Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Happy Mental Health Awareness Week! #MHAW

GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
edited May 2023 in Health & Wellbeing
Happy Mental Health Awareness Week everyone! #MHAW
uksy2fzrxntc.jpeg

How are you all doing today? <3

This week is Mental Health Awareness Week and the Mental Health Foundation's theme for this year is anxiety.

The Mental Health Foundation started Mental Health Awareness Week in 2001 and it now happens every year, being the biggest opportunity for the whole of the UK to come together to focus on getting good mental health. The week aims to tackle stigma and help people understand and prioritise their and others' mental health.

Most of us feel anxious at times, particularly when we are coping with worries or stressful life events. However, some of us may feel persistent, distressing levels of anxiety that cause us to avoid situations and prevent us from doing things we enjoy.

Anxiety feels different for everyone and everyone’s experiences are different and so it is difficult to know exactly what causes anxiety problems. Lots of things can lead to feelings of anxiety, including exam pressures, relationships, starting a new job (or losing one) or other big life changes or events. We can also get anxious when it comes to things to do with money and not being able to meet our basic needs, like heating our home or buying food. But anxiety can be made easier to manage.

Focusing on anxiety for this year's Mental Health Awareness Week hopes to increase people's awareness and understanding of anxiety by providing information on the things that can help prevent it from becoming a problem. Dealing with anxiety can be hard. But there are some things we can do to manage these tough feelings.

What helps you to cope with feelings of anxiety?

When I'm anxious, I find music really helps me and I tend to listen to my favourite album on vinyl to transport me into another universe.

If you're struggling at the moment with anxiety, why not have a look at the Mental Health Foundation's tips. We're always here too to have a chat <3

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,033 Community Veteran
    This thread is so helpful and amazing. Happy mental health awareness week everyone!.

I'd say for me when I get anxious I think either knitting, crocheting or coming on here to vent helps me to feel less anxious about things. I find that talking tends to help me with my worries.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,133 Part of The Furniture
    It sounds really positive that there are many things which help you when you are feeling anxious @Amy22 - like knitting, crocheting and coming on here to vent/talking. How is everyone else doing at the moment? <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.