Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

section 28

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
at last section 28 is now on the way out and will soon become ineffective and a thing of the past. or will it? i think it was a bad idea at the time of passing and has taken too long to get rid of again. what do other people think?
The Silly String

Comments

• Options
    I think if the silly Lords attempt to block the repeal of S28 again they should be put to sleep.

Hopefully this time it will go through. It would not be difficult for the government to pass it through regardless, but when you think how long they've been messing about with the ban on hunting without actually doing anything, I kind of wonder if anything will be achieved before the next election.
  • Options
    Did New Labour promise in their manifesto in 2001 to repeal Section 28? If not then there is no pressing need to do so.

Why do gays want protection from this anyhow? If a parent doesn't want their child to be taught about homosexuality, isn't this their RIGHT?
    Just because a parent may be a prude, or oppose homosexuality on religious grounds that does not mean they should be condemned as being homophobic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Did New Labour promise in their manifesto in 2001 to repeal Section 28? If not then there is no pressing need to do so.

Why do gays want protection from this anyhow? If a parent doesn't want their child to be taught about homosexuality, isn't this their RIGHT?
    Just because a parent may be a prude, or oppose homosexuality on religious grounds that does not mean they should be condemned as being homophobic.

Ummm isn't homophobia defined as opposing homosexuality for whatever reason? :rolleyes: I think there is a very good case for repealling Section 28 - if you allow people to be banned from learning about something ignorance and prejudices fester in its place. Think about how many children who be it nature or nuture are growing up having gay feelings and have those feelings supressed because of acts like S28 telling them it's wrong and how miserable their lives are as a result of being in the closet. If you allow the only source of their information on homosexuality to be intolerant bigots you not only make these childrens lives miserable by stopping them being true to themselves but you also increase intolerance and homophobia in the wider community. To be honest with all the problems in the world today we could all do with more tolerance of each other.
  • Options
    Only 2-10% of people (and teens) are gay. What purpose would 'teaching' them about gays serve?
    To be honest with all the problems in the world today we could all do with more tolerance of each other.

Nonsense. There will ALWAYS be prejudice!!!! :cool: :)
  • Options
    Only 2-10% of people (and teens) are gay. What purpose would 'teaching' them about gays serve?
    A reduction in 'gay bashing', for a start?
  • Options
    Irrelevant.

No one should have the right to 'bash gays'. But that still shouldn't stop people being homophobic.
  • Options
    Putting aside what people have or haven't the 'right' to do (life doesn't work that way, one day you will finally see it) the reasons for repealing S28 is that teachers can make it very clear to children there is nothing wrong or reproachable about homosexuality.

I think everyone can work out that children can be very cruel and don't need any encouragement to bully others- especially if they're seen as different. S28 has prevented teachers from fighting homosexual bullying effectively, and has it helps perpetuate bigotry and prejudice. That's why it must go.
  • Options
    So it's either fighting prejudice or deterring bullying, which one is it?

It cannot be dropped by a few moments of teasing.
  • Options
    It's both.
  • Options
    If it's both, then either are unnecessary.

'Prejudice' is only bad if it violates people's rights. As for bullying then I'm not concerned if some child is picked on for being gay.
  • Options
    Mistake number 1. Prejudice is always wrong.
    Mistake number 2. You might be not concerned, but the rest of the country and indeed the world is. So bullying is also wrong.

Oh the injustice of democratic societies, where 59,999,999 people override the beliefs and rights of 1 individual, namely Mr monocrat. You are indeed an oppressed minority. My thoughts are with you! :D
  • Options
    Prejudice is not always wrong, unless acted on.
    Oh the injustice of democratic societies, where 59,999,999 people override the beliefs and rights of 1 individual, namely Mr monocrat. You are indeed an oppressed minority. My thoughts are with you!

The tyranny of the majority is a serious issue. Read up more and maybe you'd understand. :)
  • Options
    Prejudice is wrong. And that's why S28 should and will be removed.

No tyranny at all when the common sense of the majority prevails over unreasonable individuals.

Not that your argument makes much sense. You might not be concerned by gay bullying, but most others are. Therefore if things are left as they are the "rights" of that majority who believe gay bullying should be stopped would be violated. Oh dear! Back to the libertarian website to see how we can solve this! :D

The perfect solution would be for you for create your own country with your own rules. Unfortunately you live here, and the rules approved by the majority apply. Tough luck mate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Prejudice is wrong. And that's why S28 should and will be removed.

