Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A -levels getting better because of easier subjects?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Please let some of those As be for me! :( Hmm. No, better be realistic.

*is having trouble breathing*

Easier subjects? Media easier yes. Psychology - easy? It's actually really hard considering the amount you have to learn and the level to which you must learn it to attain a good grade. It can get complicated in parts, especially if you haven't carried on science. Personally I never found it hard - just too much at moments. I did psychology and sociology and yes compared to physics or maths they are easier, but also completely different.

I don't think it's fair of anyone to say they're becoming easier. Mark schemes and marking criteria change almost ever year and with the new AS/A2 system - you can't compare all A-level results. Of course with our new technology and even more materials to study and revise from coupled with a larger amount of students applying to university of course grades are going to annually improve.

It annoys me how they brush good results off as the papers being dumbed-down, can they not accept young people work hard to get a good education these days?
  • Options
    Re: A -levels getting better because of easier subjects?
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    is this because of the numbers of students taking supposedly easier subjects such as media studies and psychology over more traditional subjects such as maths and sciences?

at universities this is certainly the case, i read an article in the independent recently written by a chemistry lecturer saying how a lot of universities are sacrifcing their science departments to expand or create new departments trying not to generalise but like media studies, psychology, etc.

doing a chemistry degree i certainly get p*ssed off at the difference in difficulty and workload required in the degrees, eg some pals of mine had 10-15 hours a week on their courses, i had that over monday and tuesday, i guess the one bonus this creates is it increases the value of anyone doing a BSC
    [/bitter rant]
  • Options
    In what subjects do people get the most As though?

Just to add even more about psychology - I don't know why so many more people are doing it because personally I despised it by the end of the course. As you learn such a wide range from the psychological field it all contradicts itself in the end...and well...I just hate it.

As for that article - of course people are choosing A-levels they think they'll do best in. Now there's just even more to choose from.
  • Options
    The exams are easier than they have been in the past, this is clear from taking past papers even from 1997. The failing is not with the students but the exam boards, and ultimately the department for education. British children are being failed by the education system, outdated compared to most other, especially in europe. The government and teachers are loathe to implement more changes on the back of the ridiculous cock up made of AS levels. The question is not whether the exams are being "dumbed down" but whether the current education system is,
  • Options
    They say this every single year that A Levels are getting easier, and if they had got easier every year that they said it, surely there would be no-one failing at all by now. I don't think it's true. In fact, as concerns maths I think they have got much harder, because of the way the questions are now laid out.

We did some past papers from 1990 and I scored so much better on those than on the 1999 paper (I did my A Levels in 2000). In 1990 they asked you straight out what they wanted to know (e.g. integrate blah blah blah). On my paper they had all this bollocks story behind it of how John needs to carry a window over a hill in wellies and sunglasses.... you'd read the whole paragraph and still not know what you were supposed to be doing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by fucked up duck
    The question is not whether the exams are being "dumbed down" but whether the current education system is,

:yes: Very good point. No-one has faith in our education system anymore; especially students and teachers.

(I got my As :hyper: )
  • Options
    No-one has faith in our education system anymore; especially students and teachers

i think thats a goo point, i think the chem. department at my uni is totally inept and because of this have no faith in them, and i think this leads to my dislike and lack of motivation towards the course, id say the above applies all the way down the education system
  • Options
    One thing I don't think I agree with are these plans to scrap GCSEs and A Levels alltogether and have a diploma type thing instead. I think one of the biggest problems with all these educational shake-ups is that they don't take into consideration the needs of the universities, they just concentrate on getting as many people into education as possible.

I wasn't in favour of the AS Levels when they first came out either, I'm glad I did my A-Levels when it was still the good old choose 3 subjects.
  • Options
    Oh I also hate the way this debate always comes about on results day. I think it puts a real dampner on the day for students. Can't they leave it until the next day?
  • Options
    I don't think exams are getting easier. I think there is more pressure placed on young people by the media, the education system and their peers to perform well in order to get into better universities etc.

