Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Banning smoking?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3158811.stm

Pizza Hut has banned smoking in its restaurants.

A good move I say. And the state HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!! :cool:

That's the way it should be; property owners should decide whether or not to permit smoking not the government.

Comments

• Options
    How about the rights of smokers then?
  • Options
    What rights? :lol:
  • Options
    The ones you always (and only) go on about. :lol:
  • Options
    Well it's the property owner who ideally should decide. If that inconveinces smokers then they can go elserwhere.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    What rights? :lol:

the same rights as the person who decides to drive without wearing a seatbelt.
    ad1.jpg 29.8K
  • Options
    driving wihtout a seat belt only effects the person not wearing it

someones smoke is inflicted on the people around them
  • Options
    Actually it might affect others around him, especially if the person not wearing a seatbelt is sitting at the back.

And of course people seriously injured in an accident for not wearing a seatbelt would still demand free treatment from the NHS.

The remark was made because monocrat is the forum's champion of 'rights' and 'freedoms', tirelessly campaigning for all sort of individual rights from the right not to pay tax to the right to own a nuclear weapon.

I suspect in this case monocrat's enthusiasm is not prompted by concern for the health of Pizza Hut's customers. But rather by the 'right' of property owners to do or allow anything they want in their property.

I'd be more interested to know if mono thinks restaurant owners have the right to set up smoking-only restaurants, or ban disabled people for instance.
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    You seem to be mixing up private clubs or residences with restaurants. Regardless of who own them, restaurants have a duty to provide a service under certain conditions. In a private club you would or should be able to ban non-smokers or disabled people if you wish. But not on restaurants.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I'd be more interested to know if mono thinks restaurant owners have the right to set up smoking-only restaurants, or ban disabled people for instance.
    This is somehing quite different. Yes, owners have the right to set up smoking only restaurants but they wouldn't be doing themselves any favours as the majority of people in Britain do not smoke. Banning disabled people is not the same as banning smoking in a restaurant is it? Of course not.

A smoker can smoke outside the restaurant whereas a disabled person cannot stop being diabled for an hour or so whilst they eat lunch.
  • Options
    There is no difference in a restaurant or a private club.

Both have private owners who should be able to determine who goes there. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    This is somehing quite different. Yes, owners have the right to set up smoking only restaurants but they wouldn't be doing themselves any favours as the majority of people in Britain do not smoke. Banning disabled people is not the same as banning smoking in a restaurant is it? Of course not.

A smoker can smoke outside the restaurant whereas a disabled person cannot stop being diabled for an hour or so whilst they eat lunch.
    Yes, I can see a potential niche for smokers-only restaurants, bars, etc. A narrow one, though, since even the most ardent smoker is unlikely to welcome the secondary fumes of a dozen or so fellow puffers. It would be more of a political point-scoring exercise than a commercial concern.
  • Options
    This is my message to Pizza Hut... http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/positive4.jpg
  • Options
    Government regulations are there to ensure that basic standards are kept and that essential rights are respected in public places.

Regardless of restaurants being privately owned they offer a service to the public and if they want to earn a licence to operate as a restaurant then they have to observe the rules.
    Banning disabled people is not the same as banning smoking in a restaurant is it? Of course not.

And I agree with you completely. But what mono is saying that non-smokers should be banned from restaurants if the owner decides so. A disabled person cannot stop being disabled for lunch, and a non-smoker cannot become one for lunch either. Much easier to ask some smokers not to smoke during lunch, or to wait for a smoking table.

Contrary to your assertion mono there is a difference between private clubs and restaurants. A restaurant's licence will be withdrawn if the restaurant owner doesn't fulfill its obligations towards health, safety and disability legislation. If he's not happy with that he's welcome to lose the restaurant and to apply for a private club licence.
  • Options

Why can't they ban disabled people?

And?

The restaurant owner should have the right to determine who has access to that restaurant. Therefore that includes banning disabled people if they choose.
  • Options

The restaurant owner should have the right to determine who has access to that restaurant. Therefore that includes banning disabled people if they choose.
    You really are a sad individual. I am choosing to ignore your stupidity.
  • Options
    Heck, I'm not sad.. :cool:

Disabled people simply have to seek custom elsewhere if they aren't permitted to go into certain restaurants.
  • Options
    And of course what you continue to ignore is that restaurants and private clubs are two different things. And that in order to obtain and keep a restaurant licence you must meet health, safety and disability legislation.

Poor monocrat! Cannot ignore paying taxes, cannot own a gun, cannot own a nuclear weapon, cannot open a restaurant and ban disabled people, is constantly oppressed by the tyrannical majority...

The world is so unfair isn't? :lol:
  • Options
    We live in a supposed demorcarcy, so thus the Government shouldn't have to enforce any anti-smoking laws, it should be up to the property owners and places to decide, although if it means that health of workers is protected then I can see their point.
    Personally I do not smoke but I think it is terrible that we seem to be castigating smokers as the scourge of the earth!
  • Options
    And of course what you continue to ignore is that restaurants and private clubs are two different things. And that in order to obtain and keep a restaurant licence you must meet health, safety and disability legislation.

Poor monocrat! Cannot ignore paying taxes, cannot own a gun, cannot own a nuclear weapon, cannot open a restaurant and ban disabled people, is constantly oppressed by the tyrannical majority...

The world is so unfair isn't? :lol:

And poor you in not implementing you Marxist utopia. ;)

Restaurants shouldn't be exempt by special rules.
  • Options
    Re: Banning smoking?
    Pizza Hut has banned smoking in its restaurants.

Whats the suprise in this?

Its a restaurant, many restaurants are non smoking :rolleyes:
  • Options

And?

So do they get to ban total fucking wankers ????

Sorry but your really are the lowest of the low !!!!!!!!!!

Your opinion on this is so fucking wrong. I hope you dont wake up like my Dad and end up totally wheelchair bound overnight.

Your a wanker !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    So do they get to ban total fucking wankers ????

I don't know. :lol:
    Sorry but your really are the lowest of the low !!!!!!!!!!

Pfft, I doubt it/

Your opinion on this is so fucking wrong. I hope you dont wake up like my Dad and end up totally wheelchair bound overnight.

Your a wanker !!!!!!!!!!!!
    :lol:

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :crazyeyes :crazyeyes
  • Options
    I don't know. :lol:

Pfft, I doubt it/
    :lol:

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :crazyeyes :crazyeyes

So you find it amusing???

What a total fucking MONOPRAT you are.

Fuck right off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I don't know about this one; my head says yes, ban it, it kills people. But my heart says its nice, its part of our culture and I like it. I dunno! (for once)
  • Options
    if i turned up at your restaraunt with my disabled duaghter and you said you don't let people like her in i'd take great pleasure in knocking your fucking teeth out!
  • Options
    Please don't Roll!

You'd be infringing his 'rights'...
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    if i turned up at your restaraunt with my disabled duaghter and you said you don't let people like her in i'd take great pleasure in knocking your fucking teeth out!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Can I assault people who offend me too?

:lol::lol::lol:

Too rich......
  • Options
    Please don't Roll!

You'd be infringing his 'rights'...
    :rolleyes:

Yes I believe EVERYBODY has rights.

You don't I assume....
  • Options
    He has a point rolly. Assaulting him won't help.
This discussion has been closed.