Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Revisiting old house

This discussion was created from comments split from: [OLD] The 'I need a hug' thread - please read first post before posting :).
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,505 Skive's The Limit
    edited February 20
    Context - added by moderator:
    Siena wrote:
    So basically I want to go back to a house I lived in until the age of 16. It’s like 5 mins walk from where I live now.
    Long story short. My mum is a hoarder/ some sort of OCD and extremely controlling so at home it was cluttered and because she was so controlling she wanted to do everything her self and no one touch her stuff so when things broke like leaks and stuff it would never get things and in the end loads of things needed repairing and the house is basically collapsing well was when I left. When I was 16 they out right brought a new house cause my mum inherited that sort of move. Both houses are fully paid for. And for a bit she only came to visit while she still lived at that house. But like 3 years ago she visited and hasn’t left the sofa so for a few years no one in our family has entered that home. One light has always stayed on that whole time and still surviving

But anyway more recently we notice a boarder around the window and door. At first I thought it was the window when I was in the car but I checked the next day and it was the window and door. Now i don’t know if they added it or I just didn’t seee properly but there is two different boards like not one massive one so it’s possible it was done in two different days. There also has a light that’s been switched on that wasn’t before and one window doesn’t have what was originally there. So someone’s 100% been in there and surely if it was the police or counsil they would need a warrant?

It is clearly abdanonded as when been windy parts of fence would fall down and stay there and it’s like had some window that was already boarder and the rest all single glazed very grubby looking and because fence is down you can see right through the window so you’d be able to see the actual state inside and it’s like near the road so if you drive past a lot you would see that one light on constantly and basically a squatters dream

Today when all my family was out I looked through my mums bags to find keys. I found keys and I’m guessing it’s for the house so I’ve made a key cut and put her one back and basically I want to go there tomorrow at about 1:30. I’m a bit scared. But I’m not going to tell my family about it at all. As they would say it’s dangerous and they wouldn’t come

My mum is in complete denial and says the counsil probably did it. But I’m like 80% convinced squatters are there
    Omg guess what. I’ve found the keys to old house. I’m going to quickly get it key cut them out it back
    Post edited by JustV on
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Got the keys cut and putting the other one back secretly. But my dads back so I can’t really go back out to try it. I’ll do it tomorrow
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    edited February 20
    I’ve managed to put it back without my dad seeing doing through stuff I shouldn’t(my mums shit) If I do have the right key I’m gunna go in the house tomorrow after work. I finish at 1. So if if don’t hear from me after that I probably got killed by squatters lol

But I’m just thinking wouldn’t they of changed the locks?
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,007 Wise Owl
    @Siena please don’t put yourself at risk
  • Options
    Thank you. But don’t worry if there are squatters I think they could of changed the locks so wouldn’t be able to get in. But if can get in. Doubt there would be anyone there
  • Options
    Matthew_04Matthew_04 Moderator Posts: 74 Budding Regular
    Siena wrote: »
    I’ve managed to put it back without my dad seeing doing through stuff I shouldn’t(my mums shit) If I do have the right key I’m gunna go in the house tomorrow after work. I finish at 1. So if if don’t hear from me after that I probably got killed by squatters lol

Hi @Siena just caught up on this thread and that sounds like quite a scary thing to be going through, especially visiting at night, that couldn't have been easy. <3

If there are definitely people living there at the moment you are right in thinking they could have changed the locks but there is no real way of confirming that unless you try to enter the house. I'm just wondering if that is a safe idea though, you mentioned the house was not in the best condition when you left, would it be structurally sound enough to enter without risk?
    Would you be able to bring a friend with you if you are still thinking about visiting the house tomorrow?
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
    Matthew_04 wrote: »
    Siena wrote: »

Hi @Siena just caught up on this thread and that sounds like quite a scary thing to be going through, especially visiting at night, that couldn't have been easy. <3

If there are definitely people living there at the moment you are right in thinking they could have changed the locks but there is no real way of confirming that unless you try to enter the house. I'm just wondering if that is a safe idea though, you mentioned the house was not in the best condition when you left, would it be structurally sound enough to enter without risk?
    Would you be able to bring a friend with you if you are still thinking about visiting the house tomorrow?
    Adding to what @Matthew_04 said above, @Siena it's always a risk entering a house when you don't know who is there. There's no guarantee they've changed the locks, and if you give someone a spook when you go in, you don't know how they're going to react. You don't know whether they'll be defensive, violent, etc. (which wouldn't be unreasonable if you just walked in).

