Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Celebrity encounters 🌟

GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 612 Incredible Poster
Hey everyone,

So I have managed to get myself tickets to essentially a signing and meet & greet with Ed Sheeran...eek ✨ I've followed his music career since 2011 and this will be the first time I'm meeting him. Sooo

1) any tips on what to say / ask / do so I'm not awkward? 🤣

And 2) It got me wondering if any of you have any celebrity encounter stories? Good or bad... 🤔

Comments

• Options
    Katie12Katie12 Posts: 243 Trailblazer
    @Gemma That's so exciting! I agree you've just got to be yourself, i'm sure it'll be really great!
    I can't think of anyone famous that i have met....a few ex footballers i think :lol:
    Have you met any other famous people before in the past?
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    I don't know if this counts as a celebrity encounter of sorts but when I was in my first year of sixth form, I went on a trip to London to see the Woman in Black and to see the National Theatre. When we were stuck in traffic I swear I saw Florence from Florence and The Machine getting out a taxi.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,064 Wise Owl
    These are such cool stories. I genuinely don't think I've had a celebrity encounter. If I have then I've completely forgotten about it =)
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    (Thank you @Katie12 for reminding me!) Not really a popular 'celebrity' but I've met a footballer who played in the premier league for the city I live in. He was Polish and one day ordered a cake from my mum (my mum does catering and bakes custom homemade cakes for sale) so we got to deliver it to his home and meet him which was really cool! And we got some vip tickets from him for a match, it was an awesome experience but a horrible match lol. I totally forgot about this, it was years ago.

Best of luck @Gemma! Ed is real lucky to finally meet his #1 fan! ;)
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    @Morgyn007 @Katie12 @Amy22 @sinead276 @JJLemon18 thank you so much for your responses and lovely advice!! <3

Meeting Sarah Storey is so cool Morgyn, I've met Chris Hoy a couple of times and quite a few of the Scottish athletes who competed in the London 2012 Olympics as I went to their medal parade :)

That definitely counts Amy - you do tend to catch glimpses of random celebrities in London!

JJ, that is such a cool story and so kind of him that he gave you some VIP tickets!! How come there is a theme here of meeting footballers/ex-footballers!? I support Liverpool so would love to meet the team B)

@Katie12 - I've met Lewis Capaldi before (actually in the crowd of an Ed Sheeran gig lol) and I got his signature - he is such a lovely guy :). And I saw the actors Daniel Mays & Jake Wood out and about!
  • Options
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    (Thank you @Katie12 for reminding me!) Not really a popular 'celebrity' but I've met a footballer who played in the premier league for the city I live in. He was Polish and one day ordered a cake from my mum (my mum does catering and bakes custom homemade cakes for sale) so we got to deliver it to his home and meet him which was really cool! And we got some vip tickets from him for a match, it was an awesome experience but a horrible match lol. I totally forgot about this, it was years ago.

Best of luck @Gemma! Ed is real lucky to finally meet his #1 fan! ;)

That's such a cool story! shame about the match but sounds like a really exciting experience
  • Options
    @Gemma YOU HAVE MET LEWIS CAPALDI?!!! I love that guy lol i am so jealous! got to see him live last year and he was amazing
  • Options
    @Katie12 Yea the match ended 0-0 and was so so boring lol. I think its the only sports match I've ever been to as well :/ But there was a bar where they gave you free cake slices and desserts, and you'd get people who stood there just to open doors for you it was really cool! I felt very important haha
  • Options
    @JJLemon18 aww no that's a shame that for your only sporting match experience it was a boring game! Hopefully you get the opportunity to go to another one some day. The rest of it sounds amazing though!

• Options
    I know there was a media festival held in Wales which held the aniversary of a media company I did work experience. It was an awards night thing I think last year or the year before can't remember but I didn't go. My friends went there and met quite a few people who were on the TV incluidng the TV the Tuckers which is on BBC One. I wished I went now lol as I loved the Tuckers.
  • Options
    Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    Ooooo that's so exciting!

You could ask him him about his day lol

I bumped into Jacqueline Wilson in a hospital toilet one time. It was a surreal experience. I was smiling like an idiot trying to stay calm. I saw her in the canteen earlier but I wasn't sure it was her so I didn't want to embarrass myself. So you could imagine my surprise when I saw her again in the toilets. We had a little chit chat and I wished her well.
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    @Salix_alba_2019 I used to love Jacqueline Wilson books! My sister also met her - in the toilets of a shopping centre apparently! I've not met any celebrities yet but it must be interesting when it happens
  • Options
    @lunarcat522 I love the Jacqueline Wilson books I got a load of them in my room which I am keeping forever.

@Salix_alba_2019 That must have been funny and awesome all at the same time. I would have loved to have met Jacqueline Wilson eventhough I don't think she is coming to Wales any time soon xd. I'd loved to meet all of my favourite authors and writers.
  • Options
    Ngl I'm kinda curious how many 'celebrities' I have come across in my life that I had no idea about...

This is so true - I imagine especially in London you could walk past lots of 'celebrities' and not recognise them! :D

Are there any celebrities that people would love to meet?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Gemma wrote: »
    I'd love to meet The Mix team! =) jk haha I don't think there's any 'celebrity' I would love to meet specifically. I do have a couple of small music artists that I'd love to meet tho (those who's music has been keeping me sane haha)
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,039 Boards Guru
    Loving this thread!

I met Mcfly once in TGI Friday's just as they had released their first song 5 colours in her hair! My sister spotted them sitting at a table and came back to get me and my others sisters so we all went over to take a picture! My sister ended up going to a signing a few years later with the photo and got them to sign it! :p
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    @Gemma I think I'd like to meet Harry Styles! I keep seeing TikToks of people seeing him walking around London or on the London bikes and I'm very jealous aha!
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    @Katie12 me too!
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    Gemma wrote: »
    Ngl I'm kinda curious how many 'celebrities' I have come across in my life that I had no idea about...

This is so true - I imagine especially in London you could walk past lots of 'celebrities' and not recognise them! :D

@Gemma

I would love to meet Alice Oseman one day! I can't think of anyone else - maybe some of the Grey's Anatomy cast but they're all in America
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 839 Part of The Mix Family
    These stories are so cool! I saw jacqueline wilson at a book event but i didnt actually meet her as such. Im not sure if anyone knows the youtuber colleen ballinger/miranda sings but I met her at a meet and greet at her show a few years ago and she was so lovely!I think Id like to meet a load of different authors like holly jackson,anna james etc.I know theirs the big YA book event in lodnon so mabye one day ill get going
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @Gemma that's sounds awesome!! And that picture sounds so fun too! =) Of course you bought two tickets to see him twice haha xD
    So did you get invited the the party thingy in the end??
  • Options
    @Gemma That sounds like an amazing day!!!
  • Options
    @Gemma that sounds amazing (I keep clicking on the wrong emoji's or post thingy when I send hugs lol) I really want to meet the cast of Dr Who one day as it is my dream to meet David Tennant.
  • Options
    LydsRose9LydsRose9 Posts: 106 The Mix Convert
    Wow @Gemma - that’s so cool!

It must be pretty great for him to meet such dedicated fans! It’s amazing that you got a picture, something to remember the day by <3
    Keep fighting the good fight!