Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What do people think about AI and generative AI?

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,671 The Mix Elder
Lately I have been thinking about the uses of AI specifically generative AI which tends to worry me the most. I have been anxious at to what AI could really be capable of doing especially for writers and artists. I wont lie I have used AI in the past and I am not proud of it. Also recently I was watching one of my favourite crochet youtubers and they did a video of AI and how they used this app which helped to figure out what colours to do for a blanket. Then I found some more youtubers I follow who knit and crochet who have tried out and used AI. I feel bad for following them I guess because personally we artists shoulden't be using AI as we know better not to. Like come on we are'nt lazy we can easily just create something without having to rely on AI. It just worries me that eventually the world will become lazy and less creative using their brains. I think gone are the days when people could really be creative I guess. Its just be making me feel very anxious lately and I know it sounds silly doesn't it?. I just wanted to see if there is anyone out there who feels the same maybe idk. I tend to overthink everything and nothing sometimes. Maybe I should unfollow but I want to follow because they do make their own crochet patterns as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uoRnb9EEIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibeuaD-C-u8
Just a person who likes pop culture and films

Comments

• Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,671 The Mix Elder
    I know though AI can be quite useful for people who are neurodivergent or may have disabilities such as visual impairment because ChatGPT I think can be used as a screen reader I'm honestly not sure.
  • lunarcat522lunarcat522 Moderator Posts: 608 Incredible Poster
    @Amy22 I have quite mixed feelings similar to yourself

I do agree there's definitely been an overreliance and it worries me the possibilities in the future of what it could do.

I feel like I have a similar view of AI to social media - it can be really useful, but it can also be detrimental, it really depends on how people decide to use it

It can be useful as a tool and aid for people who are neurodivergent etc to help interpret responses, construct notes etc (e.g. AI assisted note taking, grammar assistance)

However AI can be deceptive and businesses are seeing it as a shortcut to profit rather than commissioning artists, and I know people that have been on my course caught for AI plagiarism so it's affecting education and lecturers are having to scrutinise and internally verify assessments meaning turnaround takes weeks longer

Unfortunately I think there are huge risks that we might not even be able to comprehend yet because it's developing so quickly so I think we all just have to be extra careful and have awareness of the recent abundance in its usage
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,671 The Mix Elder
    @lunarcat522 I totally agree with you. I had to do a course on it during my tv and film traineeship and we tried this app on discord which is basically AI art and it felt so weird to do personally because of what AI does personally by scanning and taking others works. I feel bad I have used AI in the past especially playing the game AI dungeon sometimes now and then. Im glad that there is someone who feels the same about it too because I feel like AI could potentially be used to do worser things in the future. Who knows?.
  • lunarcat522lunarcat522 Moderator Posts: 608 Incredible Poster
    @Amy22 It's an interesting conversation that definitely needs to be had, great idea for a discussion thread as it will be interesting to hear what others think
  • sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,575 Extreme Poster
    I think I'm in a similar boat to you guys - i think it has both its benefits and its problems and I think ultimately it comes down to what it is being used for and by who. I think it can be good for little things such as helping others, coming up with ideas or helping to explain different topics. However I don't think we should be so reliant on it and we should also keep in mind the important role of people and their imaginations. I also think there is easily the potential for it to be misused by people and more should be done to prevent this.

In short - i think its good and bad, just depends on who and why its being used. :3