Home Gender & Sexuality
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I am lesbian

Hi,

I have known since I was eleven that I was lesbian. I always had crushes on girls. It took me a while to come to terms with it but now I am so happy. I have gone to university and am open to my friends that I am lesbian. It feels so freeing! I can’t wait to one day have a girlfriend, it makes me so excited for the future.

I have emailed a few places that I have been given by the mix, asking what they do in their services and if there are any 18-25 LGBTQ groups that I can go to. I am just wondering if anyone else is in the same position? Perhaps a lesbian who has joined social groups like these. Was it scary at first? I would love to hear your stories.

Thank you! :)

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @mistyinthesky! A warm welcome to The Mix's community.

It sounds really positive that you feel so freeing. How is your journey with trying to find 18-25 LGBTQ groups going at the moment? Hoping more people can share their experiences with you :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,011 Community Veteran
    Hiya @mistyinthesky that's awesome!. Im very proud and happy for you that you are feel to comfortable with your sexuality at the moment. I hope you have a great future <3. I don't know of many LGBT forums or support groups but at The Mix we are more than happy to help and accomodate to all. <3

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    slugchannelslugchannel Posts: 13 Settling in
    Its wonderful that youve come to terms with it . It can be weird and conflicting, but once you feel comfortable with your own feelings, whether they fluctuate or not, 'freeing' is exactly the word that comes to mind . This is true regardless of sexuality but for queer people, it's extra special just being able to love, as openly as you can . You should be excited for the future ! There's nothing better than letting expectations go, knowing that this time in a couple of years you could be with a girl that makes you very happy - and letting it happen in its time .

Me personally, The only LGBT+ social group I ever joined was the society at my college . It was ran by a friend . They did a wonderful job, but what you get out of it is also down to putting yourself out there, which I struggled with a bit at the end of college . Im currently at university and am planning to hold a LGBT+ and drag event on campus next spring, hopefully I will meet other queer people !
  • Options
    mistyintheskymistyinthesky Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hi! Yes it’s actually gone pretty well. I emailed the mix and they gave me so much help! I ended up emailing a local group that I managed to find as I am at university in the new town I’m in. It’s lovely to be able to join this community! :)
    Hi @mistyinthesky! A warm welcome to The Mix's community.

It sounds really positive that you feel so freeing. How is your journey with trying to find 18-25 LGBTQ groups going at the moment? Hoping more people can share their experiences with you :)

• Options
    mistyintheskymistyinthesky Posts: 3 Newbie
    Its wonderful that youve come to terms with it . It can be weird and conflicting, but once you feel comfortable with your own feelings, whether they fluctuate or not, 'freeing' is exactly the word that comes to mind . This is true regardless of sexuality but for queer people, it's extra special just being able to love, as openly as you can . You should be excited for the future ! There's nothing better than letting expectations go, knowing that this time in a couple of years you could be with a girl that makes you very happy - and letting it happen in its time .

Me personally, The only LGBT+ social group I ever joined was the society at my college . It was ran by a friend . They did a wonderful job, but what you get out of it is also down to putting yourself out there, which I struggled with a bit at the end of college . Im currently at university and am planning to hold a LGBT+ and drag event on campus next spring, hopefully I will meet other queer people !

Thank you for your response! Currently at university too and I am hoping to find an lgbt group there. I’m not into drag but I hope you have lots of fun! You are so right, I am so happy to suddenly be able to just be happy with who I love! It feels so awesome. I’m lucky in that all of my friends are so supportive of me as a lot of them are part of the LGBTQ+ community too. Can’t wait to have a relationship one day and be proud of it! :)
  • Options
    cocobeancocobean Moderator, Staff Posts: 35 Boards Initiate
    Hey @mistyinthesky

It's wonderful that you feel comfortable and happy with your sexuality, especially at university. Sharing your experience with friends can be empowering. Hopefully, you can find some LGBTQ groups to join more connections! Keep us posted on how things go!
  • Options
    Issie_11Issie_11 Moderator Posts: 11 Settling in
    edited December 2023
    Hey @mistyinthesky :) Just wanted to say that we are so proud of you! This is a really big step and it's so wonderful that you feel ready to reach out to LGBTQ+ groups!

Perhaps you could have a look to see if there are any local groups where you live? It could be a really lovely way to feel connected to the local queer community and give you the opportunity to meet LGBTQ+ with all kinds of different experiences and backgrounds.

Let us know how it goes? <3