Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

student food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
what is/was/will be your top favourite meal when you're a poor student and not very good at cooking like me?

mine is potato squares. chop up a couple of potatoes into squares and fry them with whatever is in the fridge - pepper, onion, mushrooms, bit of garlic and a bit of dill :yum:

this meal has developed a lot since I first discovered potato squares, i intend to get everyone eating them when i go back to uni :D as they are simply :yum::yum:

i need more ideas though, for different foods, or i'll end up on a carbohydrate overload! :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im in catered halls and the food sucks but we have to cook for ourselves at the weekend and normally we just go to the pub or get take away, dominos pizza usually have a good student deal
    Mmmmm that sounds lovely! How long do you need to fry them for?

Good thread because I need recipes to take with me.

Healthy things...I'm already looking like a snowball. :(

For a cheaper pasta sauce: Tinned chopped tomatoes, peppers, onions and herbs. Chills much better for pasta salad too.

Pitta breads with salad and tuna or cheese.

I will be mostly living off mashed potato, sweetcorn, green beans and gravy though. :D
    another thing one of my friends did was charge people like £2 and use it to buy food and then cook for more than one person, which generally means you can be more adventurous
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    Mmmmm that sounds lovely! How long do you need to fry them for?

i do the potatoes on their own for about 5-10 mins to get them going then add the rest in. tis cool cos you can put whatever you like in :)
    Throw a couple of eggs in with that and you'd have a great omelete!

Be wary of Dominos (and similar places) student offers at the weekend. Try not to go over the top. My friend had Dominos almost every weekend from September last year. By the time he had finished the year in June, he had put on two stones.
    heh in the first year we had dominos during the week too to supplement the crap food, we reckoned we spent well over £300 on em each, didnt put any weight on strangely
    Rice noodles, stock cube. whatever green stuff we have in the house.
    I already live off it, why should things change when I'm at uni?

My favourite combination is a chicken stock cube, that chinese cabbage stuff, peas, a spring onion cut into strips, whole button mushrooms and a bit of bacon (cooked first). :yum: :thumb:
    we used to spend loads of money on food and cook properly...
    but my fave used to be pasta dishes
    bolognese and carbonara mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:yum:
    I did a fajita dinner the kit the other night for me, my brother and my boyfriend. that was fun. and tasty! I might do a few of them at uni :)

all the other ideas are great too (apart from the takeaway pizza :p ) faerielights I love the sound of your noodles :thumb:
    Mmmmmm... student food - can't wait to get back to Uni and be able to live off food of my choice again.

I tend to live on pasta with various different sauces, rice with chicken in sauce, a cheap roast dinner (Incl. Yorkshire puddings, chicken, potatoes, carrots, peas and gravy), but my speciality which someone at Uni introduced me to is pasta with gravy. Apparently people in York eat this (can anyone back me up on that :confused: ), but to anyone else it may seem alien to, you should try it, it's actually really nice.

I'm in agreement with Nastroman, if a few of you cook together and all contribute you can make much more adventurous meals, and you don't have to worry so much about buying too much of anything as it's much easier to cook for more people than it is to just cook for one.

A good investment if you're going to Uni and you're self catering is the George Foreman grilling machine, my next door neighbour at Uni has one and she cooks virtually eveything on there.
    A good investment if you're going to Uni and you're self catering is the George Foreman grilling machine, my next door neighbour at Uni has one and she cooks virtually eveything on there.

ive got a george forman and cannot express how good the thing is, you can cook virtually anything on it, normally cooks it well nice too, potatoe waffles are good when done on it
    Super Noodles :)

No actually, I find them too complex, so I usually reach for the Pot Noodle :D
    Re: student food
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    i need more ideas though, for different foods, or i'll end up on a carbohydrate overload! :)

I'm hoping to get some too before i start.

Otherwise, pasta and sauce(up to you) takes like 10mins to cook. And its high in carbo and fibre.
    Tin of chopped tomatoes, some herbs, dash of chilli powder (optional), an onion... fry it all together.

Cook some pasta, pour on the sauce et voila!