Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Young carer support

Hi I'm new here, I'm 20 and for the past I'd say 14 years I've been a young carer and I've been really struggling on how to balance my personal and home life and don't know how to cope... I'd really appreciate any advice or support 🙏 ❤️

Comments

• Options
    Rose113Rose113 Community Champion Posts: 1,091 Wise Owl
    Hey @mxllxe_xox welcome, there is a young carers chat that runs on a Monday. You can find it here on a Monday evening at 8pm https://client.chatwee.com/popout/599c194bbd616d8b43891808
    There's also normal support groups, you can use here https://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/group-chat
    As well as obviously on here
    ✨ Just a stupid worthless freak ready to give up ✨
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    Hi @mxllxe_xox welcome to TheMix. I just wanted to say thank you for reaching out on here and that you are definitely not alone with your struggles. As @River mentioned theres a young carers chat that runs every Monday evening and there's also the support groups as well as general chat for when you just want to chill and talk to like minded others. There's also our wellbeing thread too where you can post about anything on your mind right now. Im always here for you too <3.

Sending you a big hug,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    Hi @mxllxe_xox Home and personal life balance can be really difficult for the average person, let alone if you have caring responsibilities. Like the others have said on here there's a Young Carer's Chat every Monday 8pm to 9.30pm where you can say whatever is on your mind and it can be quite a good place to unload.

I'm a carer myself so I know it can be really challenging at times <3

Are you at college or university or anything like that?
  • Options
    ameliaJayneameliaJayne Moderator Posts: 58 Boards Initiate
    Hi @mxllxe_xox welcome to the community, it is lovely to have you here. <3
    Definitely recommend the young carers chat.
    There are also some really good articles to read on this too. This one in particular: https://themix.org.uk/mental-health/supporting-others/how-i-found-support-as-a-young-carer-40309.html

• Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 645 Incredible Poster
    Welcome to the Mix!

It sounds really difficult for you being a long time young carer and struggling to balance your home and personal life. I guess in a way, it may feel like your caring responsibilities take up a big amount of time and you may have less time to yourself.

It's good that you've joined us and I hope we can help you, even if it's just to listen. For more practical support though, you might want to see if your local authority/council has young carer groups or groups for carers in your area. They might be able to help you too.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    Welcome to the mix <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    amy02amy02 Moderator Posts: 124 The Mix Convert
    Hey @mxllxe_xox welcome to the community, it's great to have you here! :3
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,062 Wise Owl
    welcome @mxllxe_xox - and like the others have said, there's loads of sources of support that they've linked in their comments

it's lovely to have you here with us :)
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Hey @mxllxe_xox, welcome to the Mix! :)