Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What do you think of TV shows that encourage you to vote?

AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,035 Boards Guru
Hey everyonee,

We're continuing the discussions around gambling here at The Mix HQ and we're interested to know what your thoughts are around TV shows that encourage you to vote to keep your favourite contestant in? Whether it's a paid vote by calling/texting a number, or using an app for free.

I think shows like I'm a Celeb, Strictly Come Dancing, Dancing on Ice, Love Island all encourage you to vote to keep your favourites in.

Do you see it as a form of gambling?, should it always be free?, do you think any changes should be made?

Let us know your thoughts :)
Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤

Comments

• Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,021 Wise Owl
    I see this as a form of spam.. 🤔 😂
    fes0n0g6cijw.jpeg
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,632 Legendary Poster
    Erm how many of these do we need ;)
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,035 Boards Guru
    Oops sorry! I kept getting an error message when posting! All sorted now! =)
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    Aife wrote: »
    Hey everyonee,

We're continuing the discussions around gambling here at The Mix HQ and we're interested to know what your thoughts are around TV shows that encourage you to vote to keep your favourite contestant in? Whether it's a paid vote by calling/texting a number, or using an app for free.

I think shows like I'm a Celeb, Strictly Come Dancing, Dancing on Ice, Love Island all encourage you to vote to keep your favourites in.

Do you see it as a form of gambling?, should it always be free?, do you think any changes should be made?

Let us know your thoughts :)

I think it can be seen as a form of gambling in a way I think because quite often you see shows like I'm a celeb or big brother for example and it says "Vote now" and it kind of entices you in. Some people tend to feel like voting for their favourite people can be free even though there are hidden costs for that text or call so technically they are secrectly taking money off you without your given consent. I also see this in a different way too because most reality tv shows and shows which include voting often create a form of 'popularity' consent between who are their favourites etc. I may be thinking off the road a bit here but I do feel like it puts pressure on people to vote sometimes. I feel like voting costs should be free because if it wasn't for the public votes alongside the main judge's votes, then the show woulden't be what it is. Technically with those shows, its how the audience shape the contest because their votes instantly decide whether someone stays or leaves. I am undecided about seeing this as gambling but I am glad you have brought this up though because this question poses as very interesting.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films