Home Gender & Sexuality
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are you attending any Pride events this year?

AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
edited June 2023 in Gender & Sexuality
Hey all!

As some of you will know, it's currently Pride Month! There's lots of Pride Events going on both this month and later months. Are you planning to attend any of the events this year? If you've been to Pride events before, what's your experience of them? Would love to hear your thoughts!
FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Comments

• Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    YES I THINK I'M GOING TO A PRIDE FESTIVAL FOR THE FIRST TIME AND I'M SO INSANELY EXCITED, IT'S GONNA BE GREAT
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,011 Community Veteran
    @Xee that's awesome I hope you have a fantastic time, pride is amazing to go to. My local area has just decided to do its first pride this year and I will be attending. Its on the 24th so I can't wait as it will be my first time going to a pride event as a pride ally.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    @Amy22 i hope u have a fantastic time toooo :)
  • Options
    Xee wrote: »
    @Amy22 i hope u have a fantastic time toooo :)

Im hoping I can go as its means I don't have to travel into my local city to go to pride as I know one in the city near me is massive and I struggle with big crowds so having it more local is nicer too and it's great that my community is fully accepting it this year too :):love:
  • Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    @Azziman I've attended the pride events in my country before, and it's cool to see many people joining together!
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    @Xee and @Amy22 That's awesome to hear! Pride events have a great atmosphere so I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Let us know how you find it :)

• Options
    @Azziman I don't think I'll be able to go :( My friend is going though ahh I'm so jealous. I could go with her but she's going with some of the most terrifying people I've ever met so I'd rather not :/
  • Options
    libbystrawberrylibbystrawberry Community Champion Posts: 586 Incredible Poster
    Amy22 wrote: »
    @Xee that's awesome I hope you have a fantastic time, pride is amazing to go to. My local area has just decided to do its first pride this year and I will be attending. Its on the 24th so I can't wait as it will be my first time going to a pride event as a pride ally.

only 4 days to go amy
  • Options
    omg @Amy22 libby is righttt u better tell us all about it and send pics if u take any good ones!!
  • Options

only 4 days to go amy

Ikr I'm sooo excited for it. I really wanna wear some makeup for the event and I know there might be some craft stalls too and I'm hoping if I can I want to get a progress pride flag ally pin badge. I already got a gay pride badge but I also want to get the ally one as someone who supports the gay community <3. I will have to take pictures and upload them here :)
  • Options
    the pride event is nearly here eeeek cant wait to celebrate some wholesome pride tomorrow.
  • Options
    I finally got some pics to upload from pride!!!

olhsv88z0ngj.jpg
    t4gbbg5h5wwb.jpg
    sq914e8c4onb.jpg
    q4xy9f0kelc5.jpg
    b7b1a7b37foz.jpg
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Great question <3 Super happy to see so many people feeling able to be themselves in a safer environment than they might have at home/around people in their lives! Huge well done to everyone on here, honestly xx
  • Options
    Omg @Amy22 that looks great!!

I'm going to pride on saturday witj my friends and her other scary friends who i didn't previosuly want to go with but i ended up getting tipsy w most of them and cuddling them yesterday lmao so i'm not worried abt them now. I hope I have a good time :)
  • Options
    BensonEBensonE Posts: 97 Budding Regular
    I actually kinda wanna go to autistic pride in London since I hear its a big thing for austism awareness and pride at exact same time so will be mega cool to see
  • Options
    Omg @Amy22 that looks great!!

I'm going to pride on saturday witj my friends and her other scary friends who i didn't previosuly want to go with but i ended up getting tipsy w most of them and cuddling them yesterday lmao so i'm not worried abt them now. I hope I have a good time :)

That sounds awesome, I hope you have a great time going to pride :). I got to say its amazing.
  • Options
    BensonE wrote: »
    I actually kinda wanna go to autistic pride in London since I hear its a big thing for austism awareness and pride at exact same time so will be mega cool to see

I have heard of autistic pride and it sounds very cool too. I like how it is both celebrating neurodiversity alongside pride as there are neurodiverse people in the lgbt community as well. I wish my area had something like this too. Well there is a local hub I go to which supports autistic adults and they do a variety of activites there now and then.
  • Options
    BensonE wrote: »

I have heard of autistic pride and it sounds very cool too. I like how it is both celebrating neurodiversity alongside pride as there are neurodiverse people in the lgbt community as well. I wish my area had something like this too. Well there is a local hub I go to which supports autistic adults and they do a variety of activites there now and then.

