Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Age Regression (Information Post) + my personal experience

Rose113Rose113 Community Champion Posts: 1,091 Wise Owl
disclaimer this is a hard topic for me to post about so please be kind when reading <3

What is Age Regression

This is when someone thoughts, behaviour and emotions change to a younger age and so they present that way. This can happen to anyone at any age for whatever reason that is more personal to them so for instance this may happen due to someone becoming stressed and so their body and mind uses age regression as a coping mechanism, Sometimes this can be a positive mechanism for someone however this can quickly change to a negative.

Should I be ashamed that I do this?

you shouldn't be ashamed or embarrassed that you turn to this coping mechanism however I know this is easier said than done, we all have a coping mechanism that may seem unusual to others and that is okay <3

Age Regress and wonder how to cope with it?

There isn't any helpline help out there for age regressors but there's still some ways that can help you. you can :
  • watch cartoons or a comfort show that you watched when you were younger
  • colour and draw
  • talk to a friend that you trust and knows when your regressing / regressed
  • wrap yourself up in a blanket
  • you can also drop me a private message on here if you ever need to chat (regressed or not)
as some of you know I age regress and I admit it makes me feel so alone when it happens but I also have a great friend that helps me when I'm this way. some may have noticed that sometimes I start to talk weird in the group chats and have to leave for a little bit and that is why I have to step away from chat. I regress for a lot of different reasons but one reason is when I get overwhelmed and my mind just goes a bit upset and not right.

you aren't alone <3 there's always someone there for you (including me)
✨ Just a stupid worthless freak ready to give up ✨

Comments

• Options
    SpaceOtterSpaceOtter Community Champion Posts: 825 Part of The Mix Family
    Heya river,

Sending the biggest hugs.

This is very informative and helpful thank you, i know it would've been hard to share. But we're so proud of you, im sure theres others out there who can relate and will find this very helpful.

Sending so many hugs river

No pressure to reply but
    Do you have any advice for how people could support someone who age regresses?
    You're awesome!
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,022 Community Veteran
    Hi @River

Your very brave to post about this even as I know you mentioned that posting this on here was a big challenge so proud of you for mentioning about this on here because it can be super hard for most people to post about their own personal experiences.

I am sending you a big hug just like @SpaceOtter and I also want to thank you for talking about this because it is often quite unknown to most people and therefore age regression should be made aware of. I think this thread will benefit a lot of people on here.

I do feel like I can relate to this a little bit because I often do watch a lot of cartoons and childhood shows sometimes when I feel anxious because I find they can take the pressure off my thoughts a bit.

I also agree with what @SpaceOtter mentioned but honestly no stress or pressure to reply straight away but if you do know, what would the be the best way to support someone who age regresses or uses a similar coping technique?.

Sending you a massive hug,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Rose113Rose113 Community Champion Posts: 1,091 Wise Owl
    edited March 12
    Thank you @SpaceOtter and @Amy22 <3 I'm happy to answer any questions :) obviously it's different for everyone but I can tell you what my friend does :) my friend is an online friend that helps me with it. She speaks in a gentle and calm way and calls me the nicknames that we agreed on.

My friend helps with my normal regression but also a regression that is a bit different for me that I don't really talk about. We do like a visualization role play so she will say things as if she is doing it irl so like if I'm feeling scared she will say something like *wraps you up in blankie* if that makes sense.

If she doesn't understand what I'm saying she will calmly and nicely ask me if I can spell it out and to take my time.

I suppose the main things are :

- patience
    - calmness
    - creating an overall safe environment
    ✨ Just a stupid worthless freak ready to give up ✨
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    This is a great resource @River thank you for making this and spreading awareness. Unfortunately there is a lot of stigma surrounding age regression but educating people on it will hopefully reduce it.

Just want to add it can also be a trauma response, but obviously not in all cases

It's quite a common thing to happen with people so I agree there's nothing to be ashamed of <3
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,022 Community Veteran
    @River Thanks for sharing and explaining how to support someone who age regresses well as this will be super helpful for me now too especially when meeting new people. As @lunarcat522 there is sadly still a stigma around it and not many people are understanding or kind around it especially to those who use it as a regular coping mechanism everyday to get by. There is nothing totally about it and actually it can be helpful for some who are struggling.

Sending hugs,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films