I think the pressure grows every year and therefore young people wear themselves out busting their arses to get the grades they need.

Well done everyone who got their results today. :)
  • Options
    I would think its nigh on impossible for us to tell whether or not the exams are getting easier.

BUT there is the serious issue of if so many people get an A it does mean less.
  • Options
    Last year on results day, I was at a friend's house and we were all drinking a few cold ones and having a shindig. The telly was on, and on the news some 60 year old guy came on and started saying how the exams were getting easier. My mate andrew, the quietest guy in the world who got CDD jumped to his feet and screamed at the TV "EASY?! EASY?! WHY DON'T YOU F***ING DO THEM THEN?". I'm sick of this, why is it in this country we seem to despise success. People are doing well, oh the exams are obviously getting easier. I got 3 As and I busted my arse off for 2 years solidly, and to hear some jumped up Tory politician on the TV who probably ahd their education bought for them both angers me and saddens me. Hmmm it's interesting how when the AS/A2 system was brought in the Tories said it would create too much stress and hardship for pupils, yet when we got our results they called them easy. It's simple, these days education is an investment. You need to do well in your A levels to get to uni, and with uni entrance levels at record numbers they have an increasing importance, they mean more to a lot more people than they did in say 1968, so people work harder, and they have after school revision classes and extra revision books etc. Just because people didn't give a shit about them when these elders did their exams doesn't mean they should belittle our achievements.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    i would, but unfortunately a sadist who likes to make others suffer the pain she once did is not going to be kind today :p

oops, was not blaming you. meant more the media types really. the news people who also show the swots who are so obviously going to get 2590685 grade As open their results live on TV ;)
  • Options
    i worked for my B in Politics thank you very much!
    And my B in geography.
    There not easy though. I got a D in History:( For some reason and a after a year of trying in Biology a U.

I HATE the way the media acts likes its all a piece of piss.
  • Options
    The A-level system has been reduced to near redundancy. By having such a high percentage of passes, it is no longer really showing the quality of the British A-level student. It simply shows that with enough guidance and assistance, anybody can pass.

There are two main reasons for the high number of passes. Firstly, the move from harder subjects (e.g. any of the sciences) to less challening ones (e.g media studies). Why would the various heads of the Qualification and Examination board be pushing so hard as to not let anybody call into tdoubt the quality of A-levels? They are clearly trying to cover up their own short-comings.
    Secondly, there is far too much coursework. I'm not saying that coursework isn't valid, just that it carries too much weight overall. Scotland has reported a 5% drop in the number of passes. This coincides with them restructuring their system to place a lot less precidence on coursework.
    Coursework is too unreliable and, at the moment, is far too susceptible to outside interference.
    It is not right that a 'C-student' can score an 'A' based on a couple of pieces of coursework.

It seems like the only benchmark for quality is the 'Super' A-level. Only the top candidates are allowed to enter in for it, and 50% of them failed this year.
  • Options
    again...

it is rather evil that the media does portray a levels are easier because, the system is different now, for the better or worse i dont know

personally i slogged my guts off for my a levels (i got all B's in maths physics and chemistry) especially on physics and maths and im off to UCL next year to study chemistry with maths of which i cant wait (partially for the union bar, haha)

ooh and i have a decent point, thews news channels say the amount of passes have gone up, do they know waht a pass is, AN E!!!! all it means is more idiots have been trainded to answers the questions better such that they can pass

students should get more credit (not media studies ones though! the amount of true brain power it requires, is frankly a joke)

