Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cannabis Vs. Speeding

Speeding is a very dangerous activity and road accidents kill thousands of people every year, but when the government trys to catch people theres an uproar?

Now they have to colour speed camaras bright yellow so that people can see them and avoid them, well you shouldnt be speeding!!

But yet with cannabis, a drug that causes virtualy no harm to its users what so ever has to fall under a much tighter criminal law.

Why cant the drug squad be dressing in bright yellow so pot smokers can avoid them too?!!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Cannabis Vs. Speeding
    Originally posted by bongbudda

But yet with cannabis, a drug that causes virtualy no harm to its users what so ever has to fall under a much tighter criminal law.

Yes, but if someone is driving under the influence of cannabis they could cause serious harm...

That's what annoys me about speed cameras too - people just slow down but then speed back up again once they've passed. But in black areas people slowing down for any any amount of time can save lives.
  • Options
    Yes driving under the influence of any drug is dangerous, but that is quite different from smoking at home.

What annoys me is the selective view people have to what laws should be inforced and how this isnt linked to the danger involved in the act.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Cannabis Vs. Speeding
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    Yes, but if someone is driving under the influence of cannabis they could cause serious harm...

I don't think he's talking about driving under the influence. More a case of traffic cops (and speed cameras) are clearly marked so why aren't drug cops?
  • Options
    It is nonsensical that someone who could have killed someone may only get fined whereas someone growing cannabis in their shed could be imprisoned. There's the issue about dealing but there much worse drugs than cannabis. Much worse.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Cannabis Vs. Speeding
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    I don't think he's talking about driving under the influence. More a case of traffic cops (and speed cameras) are clearly marked so why aren't drug cops?

I realised that after...I'm still drunk. :blush:

I'd love for them to catch everyone that speeds, but then again I'd rather someone see the speed camera and slow down rather than carry on and kill someone.

And if drugs police were clearly marked it may push dealing and whatnot deeper underground.

(Not making sense. I shall leave. lol.)
  • Options
    There is something else to this issue: speeding is an offence of the middle classes as much as the lower classes. Therefore bastions of law and order such as the Daily HateMail have been vigorously campaigning against the "persecution" of drivers who are caught speeding- simply because so many of their peers enjoy nothing more than speeding down the motorway with the Jaguars and BMWs. And the campaign has achieved some results.

If smoking joints were a tradition of the middle classes you can bet you would see a vigorous campaign by the Daily Mosley asking to stop the "persecution" of harmless cannabis smokers who light up on their cars. But it isn't, and unsurprisingly the rag is happy to demand higher sentences for drivers who are caught stoned at the wheel.
  • Options
    Its about 3500 people a year who die in road accidents isnt it? A very scary figure when you think about it, thats 100 a day.

They're a total death trap, yet everyone thinks they can avoid it.
  • Options
    Its about 3500 people a year who die in road accidents isnt it? A very scary figure when you think about it, thats 100 a day.

:( Yes, that's why I despise people who speed, drive under the influence of anything or drive with illegal stuff. It's so fucking selfish.

I think anyone who speeds and is caught should be made to meet the family of a victim of a car accident.

And very good point Aladdin. But these people have to drive fast - important places to go, important people to see! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: Cannabis Vs. Speeding
    Speeding is a very dangerous activity and road accidents kill thousands of people every year, but when the government trys to catch people theres an uproar?

Now they have to colour speed camaras bright yellow so that people can see them and avoid them, well you shouldnt be speeding!!

Why cant the drug squad be dressing in bright yellow so pot smokers can avoid them too?!!

Speeding is 'wrong' because of the POTENTIAL harm caused!!

I could drive at 40 mph on a 30mph road and harm no one.

The war on drugs is a failure and cannabis (and all other narcotics) should be legalised.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Speeding is 'wrong' because of the POTENTIAL harm caused!!
    :lol:
  • Options
    It's not funny, it's truth.
  • Options

As I said driving too fast does not necessarily cause more accidents.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    No, and throwing bricks from a 10th floor window at pedestrians doesn't necessarily kill them.

So presumably there is nothing wrong with that unless the brick hits them, right? :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Maybe not. But that shouldn't stop people from speeding.
  • Options
    I'd give a thumbs up for the total decriminalisation of cannabis. It's not anywhere near as dangerous as alcohol, has medicinal properties and it's not like it makes people violent.

But, the government might feel we have too much freedom if it's allowed.
  • Options
    Driving stupidly causes accidents.
    People that are too bloody stupid to drive (i.e. are not aware of what's going on around them) should not drive.

Driving stupidly, i believe, also covers hammering around in 30 limits and other areas where it's common sense to not drive at excessive speeds.

As far as motorways go, I see no problem with doing 85 and keeping a safe distance from people. The accidents happen when people don't look before pulling out, or leave themselves enough space to stop...things carried out by people that should not be behing the wheel of any vehicle.

