Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hello everyone

dyoverdxdyoverdx Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
I’m a mature student who is doing A levels and I have struggled with my mental health. My studies where disturbed due to me being sectioned and I was in hospital for 5 years.
I do struggle with loneliness and i texted SHOUT and they recommended this site.

In my free time I like drawing, writing poems, playing chess and working out. I’ve started mix martial arts classes recently and I am really enjoying it.

“Most people are so ungrateful to be alive. But not you. Not anymore.”

Comments

• Options
    GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 605 Incredible Poster
    Hey @dyoverdx it's lovely to have you join the community :)

It sounds like life has been quite tough on you over the last few years. We're here for you if you'd like to share more. You can always start your own thread to give yourself that space to connect and get some support.

Martial arts sounds fun! I did Judo for a few years when I was younger but wasn't very good :D How have you been finding it?
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    edited March 2
    Welcome to the mix! <3
    I love martial arts as well in particular taekwondo :)
    Post edited by ebyrne556 on
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    Hi @dyoverdx welcome to the mix! I love writing poems too! <3
  • Options
    edited March 2
    Gemma wrote: »
    Martial arts sounds fun! I did Judo for a few years when I was younger but wasn't very good :D How have you been finding it?
    I’ve got to be fair they threw me at three end on my first lesson with ju jitsu. Also people don’t go easy on me when sparring even if I’m a beginner. But I prefer it like that.
    ebyrne556 wrote: »
    Welcome to the mix! <3
    I love martial arts as well in particular taekwondo :)
    I wish we covered taekwondo in our classes. IMO if you combine taekwondo + Muay Thai you’d have a good variety of striking skills.
    Hi @dyoverdx welcome to the mix! I love writing poems too! <3
    I wrote this poem in hospital which I don’t mind sharing (the Tesco reference was when I went AWOL once and smashed up bottles):

I wrote this one because recently I've been going through some difficulties in my life.

TW: mental health recovery / self-harm depictions
    I've lost trust and made changes,
    It seems like it's gone forever and I hate it,
    If only I had the strength and the patience,
    But I've past that and it's crazy;
    Everyday feels like the same but I'm aging,
    My youth is dying - it is being wasted,
    And that costs much more than your wages,
    Because I'm wasting my life but I want to save it

I really don't when it will be my time,
    I meant that in both ways and I cry,
    Will I stop it or will I die?
    I beg for your help please (for my life)
    Please do what you can do and I'll try
    And grow my wings and I'll fly,
    I'll be safe and go sky high

I accept that I need help, I need it
    But (for most people) they won't believe it,
    Please give me a chance and you'll see it
    I'm this close to accepting defeat
    It's like I want to talk but I can't speak
    Because I can't just get out and be free
    But let's just hope and try to achieve
    The best I can, I still dream

It's like I'm in a constant suicycle,
    But I have to plan what to do and fight it,
    Because I can stop, it's true, no lie,
    I can tell you that I don't have to die,
    If I stop cutting it will be alright,
    I am so glad that I am still alive,
    Give me one more chance, I will surivive,
    I promise that I'll do my best and try

But am I getting the help I need
    Whilst I sit in Tesco and I bleed?
    Whatever you choose, I beg you, please,
    That it helps me to stop doing these things,
    I am asking for help and want you to think,
    That whatever you decide it'll slowly shrink,
    I write, not with blood, but with ink,
    So you I can live my life - my kitchen sink
    Post edited by Gemma on
  • Options
    GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 605 Incredible Poster
    edited March 2
    dyoverdx wrote: »
    I’ve got to be fair they threw me at three end on my first lesson with ju jitsu. Also people don’t go easy on me when sparring even if I’m a beginner. But I prefer it like that.

I would probably be terrified and never return :D So good on you!

The poem that you shared is so powerful, @dyoverdx. You write so beautifully and I can really hear how much you went through. It's so positive to see you join the community on the other side of this. Recovery isn't easy and it's amazing to hear you're back studying after this time. That takes a lot of strength and you should be proud of yourself for that.

I've just added a trigger warning and placed your poem within a spoiler just so the community are aware of the content. :)
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,018 Wise Owl
    Hii @dyoverdx and welcome to the mix! I’m so sorry to hear you struggle with loneliness, I struggle a bit with it too. We’re here for you <3
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 457 Listening Ear
    Hello @dyoverdx, welcome to The Mix! I hope you're okay - I hope this community can bring you comfort during your difficult times.