I'm will have to travel to attend its like just under an hour and half by train

I learnt recently that autistic people are more likely to be LGBTQ+ compared to non autistics approximately eight times more likely

I also learnt that autistic people are less likely to have a STI (although the evidence I found does do a U turn on that statement)
  • Options
    That sounds really fun and I hope you enjoy the event too <3. I have heard about that statistic of autistic people being more likely to identify as LGBTQ+ moreover a lot identify as agender or non-binary even some who identify as ace or aro-ace too which I find very interesting. I think there was quite a few neurodiverse people at the pride event I recently attended, me being one hehe. The STI fact sounds also insightful too and that is something new I have learnt.
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,061 Wise Owl
    Didn't attend a pride event myself but hope that anyone who did had/has an amazing time and remember you are loved whoever you are <3
  • Options
    I went to pride for the first time and it was absolutely amazing :) Apparently I dress really 'straight' usually so it was really nice to express myself for once and not feel like people were judging me (I live in a rlly homophobic area so I usually just try to fit in and not draw attention to myself). I saw rita ora perform and idina menzel was there too and she performed let it go!!
  • Options
    I went to pride for the first time and it was absolutely amazing :) Apparently I dress really 'straight' usually so it was really nice to express myself for once and not feel like people were judging me (I live in a rlly homophobic area so I usually just try to fit in and not draw attention to myself). I saw rita ora perform and idina menzel was there too and she performed let it go!!

OMG that's amazing that you got to see Rita Ora and Idina Menzel I bet that was such an amazing experience. Pride is such a great event as everyone was happy even though we did have one protester in my area who actually left in the end. I like how pride was so inclusive and for me I felt very involved in it too
  • Options
    Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    What an awesome thread! Love the pics!!

I went to London pride this year, it was insane how many people there were, and I had goosebumps the whole day, being surrounded by people in my community being their true selves!
  • Options
    @Emma_ I went to london pride too it was absolutely insaneeee how many people there were like yeah london is usually busy but woah that was like next level...I just felt sorry for the random tourists I saw who looked super confused and lost xD
  • Options
    indievioletindieviolet Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
    @Amy22 woah that looks really fun! I've never been to Pride but I'd love to go one day, it seems like such a positive atmosphere <3 I'd need to find some friends to go with though cause crowds make me kinda nervous
  • Options
    @Amy22 woah that looks really fun! I've never been to Pride but I'd love to go one day, it seems like such a positive atmosphere <3 I'd need to find some friends to go with though cause crowds make me kinda nervous

Pride is such a brilliant event and I think it should be all day personally because of how amazing it was. Yeah it can be a bit busy too which I did find as there are lots of crowds and people. I went with my mum so it kind of helped with that side of the event. Going to pride with friends is always fun too. I'm hoping to do that next year and go with some friends of mine.
  • Options
    libbystrawberrylibbystrawberry Community Champion Posts: 586 Incredible Poster
    @Amy22 thats so exciting!! tho u have to wait a year :'(
  • Options
    louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    I shall ,hopefully 🤞🤞, be going to my local pride in Essex which is in august 🥰🥰
  • Options
    louisa982 wrote: »
    I shall ,hopefully 🤞🤞, be going to my local pride in Essex which is in august 🥰🥰

Love it I'm in essex
  • Options
    @Amy22 thats so exciting!! tho u have to wait a year :'(

Ikr I went this year and loved it so much but I'm not sure if my local area will actually do it again cause our council in my area can be slightly fishy with things sometimes. The other plan is to go the city and go to the big one eventhough big events can be too much for me :Lol: cause of crowds and stuff.