Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Laughing through text

JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
Hey beautiful people. I had this really weird thought recently and would like to share it here. It might be fun.

There are multiple ways in which people convey a laugh through text and I will explain what I feel like some of them mean and you guys can tell me if you agree.

First we have the lol response which I find to be a little sarcastic. I'm pretty sure lol means "laughing out loud" but people tend to say it when they're not actually laughing out loud. It's kinda like saying "oh that was funny but I'm not laughing". I know this is not always the case, for example here on The Mix we have the lol response which I don't really find sarcastic at all. Just something I'd like to point out.

Next we have the hahaha response where I see this as a more genuine laugh, like actually laughing out loud. I'm still not sure what the different numbers of ha mean but I feel like "haha" sounds a little nervous while the more has you put the more funny the thing that you're responding to is, it basically made you laugh more.

Then there are emojis like xD. These seem to me to just be the person laughing, nothing more or less but that also depends on the emoji you use. This one I feel like it can sometimes sound like you're making fun of someone else, like you're laughing at them.

When I write I dont really think about what reaction I do but this is something that has definitely crossed my head recently and I dont know if I thought about this subconsciously before.

What do you guys think? Do you agree, disagree, am I over-complicating it? Or am I just weird haha
Believe in me - who believes in you

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    Hey beautiful people. I had this really weird thought recently and would like to share it here. It might be fun.

There are multiple ways in which people convey a laugh through text and I will explain what I feel like some of them mean and you guys can tell me if you agree.

First we have the lol response which I find to be a little sarcastic. I'm pretty sure lol means "laughing out loud" but people tend to say it when they're not actually laughing out loud. It's kinda like saying "oh that was funny but I'm not laughing". I know this is not always the case, for example here on The Mix we have the lol response which I don't really find sarcastic at all. Just something I'd like to point out.

Next we have the hahaha response where I see this as a more genuine laugh, like actually laughing out loud. I'm still not sure what the different numbers of ha mean but I feel like "haha" sounds a little nervous while the more has you put the more funny the thing that you're responding to is, it basically made you laugh more.

Then there are emojis like xD. These seem to me to just be the person laughing, nothing more or less but that also depends on the emoji you use. This one I feel like it can sometimes sound like you're making fun of someone else, like you're laughing at them.

When I write I dont really think about what reaction I do but this is something that has definitely crossed my head recently and I dont know if I thought about this subconsciously before.

What do you guys think? Do you agree, disagree, am I over-complicating it? Or am I just weird haha

Hiya @JJLemon18 I find your thoughts on laughing through text to be very interesting. I often find that particular expressions for laughter through text can convey many things specifically when you mentioned when people write lol. I guess that could also imply that someone is sarcastic especially as with text we don't psychically see the person on the recieving end (compared to video call or face time). In particular I tend to use XD a lot as I feel it represents laughter a bit more. I guess also because of throughout my teen years, a lot of people would use XD a lot in their messages.

I find this thread very interesting because I like being able to analyse things in detail especially anything to with body language or expression. :)
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Amy22 I'm glad you find this thread interesting. I honestly tend to analyse everything in detail, but I'm not the best at it haha
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    Hey @Amy22 I'm glad you find this thread interesting. I honestly tend to analyse everything in detail, but I'm not the best at it haha

No worries I think it is great to analyse things as it is very interesting to be able to question things and why we do things too. :)
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films