What's motivating you to try and get in the house?
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    Can this be added to the first part —>

So basically I want to go back to a house I lived in until the age of 16. It’s like 5 mins walk from where I live now.
    Long story short. My mum is a hoarder/ some sort of OCD and extremely controlling so at home it was cluttered and because she was so controlling she wanted to do everything her self and no one touch her stuff so when things broke like leaks and stuff it would never get things and in the end loads of things needed repairing and the house is basically collapsing well was when I left. When I was 16 they out right brought a new house cause my mum inherited that sort of move. Both houses are fully paid for. And for a bit she only came to visit while she still lived at that house. But like 3 years ago she visited and hasn’t left the sofa so for a few years no one in our family has entered that home. One light has always stayed on that whole time and still surviving

But anyway more recently we notice a boarder around the window and door. At first I thought it was the window when I was in the car but I checked the next day and it was the window and door. Now i don’t know if they added it or I just didn’t seee properly but there is two different boards like not one massive one so it’s possible it was done in two different days. There also has a light that’s been switched on that wasn’t before and one window doesn’t have what was originally there. So someone’s 100% been in there and surely if it was the police or counsil they would need a warrant?

It is clearly abdanonded as when been windy parts of fence would fall down and stay there and it’s like had some window that was already boarder and the rest all single glazed very grubby looking and because fence is down you can see right through the window so you’d be able to see the actual state inside and it’s like near the road so if you drive past a lot you would see that one light on constantly and basically a squatters dream

Today when all my family was out I looked through my mums bags to find keys. I found keys and I’m guessing it’s for the house so I’ve made a key cut and put her one back and basically I want to go there tomorrow at about 1:30. I’m a bit scared. But I’m not going to tell my family about it at all. As they would say it’s dangerous and they wouldn’t come

My mum is in complete denial and says the counsil probably did it. But I’m like 80% convinced squatters are there
  • Options
    I mean tbf I don’t really care about my safety. I mean I want to kill myself so if they wanna take that job on they sure can.

I am also just really interested in if someone is living there. I don’t know why maybe that’s weird I just really want to know. I’ve been going at night walking teddy around it to see if different lights are on. I would also just wanna see what it looks like. I mean I obviously remember but i don’t know and I wanna see some of my old stuff and I just think it would be interesting.
    I feel like if I can get into it, id probably go there just to get away from people and sit by myself where no one knows where I am and some kind of freedom feeling but I might find it too triggering

I don’t actually know what I’d say to them lol - the squatters if there is any. I’d probably just be like oh yeah this is my mums house you can stay here if you want but I just wanted to know lmao and don’t go through my stuff
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
    I feel you @Siena - it's a completely understandable thing to want to do. Homes hold a lot of memories and feelings (and property!), and the thought of it being a kind of sanctuary for you makes a lot of sense. I can understand why you want to go back there.

That said, there is genuine danger of entering a house where you think someone else might be living. If you're really determined to go, can you take someone with you?

At least don't go alone - that would be my biggest piece of advice!
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    edited February 21
    Thank yous for advice and stuff but I’m gunna be there in like 15 and I’m gunna try to key. I’m like 100% sure if there are squatters would of changed the lock so yeah don’t worry and if I can get it and do think no one will be in there

I’ll reply back to this thread before 5pm if I don’t I give anyone permission to ring the police and say I went to my old abandoned house and haven’t heard from me
  • Options
    Guys I’m in. But I can’t get properly in because on the massive pile of let’s. But I’m convinced no one is in here
  • Options
    I’ve looked everywhere no one is here.

This is triggering as fuck though.

Now i don’t know if o should tell my sisters I have the key and I got in
  • Options
    edited February 21
    I’ve just left. I rang my sister and video called her and showed her lol as yeah it was triggering and yeah wanted to speak

I also managed to get an album of pictures when we was a baby that I haven’t seen in ages so I’ve kept it
  • Options
    Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Thankyou for keeping us posted @Siena <3

Really glad to hear no one was there, but also can understand how triggering it was to be back in that house.

What have you got planned for this evening? Anything nice to look after yourself?
  • Options
    Thank you guys so I thought I’d update this. I’ve been going a few times sorting it all out and stuff. I found needles. I didn’t think much of it at the time and thought it might of been an 90s injection medication or something cause the amount of very old stuff I’ve found. But when I left the neighbours came up to me saying she remembers me being a kid and that what has happened to this house and what happened to my mum i just said some lies. She also said how drunk teenagers broke in and that’s why the back doors and windows are like that and the police knocked on her door about it saying they found needles in the house too. So I mean it has made me scared going back in there but I will be doing so anyways.

I’m clearing it out first. My sisters know but not my parents. My sisters said they can’t face the house and don’t know how I can. Once I cleared it the plan is to tell my dad and see if he can start paying for some of the damage there. But we are not telling him about it atm because he would mostly hate the part of going through all the shit without our mum knowing because he knows that will freak her out and he only cares about her. But I think once I’ve done it and it’s all cleared then he will think yeah well no going back now and just a matter of sorting out the damage

I also found loads of baby pictures of me I have never seen before in the room that had the needles in and I really hope they didn’t see my face but I’ve taken all the photos I’ve found now and glad to have them and now theyre not there

Tbh it is pretty dangerous me going by myself all the time but oh well
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    The needles you found might be old but they could be recent ones too. Either way, best thing is to avoid touching the needles. Not sure how to get rid of them though. You could report them to the council who will come and collect them. For example- https://www.gov.uk/request-clinical-waste-collection

Since your sisters know you are doing this, would it be possible to bring someone along? I understand your sisters don't want to face the house but since we don't know whether anyone may be using the house and what dangers (such as the needles or even the part of the building possibly collapsing) are in there, it would be best to take someone with you, if you decide to keep going there. Even if they don't go in the house with you, perhaps they could wait outside or in the street perhaps? That way at least you've got someone nearby in case you get into any difficulties.

