Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Political Judges

In the UK, there is a long and proud tradition that judges cannot be dismissed by Pariament or Government, in order to protect the autonomy and the impartiality of the judiciary. So what does Blair try and do? Him and Blunkett, the oppressor's champion, try and make it so judges have to be appopinted by Parliament, and can be summarily dismissed by Parliament.

This scares me. Not only does this mean Parliament can control the judiciary- like in the United States with Bush filling the Supreme Court with judges that will a) get him elected and b) overturn Roe v Wade- it means that the judges will not be allowed to judge according to the law and their abilities, as politicians will demand stiff sentences for the social pariah of the day- not just people like rapists or paedophiles, but, say, spies who leak Government policy about, say, invasions of Iraq.

Id be interested if anyone can actually try and justify why Blair should be allowed to remove this important safeguard against dictatorship and abuse- after all, if a judge is controlled by Pariament, it isnt going ot decide against the people who will sack him is he?

Blair must be stopped.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it's all very disturbing. losing your freedoms by stealth would i imagine be bad enough but to see all these things happening and or being disscussed openly by these people is awful. doubly awfull because we thought we had a labout government and it exposes the fact that we havent got any such thing. if this is the 21st century left i dread to think what the right are like.
  • Options
    MR, you only need witness how deeply the roots of reemerging fascism have taken hold in the fabric of US society and the subsequent systematic undermining of every founding principle of liberty and justice for the American people to see what the 21st century Right are made of.
  • Options
    Blair is 'allowed' to do it because the power of the PM aren't clearly defined.

Much of his duties are based on convention.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    MR, you only need witness how deeply the roots of reemerging fascism have taken hold in the fabric of US society and the subsequent systematic undermining of every founding principle of liberty and justice for the American people to see what the 21st century Right are made of.
    it's all very disturbing clan. and how many people care? a public blinded by consumerism and science ...
  • Options
    She Blinded me with science....SCIENCE!
  • Options
    Scary.

Too much power and in the wrong hands.