oh and to be more objective about this, actually every single centre(school/college) cannot change the amount of A's and E's it awards by more than 5% per year, even if its a good year itll get marked up or down, (my chemistry tutor was telling us one year, that the way the exam board moderated work, noone got A's even though some people really deserved them and then didnt get their university place)
  • Options
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    The A-level system has been reduced to near redundancy. By having such a high percentage of passes, it is no longer really showing the quality of the British A-level student. It simply shows that with enough guidance and assistance, anybody can pass.
    That's true to an extent but guidance and assistance would always help and surely that's what teachers are for? Let's also remember that as has been said a pass is an E or above and so although if you get an E that's an official A-level qualification, it isn't worth as much as a higher grade. So really all it does is reduce the number of grades from 6 (A-E + U for fail) to five (A-E). Universities still select on the basis of grades so it does help determine an appropriate level.
    There are two main reasons for the high number of passes. Firstly, the move from harder subjects (e.g. any of the sciences) to less challening ones (e.g media studies). Why would the various heads of the Qualification and Examination board be pushing so hard as to not let anybody call into tdoubt the quality of A-levels? They are clearly trying to cover up their own short-comings.
    I think the reason for the drop in sciences is because people find it boring and so it is harder for people in that sense. But if we have full choice over our A-levels why should we do subjects we're not going to enjoy? I know if I had to do Maths or sciences at A level I wouldn't have lasted the first term without dying of boredom. If people are playing the system and doing easier A levels like media studies then I think you have to admire their initiative if nothing else - if they can't do the work they'll soon be found out at uni so there's no real gain. Besides which unemployment is higher for "easy" A levels and degrees for obvious reasons so it all balances out in the end.

Secondly, there is far too much coursework. I'm not saying that coursework isn't valid, just that it carries too much weight overall. Scotland has reported a 5% drop in the number of passes. This coincides with them restructuring their system to place a lot less precidence on coursework.
    Coursework is too unreliable and, at the moment, is far too susceptible to outside interference.
    It is not right that a 'C-student' can score an 'A' based on a couple of pieces of coursework.
    I only had one module of coursework out of eighteen that I did, in fact most coursework is in the "harder" subjects like maths and science. But yes coursework can be drafted over and over until it's perfect and outside sources but to be honest isn't that more relevant to real life - isn't it like preparing a company report? I mean you wouldn't just go into a company presentation and blather on without the necessary preparation like in an exam so perhaps coursework is more relevant to the working world.
    It seems like the only benchmark for quality is the 'Super' A-level. Only the top candidates are allowed to enter in for it, and 50% of them failed this year.
    Did you take a Higher Extension Award? (the Super A-level). One of my friends did and he said it was comparable to a low degree level say 1st year or 2nd year. The work is also a lot more like a degree with lots of outside reading, this is usually on top of their normal A-levels that they take. I think it would be unrealistic to expect everyone to do those instead of the normal A-level, also they're just marked on a pass or fail - no grades.
  • Options
    There is a very BIG difference between critising the exams for being easy and the exams being worth less than they used too.

I'm sure they are still hard, but that makes NO difference if too many people pass, then it doesnt matter how hard they are they are going to worth less.

Even if A-levels were the hardest exam you could ever do if everyone passes then they are worth less than if less pass.
  • Options

The exams aren't meant to be so hard only a select few pass. Qualifications are about gaining an education that is formed not only from your own hard work and determination, but from the guidance, support and inspiration from teachers.

People do not pass simply because they are guided, people pass because they put in the work themselves.

Coursework is vital. Not only does it relieve pressure for the exams, but it lets people develop their skills of research and working to deadlines. The amount of work some people put into coursework is staggering. And the standard at which some are produced is really high. If someone works hard at their coursework and receives an A for that, but only Cs in the examined module it does not mean the person is incapable it perhaps means coursework is more suited to their abilities; and they would deserve say an overall B.

I don't have much faith in the system and I do wonder about marking, but I know students are working harder than ever now and have the means to do, so success is deserved.

I don't think the A-level has lost its worth though - my A-levels certainly aren't worthless!
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    The exams aren't meant to be so hard only a select few pass. Qualifications are about gaining an education that is formed not only from your own hard work and determination, but from the guidance, support and inspiration from teachers.

:confused:

Exams are about assessing the capabilities of students. It's the lessons which are about gaining an education.
    People do not pass simply because they are guided, people pass because they put in the work themselves.

Precisely. It is a barometer of an individuals achievements.
    I don't think the A-level has lost its worth though - my A-levels certainly aren't worthless!

