Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Worried about being ill CW emetophobia

jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
I get so worried about being ill
particularly being sick
especially in winter when winter bugs are bad I get terrified and convince myself I’m going to be ill. It’s been worse since I stopped taking my meds (which I have started taking again but only a couple of weeks ago). I work night shifts by myself and I’ve stopped working them for the past month cause I’ve been to anxious convincing myself that I’ll be ill in the middle of the night and cause I’m by myself no one will be able to cover and I’ll have to stay at work whilst be really ill. I’ve got my first night shift back tomorrow night but I’m so anxious worrying that I’ll be ill and won’t be able to do it. Symptoms of anxiety are similar so the more anxious I get the worse the symptoms are the more anxious I get and so on in a viscous circle. Just wondering if anyone has any advice cause I can’t stop working night shifts forever, but at the minute the thought of having to do it tomorrow is too much
The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.

Comments

• Options
    Rose113Rose113 Community Champion Posts: 1,090 Wise Owl
    Hey @jess63 thank you for opening up to us. It's understandable that your scared of getting ill <3 is there anyway for you to ask if someone else can be on shift with you just for tomorrow and then like the next time could they do half the shift time and then tye time after that, you may feel comfy being on shift alone <3
    ✨ Just a stupid worthless freak ready to give up ✨
  • Options
    Thanks @River my boss knows I’m nervous about it so she asked my friend if she’ll do it with me, but she can’t so I’ll have to do it by myself
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,021 Wise Owl
    @jess63 its good to hear that your boss is understanding. I’m not sure what your job is and I suppose it depends on that, but from the sound of it, I doubt you’d have to stay at work while being ill?
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @jess63

Sending hugs. Sorry to hear how you are feeling.

Do you have any support in place for how you are feeling? It’s positive you’ve gone back onto your medication.

:heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    @jess63 I'm sorry to hear that you have been feeling this way lately. I agree with what @River said about asking to have someone with you on shift so you are'nt on your own. I know that you mentioned that your boss is aware of the situation at the moment. I wonder if there is anything you find helpful during moments of anxiety or even when you are feeling nervous?. If you need to you could always ask for time off if you feel ill at the moment. Im sure that they would be understanding of your situation at the moment. Hoping you are okay. I am always here if you need someone to talk to,

Sending hugs,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Hi @jess63 would it help on come on here during your shift when you have time. Idk what time ur shift is but if it helps I'm usually around till 5 am so if you need anything I'll be here. Also my pms are open if you need to vent or anything even if it's to talk about something random. Here for you <3

How are you feeling now about it all? <3 hugs and air hugs whatever feels comfiest <3
  • Options
    Thank so much everyone. I’ve spoken to my boss this morning and she said she always has her phone on just in case she needs to come in in the night which makes me feel a bit better. I think I’ll just listen to my audiobook or some music something to distract me and just hope that works and I’ll come on here if I need to.
  • Options
    anna0012anna0012 Moderator, Staff Posts: 17 Settling in
    Hi @jess63 , you've done really well to share your feelings with your boss. It is reassuring that she's there for you, if you need her, and that you reach out to our Community for support. Your feelings are valid, and you are doing well opening up and looking for support. Sounds like you also have some tools that work for you - your audiobook and music. It's good to hear that you have those to help you too. You are managing so well. We are here for you. <3
  • Options
    Hey @jess63 how did the shift go? <3
  • Options
    Hi @River it was okay, not too busy and gave me time to work on some other pieces of work I have to do which was good. I still felt anxious but I was happy that I managed to do it. My next one is New Year’s Eve, it’s two hours longer of a shift but I’m hoping it will also go okay
  • Options
    @jess63 im glad it went okay <3 we will be here before and after and during for you <3