I think it's admirable that you want to clear the house out, but I'm also wondering whether it may be too much for you? I understand that you don't want to tell your dad about clearing out the house as it would freak your mum out, but I'm also wondering whether it may be worthwhile talking to him about it? Depending on where you are and what's available in your area, there may services that specifically help with clearing out hoarder houses- including biohazard waste (such as needles). This would make things a lot easier, and safer, for you. And I imagine you would still have input into what to keep and what to get rid of.

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    edited March 2
    Thank you. I was there again today trying to fill the recycling bin. Some people was knocking on the door and was scared then they sent a letter through, it wasn’t addressed to me and that is the only letter I have opened I was just curious because I know it wasn’t an old letter and maybe serious. Now i don’t know what to do. I’m kinda planning on telling my dad Wednesday
    Post edited by Gemma on
  • Options
    GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 590 Incredible Poster
    Hey @Siena, I just removed the picture from your post as it showed some details of the company at the bottom and I'm just keen to ensure we're protecting your privacy here incase those details could lead back to you in any way.

It looks like it was a bill for the work carried out by a contractor who came out to secure the house, requested by the police. Is that right?

It sounds like it might be a good idea to let your dad know about the letter as it does sound like it needs to be responded to, and we wouldn't want you to be coping with that stress yourself. How are you feeling about telling your dad? <3
  • Options
    edited March 2
    Yeah so it was just a service who came to board the house and now want £330 for it which is pretty expensive?

I’ve spoke to my older sister and we are planning on telling dad but I’m scared he will tell mum which would just fuck everything up as she would take control again

But he likes a quiet life so I am hoping he will not be telling her and that he will let me carry on trying to sort the mess out and keep what we would want like pictures ect and leave it to me for a bit and then sort the rest out

I’m scared of admitting opening up the letter when wasn’t addressed to me. But they have hundreds of letters there that I haven’t touched I only opened it as they was knocking.

I’m guessing I can’t pay it at bill myself and probably has to be who it was addressed to?

Today I was filling the green bin and fml the amount of very old new papers behind sofas and just crap is fucking rediculse like she never heard of a bin. It’s gross and the amount of maggots and paper of what looks like it’s been shredded by mouse so gross. I don’t know how I haven’t came across a dead mouse yet.

It’s so sad I used to live like that
  • Options
    I can see how sad it would be to see the house that way @Siena after such a long time, especially when you're still coming across old memories and belongings there. It can't be easy to have those feelings resurfaced.

That's positive that you've shared this with your sister and you're planning to tell your dad. Could you let him know your feelings around not sharing this with your mum?

I would say it's likely the bill has to be paid by the person it was addressed to and you shouldn't have to front that cost yourself either. Was it addressed to a member of your family?

Keep us updated <3
  • Options
    Thank you the letter was addressed to both my parents
    But I have just paid for it. I said I am their daughter is that okay and they said yeah. But then I did get scared when they asked for the address of the card but yeah it’s been paid now so now I don’t have to tell my dad yet. I don’t want him to know yet
  • Options
    edited March 31
    This is some things I’ve found at the house that have shocked me the most
    An unopened packet of crisps older than me

olv17fpy8z8j.jpeg
  • Options
    Hey @Siena just dropping in to say I've removed one picture you put up just incase it is triggering to anyone in the community. <3

That must have been so shocking to find such old items in the house, especially crisps!

How are you feeling about things now?
  • Options
    I don’t know I’m confused. She must of been psychotic but still no excuse to treat your child in such a way
  • Options
    edited March 31
    TW - picture depicting hoarding / significant house damage
    cix3obljni3x.jpeg
    Post edited by Gemma on
  • Options
    How did we never get ill with all this mold
  • Options
    edited March 31
    Here is a bit of my progress

TW - pictures depicting hoarding
    1xl5d1d0zcbc.jpeg
    897w9vcp0mmj.jpeg

This is only one part I& didn’t really take any before pictures of other parts probably because don’t want to see it that bad again but I took a picture of this part
    Post edited by Gemma on
  • Options
    It’sa 50p gift card 😭iz18h9j971qh.jpeg
  • Options
    This must be really difficult to see @Siena and I imagine quite an overwhelming experience. I've put a spoiler round your photos just to make it clear what they depict incase others are worried about seeing these kinds of things. <3

It must be so tough to see the house in this way, especially as it was a place you used to call home. Are you getting any help to go through the things in the house?

We're here for you @Siena <3