Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Loophole in motoring offences

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone heard about the legal loophole regarding motoring offences?
Two policemen have got let off because of the signs that were in place when they were caught speeding. The signs that were in place when they were speeding were illegal.
Where you have a picture of a camera and the speed you are allowed to go are the signs which have been proven to be illegal. The camera has to be set on a white background and it has not to have a black border, the signs that were in place had black borders, so they are deemed illegal.
So basically if these signs are anywhere in your area and you have had a speeding charge then you may be able to have your sentence quashed because they are illegal.
Just to add this happened near guisborough in cleveland.

But why in gods name were these signs put up if they are illegal ? Surely they must look into legal matters before they do things of this nature.

Edited to add :
Another story taken from www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk :)

Comments

• Options
    how bloody stupid is that???

God this country has gone to the dogs :impissed:

If you ask me, they shouldn't put them signs up in the first place. Hidden cameras. Much better :yes:
  • Options
    speed cameras do my head in, granted in some places they should be there, but 70mph limit on the motorway infuriates me, its totally inpractical in my opinion, but i always try and stick to the limits in urban areas etc

interesting thing someone told me, the police put a signup outside their village saying x amount of speeders caught this year, so someone graffitied it saying and no burglers/drug dealers

catching people for speeding is basically easy revenue for the government
  • Options
    Recently we went to Blackpool and they were doing major works, anyway they had a speed zone which was 50mph. As we approached it they had a box thing which showed our speed as 56 if I remember correctly so obviously we slowed down to the 50mph.
    I think theses type of things are good as you can be driving along and kind of forget to slow down, they worked on that stretch of road as no cars were speeding. Instead of wasting money with signs that dont really work I think this option would actually work.
  • Options
    Don't speed and you won't be giving the government "easy revenue."
    Hidden cameras are a good idea; how can people complain that they weren't aware that speed cameras were present, so got caught? The whole point of speed cameras is to catch people going too fast; if you don't speed, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Speed cameras should only be used as a deterrent. Motorists have the right to know that speed cameras are in use in a certain area, and that if they continue to speed they will be caught on camera.
  • Options
    speed cameras are a good idea ...i actualy drive more carefully to avoid getting any more friggin points!
    BUT ...this technology should have freed up thousands of coppers to do what coppers are supposed to do ...catch and beat up criminals. instead ...thousands of coppers are using hand held cameras and van cameras ...doesn't make sense does it.

as for the loopholes ...it shouldn't fucking matter if the sign is done in ink marker on the back of a torn up cornflakes box should it? the guy was speeding do him ...simple. then slap the wrist of whoever put the cornflake box there and get them to do it propper like innit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nastroman
    And....? Don't speed. Quite simple to be honest.

I hate speeders. I really do.

Yesterday on the way to work I was doing 30 in an urban area and some twat flashed his lights and beeped his horn at me, then pulled along side and shouted abuse at me. He then sped off. I know who he is though because he is a patient at the surgery where I work. However, after I told the doctor the story, he has been asked to find another doctor!!

As for that story Becky, didn't the Police authorities there condemn their own men? The Police had wanted them prosecuted.... well, at least they publically said they did!
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    *laughs*

david slows down to 20 miles an hour if someone behind him is behaving like that.
    I don't have the bottle, I just looked away and wanted to cry! I was really shaken. :(

My mate told me the best thing to do is to lightly touch the brakes so that you don't slow down but the lights come on. The person behind breaks really suddenylt hinking you're going to stop and then you floor it. This method still involves flooring it and speeding though, and knowing my luck the bugger would chase me home or something!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    *laughs*

david slows down to 20 miles an hour if someone behind him is behaving like that.

Are all men the same, because thats what my hubby does, just to piss them off even more :lol:

Yeah Bumble the police authorities did condemn them, but is that because they felt as though *they had to*.
  • Options
  • Options
    I once got out of my car and threatened to kick the shit out of the bloke who was tailgating (sp?) me.

Nothing happened then but it's not a clever thing to do. All too often I've seen situations where the second bloke accepts the challenge and a brawl ensues. And a brawl is not the worst that could happen. Sadly nowadays you don't know what people will be carrying with them.