Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How much do you know about gambling?

AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,035 Boards Guru
edited January 19 in General Chat
We've partnered with Gamcare, an organisation that supports anyone looking for support around gambling. We are hoping to raise awareness of gambling and help people find support either for themselves or to help someone they know.

They shared some really interesting research with us which we've put into a quiz. Let us know your answers in the comments below :)

1. True or False, gambling can also be arcade games and scratch cards.
a. True
b. False

2. Which percentage of 11-17 year olds have spent their own money on gambling in the last 12 months?
a. 7%
b. 43%
c.26%
d.12%

3. True or false. Over half of young people have seen or heard of gambling being advertised on TV.

a. True
b. False

4. What percentage of adults have bought their child a scratch card or similar item?
a. 10%,
b. 19%
c. 12%,
d. 17%

5. In a survey, The National Lottery was found to be the most common form of gambling among students.
a. True
b. False

6. True or False. Betting on shows like Love Island, Eurovision, BigBrother, Dancing on Ice, I’m a Celeb can also be a form of gambling.
a. True
b. False

If you are worried about gambling or someone you know, The Mix and BigDeal are here to help.

BigDeal supports young people all across the UK, who are aged 11-18 years old. They offer 1-2-1 direct support for young people affected by gambling harm, cryptocurrency and gaming.

If you are over 18, you can reach out to Gamecare's helpline (0808 8020 133) and webchat service, both open 24/7 - https://www.gamcare.org.uk/

For support from The Mix, you can reach out to our online community here or access our 1-2-1 support via our helpline, webchat and counselling service. Find out more about the support we have over on our website - https://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/speak-to-our-team

Answers to the quiz in the spoiler below:
1. True or False, gambling can also be arcade games and scratch cards.
a. True
b. False

2. Which percentage of 11-17 year olds have spent their own money on gambling in the last 12 months?
a. 7%
b. 43%
c. 26%
d.12%

3. True or false. Over half of young people have seen or heard of gambling advertising on television.
a. True
b. False

4. What percentage of adults have bought their child a scratch card or similar item?
a. 10%,
b. 19%
c. 12%
d. 17%

5. In a survey, The National Lottery was found to the most common form of gambling among students.
a. True
b. False

6. True or False. Betting on shows like Love Island, Eurovision, BigBrother, Dancing on Ice, I’m a Celeb can also be a form of gambling.
a. True
b. False
Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤

Comments

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,632 Legendary Poster
    This is interesting. I’ve never been much of a gambler, I’ve had a go on the horse races, played the lottery and scratch cards but that’s as far as it goes for me.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,021 Wise Owl
    I’ve never done any sort of gambling and I’m glad to say I don’t know anyone who has (as far as I’m aware lol)
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Really interesting post! I've never been into gambling, but know some people that do it and enjoy it in moderation, and unfortunately have heard a couple of stories where it's been taken too far.

One of the tricky things with gambling problems/addiction is that people are really reluctant to reveal it, due to shame and stigma. So there are concerns around young people having such exposure to it (apps, advertising, betting on matches/events, games that involve gambling elements etc). Good to know that there are organisations like Gamcare that are working on this :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,022 Community Veteran
    I actually did this quiz on The Mix instagram story recently and I was quite surprised to find out that a lot of people including younger generations have been gambling. It can be quite tricky trying to deal with a gambling addiction (I have never gambled but have had family scratchcards at birthdays and Christmas time). I know that there is supposed to be more support for those with gambling or even gaming addictions.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films