Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

London Youth Mentoring

DupautexDupautex Posts: 1 Just got here
Hello, I hope this message finds you well.

I'm posting as I have an issue.

I have clinical depression, as I don't do what what makes me happy. What I want to do is mentor young people like myself in London, who are struggling mentally. I want to be there for someone as I wish someone would for myself. I've found jobs are too structured for the kind of informal care and support I can offer, for what I can do for others.

Therefore, I have been trying to reach distressed young people in London. I've recently been matched with a young person through the Maudsley CAMHS Mentoring Program, and waiting to be matched with another through XLP London (a youth mentoring program). I'm also trying to attend youth support groups, and online mental health communities like this one.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can connect to people who may want my help in London?

Comments

• daisyella12daisyella12 Posts: 119 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Dupautex

Wow, this is such a kind and generous thing to do! I'm afraid I don't have the answer to your question but I wanted to let you know that I think what you're doing will help a lot of people, so thank you and well done!! :)
  • ItaliaItalia Posts: 233 Trailblazer
    Hey @Dupautex

Welcome to the community :)

Just to echo what @daisyella12 said above, it's really cool that you want to do this. I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling with depression, and thanks for sharing this with us - we're here to listen if you ever want to talk.

It's understandable that you want to make a difference to other people who have had similar experiences, and is a really lovely thing to do. It sounds like you've already found two mentoring opportunities which is pretty cool. Can I ask how many opportunities are you looking for? Mentoring can take up quite a bit of time and energy, so make sure you make the time to take care of yourself as well :)

The great thing about the community here, is you can always get involved and support other community members by just commenting on their posts and lending a listening ear. It also means you can do as much or as little as you like :)

Let us know if you're looking for something a bit more formal though and we can make some suggestions.

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
    -
    Brene Brown

• RenPRenP Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    Hey @Dupautex

Big up yourself! You will help a lot of young people.

The only advice I would give to you is to just go with those two for now, because if you try and do too many things at once then you could get run down and in turn not be taking care of yourself, which takes priority.

You never know that these two opportunities could lead to other things, a different opportunity could crop up. Attending youth support groups and online mental health communities is a great way to connect to more people and get your foot in the door, so it sounds like you are on the right path! Just keep believing in yourself <3