Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Something important or close to you

mk1881mk1881 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
This thread is meant to be a space to share something important or close to you. You don't have to explain but you can if you'd like.

Personally, music. It's so simple but can provide so much safety and understanding.
"But our lives will only ever always Continue to be A balancing act That has less to do with pain And more to do with beauty." -Shane Koyczan

Comments

• Options
    @Amy22, I'm so happy that you have a healthy and good relationship with your mum!! <3
    "But our lives will only ever always Continue to be A balancing act That has less to do with pain And more to do with beauty." -Shane Koyczan
  • Options
    @indieviolet, what's your favorite book?
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Oooo I love this idea.

Gotta also agree on music being important - it's always helped me when i've gone through tough times
  • Options
    I love how versatile music is. There's always a style for everyone :3
  • Options
    indievioletindieviolet Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
    mk1881 wrote: »
    @indieviolet, what's your favorite book?

That's a really difficult question but if I had to pick it would be Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. It's got a beautiful fantasy world to escape to and characters that feel like friends to me. The Ghibli animation of it is really good as well, very visually pretty
  • Options
    @indieviolet OH MY GOSH SHUT UP!! I love Howl's Moving Castle!! I want to be Sophie so baddd. Oh and Calcifier! Have you seen any other Studio Ghibli films or read their books?
  • Options
    @Xee if you find out what the book is called let me know, sounds super interesting. I've thought about that too. I like that even if I was deaf I would still be able to feel the vibrations of music. The pretty sounds are wild man
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    Aw what a cute thread idea also Studio Ghibli for the win!
    Its hard to think of one thing but i think at the moment something thats important to me is podcasts.Im really in my podcast era at the minute lol
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    MatchaMiaMatchaMia Posts: 60 Boards Initiate
    @ebyrne556 I'm with you on that- Podcasts have really helped me to organise my thoughts, reflect from a distance and understand myself a bit more. Some are also really funny or interesting.

Reading and music are always comforting for me and they embodied a safe place when things were rough. I also recently re-discovered a liking to art- when I felt triggered I just found myself with a sketchpad and used drawing as a way to express the emotions I couldn't verbalise in my journal. I keep all of these things close to me!
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    I absolutely agree with music! Sometimes music I like is enough to calm my brain down after something stressful or take my mind off of overwhelming thoughts. I feel like without music life would be so miserable. Movies and videogames would feel so dull and boring, concerts wouldn't exist and parties won't be parties anymore.
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    @JJLemon18, you are so freaking right. I can't imagine a world where concerts didn't exist. Don't even get me started on parties without music. That's like peanut butter and jelly without the peanut butter. Who wants that?
  • Options
    @mk1881 Err... I would totally eat peanut butter without jelly and vice versa... am I weird??
  • Options
    @JJLemon18, not weird persay.. I just don't like jelly on its own. Peanut butter on the other hand, I could eat gallons of. As a going away present I was once gifted a pound of peanut butter lol
  • Options
    @Xee, Oh nooooo :s
    What's your favorite snacky item then?
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,998 Community Veteran
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    I absolutely agree with music! Sometimes music I like is enough to calm my brain down after something stressful or take my mind off of overwhelming thoughts. I feel like without music life would be so miserable. Movies and videogames would feel so dull and boring, concerts wouldn't exist and parties won't be parties anymore.

Omg life without music for me would be very hard, I absolutely love music so much including my free spotify eventhough I want premium lol but its so much xd so I use my web browser instead. I think music can be so helpful when it comes to taking your mind off things as well. I often that a lyric of a song can be helpful as well too :)
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    ebyrne556 wrote: »
    Aw what a cute thread idea also Studio Ghibli for the win!
    Its hard to think of one thing but i think at the moment something thats important to me is podcasts.Im really in my podcast era at the minute lol

I love a good podcast even though I keep forgetting to listen to the ones I am on. I really love the Welcome to Night Vale podcast and The Rogues Podcast (eventhough The Rogues podcast does contain adult themes and adult humour including some dark moments too so I'd say tread with caution with that podcast <3). But nightvale is very good as it's very surreal and talks a lot about existence plus extra randomness thrown into the mix too xd
  • Options
    Amy22 wrote: »

Omg life without music for me would be very hard, I absolutely love music so much including my free spotify eventhough I want premium lol but its so much xd so I use my web browser instead. I think music can be so helpful when it comes to taking your mind off things as well. I often that a lyric of a song can be helpful as well too :)

@Amy22 Spotify have a quite cheaper plan if you're a student, not sure if it could apply for you though, just wanted to mention
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    @mk1881 JAFFA CAKES
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    Amy22 wrote: »

@Amy22 Spotify have a quite cheaper plan if you're a student, not sure if it could apply for you though, just wanted to mention

Aw thank you so much that might be handy for me as I keep getting adverts now and then which is why I only use the browser version as on my phone I only have shuffle lol
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    Definitely agree with the music - whether it's a mood you want to create, or you're already feeling a certain way, there's always a song that fits the situation. And playing instruments helps to feel even more engaged in the moment, it's a magical feeling :)

Also a fan of Ghibli films - I think the one I saw most recently was Whisper of the Heart, which was a good watch!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    marcellus_beauregardmarcellus_beauregard Posts: 77 Budding Regular
    Music and my dreams. I find it so interesting that most of us can agree to music being something important to us. After all, music is universal and evokes an otherworldly experience.
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    @marcellus_beauregard what music do u like
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    marcellus_beauregardmarcellus_beauregard Posts: 77 Budding Regular
    @Xee I like all sorts of genres because what matters for me is the overall bigger picture usually that consists of the essence, meaning, experience, effectiveness. But if I have to boil it down to what I commonly listen to I would say classical/orchestra and OSTs/soundtracks.
  • Options
    MatchaMiaMatchaMia Posts: 60 Boards Initiate
    @Xee you might hate peanut butter but I'm very allergic to it so its a no from me hahahah

Does everyone have a playlist for different moods / vibes rather than genre or is that just me?
  • Options
    MatchaMia wrote: »
    Does everyone have a playlist for different moods / vibes rather than genre or is that just me?
    Ngl I've started to make a playlist for every mood but I have so many songs to go through that I kinda gave up haha. Maybe I'll finish it some day.