Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

anyone here been directly or indirectly affected by gambling problems/addiction?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
The loot boxes thread got me curious about whether any of you have experienced gambling problems/addiction? If you're too young to gamble yourself, do you have friends or family who gamble?
The truth resists simplicity.

Comments

• Options
    Rose113Rose113 Community Champion Posts: 1,065 Wise Owl
    my aunts daughter had a husband that would gamble and lost all the money and they nearly lost there kids as a result
    ✨ Just a stupid worthless freak ready to give up ✨
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
    oh wow @River, do you mind sharing a bit more about what happened? (keeping it anon ofc!)
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    Rose113Rose113 Community Champion Posts: 1,065 Wise Owl
    @JustV long story short

He lost all the money
    He had a second family
    He got arrested a few times
    He was a selfish twat lol
    ✨ Just a stupid worthless freak ready to give up ✨
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 The Mix Regular
    edited February 2
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by Past User on
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    I don't gamble but have known people who used to, as well as people who struggle with addiction. I imagine that some of the people that have caused massive issues for others in my life had issues around gambling too.

It really is depressing how people struggle with gambling or addiction and cause so much pain to themselves and the people around them. It's a slippery slope that seems really easy to go down.

I play games and only 'gamble' with virtual/pretend money and I can get a buzz from that adrenaline alone. I also understand that people might want to win more when they are on a lucky streak, or worse, try to win the money they lost back. But it never works out that way. I commend anyone who is able to recover from gambling and addiction and lead a better life. It must be really difficult.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.