I don't know much about cannibis, but I'm confused as to why they want to make criminals of people that cause about as many problems as (maybe less than) someone going to the pub, drinking 10 pints and smoking 20 cigarettes.
  • Options
    I could drive at 40 mph on a 30mph road and harm no one.

Of course you could, thats until a child with no road sense walks out in fron of you. Doing 30mph would not hurt someone as bad as if you were doing 40mph.
    Im sure you would rather do 30mph in a built up area and if one of these kids did walk out infront of you then chances are the kid would only suffer broken bones rather than something much more serious?

Also its all the other idiots on the road you need to think about. If your driving along and a stupid idiot is going too fast and bumps you from behind then obviously the slower the car is going the less damage they do to you and your vehicle?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Cannabis Vs. Speeding
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Of course you could, thats until a child with no road sense walks out in fron of you. Doing 30mph would not hurt someone as bad as if you were doing 40mph.
    Im sure you would rather do 30mph in a built up area and if one of these kids did walk out infront of you then chances are the kid would only suffer broken bones rather than something much more serious?

And? Potential harm is only caused if you speed.

And what about the parents? Why should they allow their children to play near roads? Some of the respsonsiblity for this has to lie with them....
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Cannabis Vs. Speeding
    And? Potential harm is only caused if you speed.

And what about the parents? Why should they allow their children to play near roads? Some of the respsonsiblity for this has to lie with them....

and? if you are doing 40mph in a 30mph you are speeding :banghead:

I appreciate parents should watch children but kids will be kids and maybe see an ice cream van and just run, they do not have the road sense as us grown up people. Kids will be kids and see something which they see as interesting and they do not think "hey is it safe to cross" they just go and its not till they are hit does it actually sink in.
    Obviously drivers should be aware of dangers in built up area so they should also be alert and watch out for these dangers.......surely?
  • Options
    It's only a 'child' who gets injured.

I'm pissed off in having to be 'kind' to children. Why? Because of 'innocence'? Life isn't always fair and children have to learn that.

Drivers who speed should ONLY be prosecuted if their speeding causes harm.
  • Options
    I'm pissed off in having to be 'kind' to children. Why? Because of 'innocence'? Life isn't always fair and children have to learn that.

You were one of these `innocents` or have you forgotten that.

Children have to learn but when you get a 5 yr old wanting an ice cream then they just do not even think of the dangers, its up to drivers to be alert and cautious on the roads.

And why do you constantly repeat yourself in every thread? you say the same things, using the same words, your like a record when the needles got stuck repeat......repeat......repeat.....repeat.... Do i need say anymore?
  • Options
    You were one of these `innocents` or have you forgotten that.

Yes.
    Children have to learn but when you get a 5 yr old wanting an ice cream then they just do not even think of the dangers, its up to drivers to be alert and cautious on the roads.

No. The parents should be 'alert'.

And why do you constantly repeat yourself in every thread? you say the same things, using the same words, your like a record when the needles got stuck repeat......repeat......repeat.....repeat.... Do i need say anymore?

It's just what I do. Is it bad? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yes.

What you have forgotten that you were one of these innocents? see when you use one word replies you are not making yourself very clear.
    no, The parents should be `alert`
    Ok forget about children for the moment. Lets say you hit a stray dog doing 40mph now if you were doing 30mph do you think there would be any difference damage wise to your car?
    is it bad ?

Well to be honest yes when you drag the same arguments to every thread, using the same words. Try at least using different words and not be so predictable :rolleyes:
  • Options
    What you have forgotten that you were one of these innocents? see when you use one word replies you are not making yourself very clear.

Yes I have 'forgotten'.
    Ok forget about children for the moment. Lets say you hit a stray dog doing 40mph now if you were doing 30mph do you think there would be any difference damage wise to your car?

No.

Well to be honest yes when you drag the same arguments to every thread, using the same words. Try at least using different words and not be so predictable :rolleyes:

So I look 'silly' in expressing my views on issues?!! :rolleyes:
  • Options

So I look 'silly' in expressing my views on issues?!! :rolleyes:

Where did I say that?

but since your asking well yes I will agree with what you said on this one :lol:

As regard to hitting something if you are going 10mph less then obviously there is going to be less damage to your vehicle, thus less damage to whatever you hit :rolleyes:
  • Options

As regard to hitting something if you are going 10mph less then obviously there is going to be less damage to your vehicle, thus less damage to whatever you hit :rolleyes:

Well the 'dog' in your example would probably die. That's not my concern.
  • Options

Yes I have 'forgotten'.
    [/B]

Misplaced childhood?

So say you had kids, you wouldn't treat them as innocents? You'd make them act like adults?
  • Options
    I'd treat me 'children' as I see fit.
  • Options
    I'd treat me 'children' as I see fit.

How would you see fit?
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown

when i'm driving while stoned i naturally drive at the speed limit and am a much more carefull driver. cannabis should be compulsory for those that speed all the time.