Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

section 28

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't see any reason to promote homosexuality to children, Children of today already have hardly any innocence as it is.
    Leave them alone for God sake and let parents deal with things like this, when I have children I'd rather tell them about homosexuality myself, when I think they're ready and not let the teachers do it just because a load of overly Liberal people think this will make the country's next generation of adults be non-homophobic and completly non-prejudice.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    But it violates other rights. *Rights.* You know the word, don't you?

No it doesn't.

You wish. I suggest you re-read the thread a few times.

Heh whatever....:cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    I don't see any reason to promote homosexuality to children, Children of today already have hardly any innocence as it is.
    Leave them alone for God sake and let parents deal with things like this, when I have children I'd rather tell them about homosexuality myself, when I think they're ready and not let the teachers do it just because a load of overly Liberal people think this will make the country's next generation of adults be non-homophobic and completly non-prejudice.

There's a difference between promotion and information. Presumably you'd also want to ban sex education as a whole for ruining children's innocence? The whole point about this is that you stop playground (or parental) prejudices and lies about gay people affecting these kids. Also a lot of parents find it difficult to talk to their kids about sex and a lot of them have the attitude of "Let the schools deal with it" so if we as a nation believe in sex education to prepare people for relationships as well as health issues shouldn't this apply to gay kids as well as straight ones?
  • Options
    I don't really believe in sex-education, probably I don't remember receiving much if any.
    I don't think it's really appropriate for primary school kids (am I right in thinking this is where it's taught?), maybe secondary school is OK though.
    When I was 11 I had a mixed up idea of sex, but I don't think someone telling me it's how it's done at that stage in my life would have helped anything.
    I don't think you would get prejudices in the playground at such a young age because an 11 year old wouldn't be considering their sexuality at that age.
  • Options
    I don't really believe in sex-education, probably I don't remember receiving much if any.
    I don't think it's really appropriate for primary school kids (am I right in thinking this is where it's taught?), maybe secondary school is OK though.
    When I was 11 I had a mixed up idea of sex, but I don't think someone telling me it's how it's done at that stage in my life would have helped anything.
    I don't think you would get prejudices in the playground at such a young age because an 11 year old wouldn't be considering their sexuality at that age.

I was taught sex education at 11 13 and a bit during my GCSE Biology course. When we were 11 it was basically watching a series of videos about sex - the graphic parts were dealt with by having some cartoon rabbits kissing in bed and everything went on under the duvet and this was interspersed with real adults saying how important sex is in a relationship. Then if we had any questions we put them into a hat anonymously and the teacher and school nurse went through them. To be honest most of it was about how babies are made and puberty.
    When I was 13 we had our last compulsory biology lesson in the Third Form and so we were basically taught about contraception - primarily the importance of using condoms and about STIs. It was only when I did GCSE biology that we covered the details in any depth. So I'm using that as the basis for my argument which I assume is how most sex education is done.

Thing is when you're 11 kids are just getting into puberty and you have kids that age getting pregnant in extreme cases but they are starting to develop sexually so I think it's a good idea for them to be educated about what's going on and not have to rely on playground gossip about it. I think they should be educated about all types of sexual relationships, not the details just the basics at that age before the prejudices of others can make an impact of them. At the end of the day sex education, for all sexualities, is about increasing knowledge which is surely only a good thing?
  • Options
    11 year old wouldn't be considering their sexuality at that age.

stable doors and horses springs to mind

I think it is important that sex and health education start at an early age - health from starting school and sex ed from about 10+. obviously it needs to be done in a way that is appropriate, but if you had some sex ed before you got to 11 that might have helped you feeling so confused.
  • Options
    the thing is what does section 28 actually say, no promotion of homosexuality, or no information?

we had a general studies lecture,one of the few decent ones, about homosexuality and our lecturer broke the law (he said not sure though) by tellling us about how he realised he was gay and the history of gay rights etc, im straight but i found it informative still since it gives you a different perspective as he told us how he was beaten up and knived in soho when he went drinking with his friends just for them assuming hes gay coz hes in soho with a bunch of guys,even though he was

if the people who say it should be repealled so they can have PC classes,thats wrong coz tellin kids "you cant say its wrong 2 feel gays are unnatural "

it is the same as people saying religious education shouldnt be taught,lessons there for indoctrinating kids should be stopped, but informing children about different reliogions i feel is useful as it helps you understand the meaning behind their strange ceremonies and mini things

so i say schools should be allowed to teach children about the different ways of living their lives, but at an appropiate age, like the age when most people start or are begining getting the true urge to explore what they like sexually, ie around 14/15

*however i still think it is right to reckon gayness feels unright or against the grand scheme of things with outbein a homophobe as i think this yet i have a lesbian bestfriend, and i know gay guys and manage to have a laff with them still well not all of them but thats life*
  • Options
    Originally posted by LonDoNErcHriS85
    are begining getting the true urge to explore what they like sexually, ie around 14/15

Are you having a giraffe? 14/15? Most kids are aware of their sexuality from 10/11. I know I was.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Are you having a giraffe? 14/15? Most kids are aware of their sexuality from 10/11. I know I was.

well i cant desribe what i meant (not too articulate)

i knew what i liked from 10/11(girls) BUT at that age, not many kids go running around having sex with eachother are they!?

im on about an age when they can at least have some maturity about it, even if only by themselves or with the odd individual, because of fear of what their friends will think!

hope this clears up that im no retard,well i probably am still but not in that respect! :P