Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Andrew Tate arrested

FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,307 Wise Owl
edited February 2023 in General Chat
I asked a mod on the group chat if its OK to post about Andrew Tate as he's controversial, the mod said its ok so I hope it is. I hope people don't see me as a bad person because I like Andrew Tate.

Hes been arrested, and I think its just been extended for another 30 days. I think he's innocent, there's been women coming forward who know Andrew saying how nice he is to women. He also has a niece which is his brother Tristan tates daughter. He has said things online which isnt good. I like the guys, he said stuff about hard work and stuff that I agree with. I obviously don't agree with what he is being accused of or his bad views. Anyway what do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,828 Master Poster
    edited February 2023
    To be honest I really don't know what to think about the situation but it seems as though he has developed a bad reputation. He wouldn't be arrested unless there was a really good reason.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    edited February 2023
    Hopefully the investigation into the allegations will be thorough and justice will be served. It's hard to have an opinion without knowing the full facts of the case.

A couple of things I would say though is that there have been countless examples of people who thought they knew someone well, and would say they could never do something horrible, only for it to turn out that they were an absolute monster, so I wouldn't put much faith in a few people saying he was really nice to them personally. Humans are complex, and are capable of being both kind and incredibly cruel. Just because some people may have experienced the kind side doesn't discredit someone else's experience of cruelty.

Sometimes, people will try to disguise problematic views by saying lots of other more general things that are easy to agree with. For example, there is absolutely nothing wrong with working hard, and wanting to provide for family, but this isn't something that clashes with a world in which women have equal opportunities and rights.
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• Options
    IainJammyboyIainJammyboy Posts: 946 Part of The Mix Family
    @Ed_ really do agree with all of that - I thought I would add aswell that just because Andrew Tate can make good points, it doesn't mean you can wipe the slate clean which I've seen many people do. You could say that with many controversial figures actually, alive or dead
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    edited May 2023
    @Ed_ really do agree with all of that - I thought I would add aswell that just because Andrew Tate can make good points, it doesn't mean you can wipe the slate clean which I've seen many people do. You could say that with many controversial figures actually, alive or dead
    Building on @IainJammyboy's comment, I think it's also worth looking at the overall impact someone has on the world. There are certain people who have enormous social power, and whether or not they have some good or correct things to say, we can look at their overall impact on society to judge whether they're a force for good or a force for bad.

Some of the things Andrew Tate says might not be bad - or at least not be damaging - but that's a low bar to clear. When you look at his overall impact on the world and the things he's inspiring people to do, it feels very clear (at least to me) that he's doing more harm than good.

Perhaps it does highlight that young guys are yearning for a role model that talks to them and validates their struggles. I'm just not sure that person should be Andrew Tate.

That's leaving aside the crimes he's being investigated for, of course. 😅
    Post edited by JustV on
    The truth resists simplicity.