Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Crafty Time

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,104 Community Veteran
Hi :) hope you are all having a lovely day today. I don't know if anyone is interested but I thought it would be cool to have a thread on crafting and where we could post things we have made. I thought the crafting thread could also inspire others maybe. :)
Just a person who likes pop culture and films

Comments

• Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 468 Listening Ear
    Wow Amy that's amazing!! It looks so cosy! It must be so relaxing doing crochet <3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    Thank you so much @Kaii it is soo calming doing crochet. It can be hard trying to choose colours though :lol::relaxed:
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,054 Boards Guru
    I love this thread!

Your blanket looks amazing @Amy22 - I love all the different patterns in each of the squares! It does look very cosy too.
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 375 Listening Ear
    Love it amy!
    Whats a signatureeeww
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,106 Wise Owl
    the crochet looks amazing @Amy22
  • Options
    Thank you so much its nearly done ish but it's taking soo long :lol:
  • Options
    about to make a cardigan in blocks lace stitch :innocent:
  • Options
    fiona333fiona333 Posts: 141 Helping Hand
    edited August 2022
    @Amy22 wow that’s incredible, can’t imagine how long it took! I love the patterns ❤️

I’ve gotten really into cross stitching this summer, it’s satisfying but can be fidgety and rewarding.
  • Options
    I thought about doing cross stitch before but I know it would take ages and a lot of focus for me 😂
  • Options
    I've always wanted to learn how to make a little penguin like this:

w4y5wgxelz9z.png

Has anyone made anything like this before?

Maybe it can be something I try to do by Christmas :D
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    @Aife aww I want one now =)
  • Options
    @Amy22 it's so cute isn't it?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    @Aife I know right, I badly want to make this for someone at Xmas time
  • Options
    I just made a start on making my cardigan for college. Its gonna be rainbow themed and I'm using blocks lace stitch for the pattern 🧶
  • Options
    Cant wait to see it amy!!
    Whats a signatureeeww
  • Options
    I cant wait to show you eekK!
  • Options
    I also found out rainbow cardigans are very popular on youtube atm might change the colours up not sure
  • Options
    Amy22 wrote: »
    I also found out rainbow cardigans are very popular on youtube atm might change the colours up not sure

I think pastel colours would look amazing! Or galaxy theme! Some sparkling yarn may look pretty good with it. Or maybe colour combinations associated with your favourite TV shows, movies, books or music or whatever else! Or keep it safe with neutrals lol, lets you wear it around more
    Whats a signatureeeww
  • Options
    Thank you @Spoon :) choosing colours are a nightmare for me lol
  • Options
    ilovetaylorswiftilovetaylorswift Posts: 96 Budding Regular
    @Amy22 i really want to learn to crochet, do you have any tips? <3
  • Options

Crochet is so awesome I really love it and I find it is good for stress and anxiety. I would say start off learning the basic stitches which are double crochet, treble crochet n stuff. I would say practice doing a chain first before making anything. I know Youtube has plenty of videos and tutorials on crochet which I use all the time. Also, some good advice sometimes the videos are either in us or UK terms so it might be a good idea to research the UK crochet terms and us terms. This might sound like a lot but once you get into it it is very fun. I would recommend either What or Poundland for wool as they do very good deals on wool. :) hope you enjoy crocheting.

<3
  • Options
    Amy22 wrote: »

Crochet is so awesome I really love it and I find it is good for stress and anxiety. I would say start off learning the basic stitches which are double crochet, treble crochet n stuff. I would say practice doing a chain first before making anything. I know Youtube has plenty of videos and tutorials on crochet which I use all the time. Also, some good advice sometimes the videos are either in us or UK terms so it might be a good idea to research the UK crochet terms and us terms. This might sound like a lot but once you get into it it is very fun. I would recommend either What or Poundland for wool as they do very good deals on wool. :) hope you enjoy crocheting.

<3

Thank you so much :) I'm trying to find a hobby for stress & anxiety so that's good. 💜 Can I use any wool or does it have to be special wool? I have some wool but not sure if you need certain wool. Thank you so much for the information. I'm going to buy some things online now. <333
  • Options
    edited August 2022

I’m still learning but this is what I learnt so far. When you first do it, just learn basic stitches. Make a square. You obviously need to chain stitch or you won’t have a project to begin with. I would say learning single and double stitch are probably the most useful ones and easiest, you can do so much with double crochet! Slip stitch is also very useful as it connects pieces together. Basically learn the basics because a lot of more complex stitches are kinda like an extension of the basics if that makes sense. You should also have a needle specifically for wool for some projects, for example, if u wanna make a hat.

When you buy wool, it should say what size hook you should use. You can also use a slightly bigger or smaller size depending on how loose you want your work to be. So its good to have different sized hooks on you.

Count your stitches! I made that mistake of not doing it a lot, it makes it go all wonky because I would end up missing or adding stitches. Also, don’t make your stitches too tight or it’ll curl up.

Magic circles are useful to learn how to do for a lot of projects.

https://youtu.be/Ya7XFjJg9Jg This is a very good tutorial on making a beanie, very beginner friendly. Its literally making a rectangle and it looks so good! The only thing kiiinda outside the basics is that you only go in the back loop to create a ribbed effect. Otherwise it’s just double crochets and then slip stitch. Hope u enjoy crocheting!

Edit: oops I’m not amy lol

Meh
    Whats a signatureeeww
  • Options
    No worries @Spoon I'm glad u shared that pattern it looks pretty cool for the winter.

@ilovetaylorswift no worries I'm happy to help :) I've only just started a while ago around December time I think so I'm still kinda new to it all. You don't have to buy any special wool really you can use any type of wool. I tend to use dk wool which is double knit wool which is kinda of a mix of thin and thick wool. You can get variegated yarn which is like colourful yarn as well as sparkly yarn. I'm a massive wool holder for that type of yarn lol
  • Options
    @amy22 & @spoon thank you so much for your replies!!! they are so helpful :) Spoon i will definitely check out that video and i'll try to get different size hooks. Thanks guys for the information and tips <33
  • Options
    also @spoon how do you do that little "whats a signatureeeww" at the bottom of your comments haha <3
  • Options
    also @spoon how do you do that little "whats a signatureeeww" at the bottom of your comments haha <3

oh wait never mind i think i know 💜
  • Options
    @Amy22 i really want to learn to crochet, do you have any tips? <

oh wait never mind i think i know 💜

Haha added that by accident
    Whats a signatureeeww
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Octopus spam:

Prototypes:

h6y9xwmbc9ap.jpeg
    42ezipndv0rv.jpeg

Sturdier ones:

vfacyo6yjqtj.jpeg