I also like to draw and write poems too, and it's really great that you're enjoying your mixed martial arts classes!

I look forward to seeing you around the boards! <3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,011 Community Veteran
    Hey @dyoverdx welcome to TheMix. It's cool to have you here and I hope you enjoy your time on here. How are you finding your A - levels right now and what are you studying just out of curiosity?. I think drawing and art is a super nice hobby to have and it is also super relaxing as well.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Amy22 wrote: »
    Hey @dyoverdx welcome to TheMix. It's cool to have you here and I hope you enjoy your time on here. How are you finding your A - levels right now and what are you studying just out of curiosity?. I think drawing and art is a super nice hobby to have and it is also super relaxing as well.
    I’m studying Maths, chemistry and biology. I’m finding them ok as I have a good and realistic routine to study them.
  • Options
    I’m studying Maths, chemistry and biology. I’m finding them ok as I have a good and realistic routine to study them.

Ooh nice I did those subjects at A level :)
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Welcome @dyoverdx to the community! :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    amy02amy02 Moderator Posts: 124 The Mix Convert
    Hey @dyoverdx welcome! I hope you enjoy your time on here <3
  • Options

What is your best tip in getting at least a B for each subject?
    My back up offer wants three B’s.
    My main choice wants an A*AA
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,011 Community Veteran

Ah nice!. Im glad that your finding your subjects ok at the moment and I think it's good that you have got a good routine so you have enough time to study them properly. I did the complete opposite and only did year 12 and then lockdown happened. I did media, RE and art.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options

I guess it depends on the exam board - I did OCR for bio and chem which doesn’t have essays but i know AQA does.

Biology I found to be very content heavy so I used quizlet to make flashcards using my textbook. There’s a website called physics and maths tutor which is a good bank of exam questions by topic so you get a feel for what to expect. I did the same with chemistry but found it took a lot less work - i dont know if that was just me.

As for maths just do loads of practice questions, again you can use physics and maths tutor. I’m not sure if you’ll be able to access it but there was a website called integral maths that my school used - it has like videos and worksheets and stuff to build up your skills, that’s good for the more difficult stuff.

I think the most important thing is just to focus on your weakest areas and try to work out WHY you got a question wrong, I guess that’s the way to gain the most from your revision.

Are you like in college or something? So you know what grades you’re working at? Cuz I guess if you’re not being set little assessments every now and again, you could create those yourself from past paper questions, and that will give you an idea of what to focus on.
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,061 Wise Owl
    hi and welcome to the mix @dyoverdx - it's good to have you here with us all :3
  • Options
    Sunshine12Sunshine12 Posts: 90 Budding Regular
    Hey @dyoverdx it's nice to meet u, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here! that's also really cool that u do mixed martial arts that sounds rrly fun :)
  • Options

I guess it depends on the exam board - I did OCR for bio and chem which doesn’t have essays but i know AQA does.

Biology I found to be very content heavy so I used quizlet to make flashcards using my textbook. There’s a website called physics and maths tutor which is a good bank of exam questions by topic so you get a feel for what to expect. I did the same with chemistry but found it took a lot less work - i dont know if that was just me.

As for maths just do loads of practice questions, again you can use physics and maths tutor. I’m not sure if you’ll be able to access it but there was a website called integral maths that my school used - it has like videos and worksheets and stuff to build up your skills, that’s good for the more difficult stuff.

I think the most important thing is just to focus on your weakest areas and try to work out WHY you got a question wrong, I guess that’s the way to gain the most from your revision.

Are you like in college or something? So you know what grades you’re working at? Cuz I guess if you’re not being set little assessments every now and again, you could create those yourself from past paper questions, and that will give you an idea of what to focus on.

I’m a private candidate. I had to pay for my exams and practicals. My predicted grade from teacher marked assignments where three As but it’s not accurate. I only did a few and it was a last minute thing to post my predicted grades for uni.
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    Welcome to the Mix! It's so good to see your determination to continue with your education despite your struggles. I like that you play chess too :)
  • Options
    Katie12Katie12 Posts: 243 Trailblazer
    hey, welcome! i've always wanted to try a martial arts! its great that you're enjoying it!