Home Neurodivergence
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

managing adhd

yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
Hey everyone :)

I don't know if I actually have ADHD, I haven't bothered getting an actual diagnosis but for at least a few years now my mum and people close to me have idenitfied that I seem to have pretty bad issues with fidgeting and staying focused. I get distracted super easily and for a while it was something I could just ignore but lately I've been really struggling.

I don't want to seek support from school or anyone else because I don't think there's much they could do to help tbh. I also don't want to sound like I'm being dramatic or self diagnosing and I just don't want to cause a fuss so I figured I'd just come here and see if any of u have advice rather than seeking actual support from people in my life.

How do I get through a lesson without doodling and zoning out? I try so hard to do my work and I always end up doing something else. I really just want to be productive but it takes so long. And how do I focus on what someone is telling me when they're talking to me? It's like my mind just wanders off and thinks of a billion other things until the person finishes speaking and I'm like 'fuck i wasn't listening'. And how do i stop fidgeting??? Sometimes it's like i get a bee in my bonnet and I can't stop and the clicky sounds and little shakes of the table or whatever end up annoying other people. I just don't really know what to do and I'm really scared I come across as annoying.
my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain

Comments

• Options
    indievioletindieviolet Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
    Hey Xee,
    Sounds like you're finding not being able to concentrate and fidgeting in lessons quite frustrating.

If fidgeting helps you focus then maybe there's a way you can do it more subtly? I had a fidget ring that you could push metal beads around on. It was quiet and pretty satisfying. Maybe something like that or some other fidget toy would be useful?

I don't know if that's any help or not. But, hopefully you can find something that works for you and helps your concentration :)