Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

abortion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm not pregnant, just curious.

i read the factsheet on abortion and it said what i already thought; ie that there are only certain circumstances under which an abortion can be performed, one of which is danger to the mental health of the mother. now... is this serious mental health issues? or does it include... "i don't want a baby, i'm too young, i don't have enough money, this is the wrong time..." etc? also; does that cover all abortions, or just on the nhs?

i ask because people talk about abortion like it's an 'easy' option; well not easy exactly but easy to procure i suppose. and under those rules it doesn't sound it. so... a lil confused.

Comments

• Options
    I think when it talks about injury to the mental health of the woman, it's quite broadly speaking, and I also think it depends on the doctor(s) the woman sees at the time and how sympathetic they are to her cause. I'm not sure about your question about private vs NHS, maybe they've got some stuff on the Marie Stopes website? :confused:
  • Options
    Most women can get abortions, if the docter or hospital wont agree, the you can go to the brittish pregnanceyt thingy, sorry cant remember the name, its BPS anyway and they are more sympathetic. You need 2 doc sigs.
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    There's some useful information from TheSite.org here.

And Brook also offer info on their site, you can find it here.

Hope this helps,
    CB
  • Options
    If u want one u are entitled to have an abortion whatever your reasons, you may however come across a doctor that has a personal or religious reason not to refer you (which by the way i find totally out of order as a doctor should really be impartial) but generally speaking anyone can have an abortion for whatever reason.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    i don't think its very fair to blame a doctor for not wanting to perform an abortion if it conflicts with their personal beliefs, especially if they consider that they are killing a baby.
    To be a docter, you must be inmpartial, otherwise its not fair, some people will get different answers to others and will put other docters in favour of others. It should purely be based on the womans/girls situation, not on your own.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    To be a docter, you must be inmpartial, otherwise its not fair, some people will get different answers to others and will put other docters in favour of others. It should purely be based on the womans/girls situation, not on your own.

exactly

Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    i don't think its very fair to blame a doctor for not wanting to perform an abortion if it conflicts with their personal beliefs, especially if they consider that they are killing a baby.

the doctor doesn't perform the abortion they only refer you to the clinic
  • Options
    The Mental health thing is VERY broad.....I know from my own experience that a woman can feel that to have a child at that time would cause mental hardship and that is enogh for a doctor to refer you!