No tyranny at all when the common sense of the majority prevails over unreasonable individuals.

Prejudice is not wrong. No majority should have inherent rights over minorities.
    Not that your argument makes much sense. You might not be concerned by gay bullying, but most others are. Therefore if things are left as they are the "rights" of that majority who believe gay bullying should be stopped would be violated. Oh dear! Back to the libertarian website to see how we can solve this! :D

Bullying isn't wrong. It's part of childhood.
    The perfect solution would be for you for create your own country with your own rules. Unfortunately you live here, and the rules approved by the majority apply. Tough luck mate. [/B]

No thanks, I'll stay here until you see political issues from a more open mind. :D
  • Options
    Prejudice is not wrong. No majority should have inherent rights over minorities.
    Yes they should. It's the only way.

Bullying isn't wrong. It's part of childhood.
    Killing rich persons, stealing their property and re-distributing it amongst the people isn't wrong. It's part of life.

No thanks, I'll stay here until you see political issues from a more open mind. :D
    And you are more than welcome to stay. But I just fear you will live your life in resentment and will feel oppressed by the evil selfish majority. Because nothing it's going to change I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Killing rich persons, stealing their property and re-distributing it amongst the people isn't wrong. It's part of life.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's OK for people here to say I'm immoral for advocating bullying but sir take the biscuit.
  • Options
    So would you care to explain the difference between the two?
  • Options
    Would you?

I bet most people here have bullied and harassed others at some stage. :cool:
  • Options
    So?
  • Options
    So you admit you have??? :lol::lol:

Your arguments pertaining to bullying then are logically unwarranted.

:cool:
  • Options
    No I haven't admitted anything. Have you? :lol:

That bullying is a common occurrance does not mean is legal or right now does it?
  • Options
    Prejudice is not wrong. No majority should have inherent rights over minorities
    Which 'minority' do you feel is being hard done by in this instance?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    No I haven't admitted anything. Have you? :lol:

That bullying is a common occurrance does not mean is legal or right now does it?

No.

But you said 'so?' implying that you had!! Now logically that means your rants against bullying are hypocritical.
  • Options
    No. You started it by suggesting that because many people have bullied others it is acceptable. I have challenged that, using your own monosyllabic style.

And I'm still waiting to hear why bullying should be acceptable but killing rich people and re-distributing their wealth more fairly is should not.
  • Options
    Killing violates a person's right to life. Bullying does not.
    You started it by suggesting that because many people have bullied others it is acceptable

No you didn't. You attempted to state that you had bullied.
  • Options
    i have never likeddd this particular act and I am glad that in scotland it has gone for a while and now it is going in england too!
  • Options
    monocrat: i do believe in answer to your question previously that it was in labour's manifesto or certainly one of their selling points to the general public that they would repeal S28. And so therefore it is within reason for people to expect some moves towards repeal and repeal itself to have occurred sooner.
    in reply to the comment that bullying is a fact of life and part of growing up i suppose what kind of bullying you've been subjected to depends on your view here. i tend to take the view that a bit of name calling now and again will strengthen the character but when it is actually affecting the person in a negative way and the person is REALLY suffering then it becomes a little more serious. S28 tends to cause problems since homophobic bullying often escalates quickly to a physical level. with S28 it means that the correct measures cannot be taken to avoid further bullying. that's one of the main reasons why many students oppose it.
    The Silly String
  • Options
    Originally posted by sillystring

in reply to the comment that bullying is a fact of life and part of growing up i suppose what kind of bullying you've been subjected to depends on your view here.

It IS part of life!!!!!!! There's someone I'm plotting against in terms of bullying anyhow. :lol::lol:
  • Options

So Section 28 should be repealed as it discriminates against minority homosexuals.

Section 28 is an old piece of legislation that is tantamount to thought control. If all a child knows is 'healthy' heterosexual relationships then it thinks that 'unhealthy' homosexual relationships must be wrong and so leads to homophobia. Ignorance sows the seeds of hate and gagging our schools in this way should be illegal.
  • Options
    Killing violates a person's right to life. Bullying does not.
    But it violates other rights. *Rights.* You know the word, don't you?

No you didn't. You attempted to state that you had bullied.
    You wish. I suggest you re-read the thread a few times.