic for UK sellers, though I haven't had any problems with that either. However, if you go to the ebay community forum then there are various complaints listed.
    Always check feedback and you should be fine..
  • Options
    a bad one.....

A friend of mine 's brither was selling his mobile hand set on ebay over the weekend, and the guy who bit did the direct into the bank thing. And his brother sent it on sat, andway, last night these guys called there house saying they knew where they lived ect, and threating them all, (him, his bro, mum, &dad) anyway, he went to the cops, and filed against them. All is ok as far as i know now.

But just becarefull who you sell to.
  • Options
    Use Barclaycard. Anything above £50 they cover!

I hate EBAY closed my account, dodgy ppl.
  • Options
    Don't use a credit card!

Pay by po or cheques.

My brother got scammed. He bought a ps2, sent off the £200 and it never came. These people had a huge scam going - building up good comments by selling small stuff and then not sending people the expensive stuff once they had paid.

However my brother has now bought loads from there and not had any problems, but they were clothes and other fairly inexpensive things.

If the item is expensive, be very careful and check their history and ratings.

Otherwise you should have no problems.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Markeh

and at least 100 feedbacks before buying anything tho just to be on the safe side.
    I think thats a bit extreme. Ive got 69 positive feedback and none negative, and have been buying and selling on ebay for ages. Ive never had a problem.
  • Options
    you just have to be careful.

i've been buying and selling for ages and i've never had a problem.

my housemate has had all sorts of trouble.

then again, i buy and sell clothes, mostly, and he sells expensive electrical equipment.

the cheaper the item, the less likely you are to get scammed.
  • Options
    Re: Just How Safe Is Ebay?
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    I've been wanting to buy some Music Merchandise from Ebay for ages now, but I can't bring myself to hand over Credit card details..
    How likely is it that I'm gonna be robbed of all my money from my account?!! and how likely is it that I'm not gonna get what I bought?

Any Ebay stories would be great!

Thanx Ilora x

The best guide is to see how many positive responses the person has and see what people have written about them - if they sent the goods quickly, etc. I bought a digital camera off some woman who looks after her kid during the day - but I was shocked to see she's sold over 1,500 items on ebay and has 99.99% positive feedback - only about 2 negative comments out of that many - that's a pretty good set of recommendations.
  • Options
    You know you've got more chance of gettin' your credit card details stolen in a high street shop that on the net?
  • Options
    I sell second hand clothes and dvds on ebay, just to make some pocket money for holidays and stuff. Most of my buyers pay by credit card via paypal. So far no problems, a couple of non payers, but in general a lot better than I expected! I haven't been doing it very long having said that. All the people are keen to keep their feedback rating positive and are more than happy to answer any questions.
  • Options
    Do what others say and check the person has a good feedback.

Go here and read some of the threads talking about being conned

Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    I've brought : Aeris (FF7) wall scroll, semi-pro disco light, stereo microphone, Final Fantasy IX.

I've sold : Steve Backley autograph on a postcard, headset, tape recorder, graphics tablet.

You definitely don't draw the line between good and bad at a rating of 100. People don't withdraw my bids just because I have a rating of 9. As long as anyone has a postive rating (or zero if starting out), then I'll bid from them.