As am employer, I have to say that they mean less to me now than they used to. I used you use the grades to differentiate between people's academic abilities, but if everyone passes then I can't do that.

Besides, do you honestly believe that teenagers today are more intelligent than those of my generation, or even those of my father's?

That isn't a reflection on students, but on a system in which so many people can get high grades.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    That isn't a reflection on students, but on a system in which so many people can get high grades.

just because the pass rate goes up doesn't mean everybody is suddenly getting high grades :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    just because the pass rate goes up doesn't mean everybody is suddenly getting high grades :confused:

thats true. Anything above about 33% is a pass usually. Howwver i suspect the majority of people are getting Es and Ds. Not the higher grades.
  • Options

I didn't say everyone was.

More people than ever are getting pass grades. Doesn't that worry you, or do you assume that this means that children are more intelligent and capable than they were last year?
  • Options
    I didnt even know about them! Which says quite alot, but I'm not sure if thats about me or my school! :rolleyes:
    I would have loved to have taken one of those exams had I had the chance to. I got an A all my Alevels, but if you look at the actual marks there is still alot of variety-

589/600
    549/600
    506/600
    499/600

Thats 90 marks- nearly a grade-but noone will ever know about that because theyre all the same in the eyes of the system...

And back onto if theyre getting easier, from looking at old papers, i found some of the ones from the 80s were easier for me than the current ones. But then again, looking at geology ones expecially in the last 5 years or so, the ones i sat in June were easier than those i tried.

I heard on the Radio someone suggesting that the teachers knew how to prepare their studenst better. I think that has a part to play in it. My geography teacher had taken studied the last 10 years worth of questions, especially the more recent ones, and took us through the all essays we were likely to have to answer, both generally and specifically, and in the exam it was just a case of churning out the essay that fitted.
    I dont know the statistics for this year, but it definately worked last year- 25 students, 13 A's, 11B's and a D.
    But does that prove we know our stuff or that we know how to answer the question?
  • Options

Exactly - which proves A-levels still have their worth and aren't getting easier.

MoK - I said qualification - which encompasses the learning process and being tested for your abilities.

No, I don't believe students are more intelligent. It's just that not only does the system work in a different way now, but students are taught differently and have access to so many more educational resources ie. CD-Roms, the internet, revision guides etc.

Of course you can differentiate - there's a huge difference between simply a pass 'E' grade and an 'A'. As there's a huge variety of subjects to choose now it also means some people have breadth in their A-levels allowing for diverse skills whereas some specialise in certain subjects which allows for well-tuned specific skills. And as Faerielights said there are differences within grades - some people skim the grade whilst others are well into it.

In employment obviously once you have a degree the importance of your A-levels lessens, but wouldn't you rather have someone who has showed consistant academic success thus showing a dedicated and determined attitude plus the right skills for the job?
  • Options
    Where is the value in having an A-level (irrespective of the grade), if 95% of people in your school year have one too?

Where is the value in having an A-level at 'A' grade, if 20% of people in your school year have one too?
  • Options
    They say this every year dont they :rolleyes:

How I see it is the majority of people have studied really hard and when they come out with stuff like this I imagine them people being a bit disheartened, I know I would be.

So for all them who did do well and get the grades stuff them people who say they were easy or easier, you deserved all you got and well done :thumb:
  • Options
    More people are doing A-levels, what is wrong with that? I think it's a good thing personally.

What do you suggest we replace it with then?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    As am employer, I have to say that they mean less to me now than they used to. I used you use the grades to differentiate between people's academic abilities, but if everyone passes then I can't do that.

Besides, do you honestly believe that teenagers today are more intelligent than those of my generation, or even those of my father's?
    No, I think that students these days work far harder to attain higher grades.

I know I was quite capable of getting four A grades. As it was I got one A and three B grades. Had I taken different subjects I would have got lower (science subjects) but this does not make me any less intelligent.

I don't think grades should be used to assess academic abilities to be honest. Sometimes people don't get the grades they are capable of, usually because of HARD exams.