Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I'm Pregnant

Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
Yeah pretty much what it says. Very excited and keeping the baby. Going for my first appointment on Thursday. Known for about 6 weeks now but haven't had the strength to load this page back up yet.

Will probably end up posting a little more on here for support or whatever but not sure yet.

I'm not eligible for any benefits or support until the baby is born, which totally sucks (because I'm a student)

I've applied for UC based on the fact that I was in care but did a calculator which decided that I'll be eligible for fuck all. We'll see what they say.

My living situation isn't totally legal, I'm not on the tenancy agreement and I'm expecting a lot of issues surrounding this and claiming benefits for baby. It's gonna be a total mess if I'm honest and not looking forward to it. Before anyone comments about living situation, I was gonna be homeless.
               (_)
                |
           ()---|---()
                |
                |
         __     |     __
        |\     /^\     /|
          '..-'   '-..'
            `-._ _.-`
                `

Comments

• Options
    daisyella12daisyella12 Posts: 119 The Mix Convert
    @Anch0r33

That's such exciting news! Congratulations! Thank you for taking us on this journey with you, we are happy to support you :)

Have you spoken to anyone in particular about the potential benefits and financial help you could get? or is this something you have found out online?

I'm so sorry about your living situation. Is there anyone you can talk to about this that may be able to help you to get your own housing? It may be worth ringing your local council as they may be able to give you some advice on the situation regarding housing for you and your baby.

Sending you loads of hugs in this scary and exciting situation <3
  • Options
    @daisyella12 thanks for this!

I don't qualify for any benefits at all. Been checking plenty online etc, spoken to my uni and they're assessing me for extra but I already get high discretionary funding be sure I'm care experienced.

Regarding the housing situation, I live happily with my partner in our flat together and I wouldn't dream of moving out. I just can't be on the rental agreement because my uncle is renting it to us (knowingly) but his buy-to-rent mortgage states that family members can't live in the house. It's not ideal tbh and I've been asking him to change the mortgage now he's off furlough (that was the reason some mortgage people wouldn't lend to him even though they'd allow renting to family) it was a bit of a mess so we'll see.

Thanks for the love <3
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    daisyella12daisyella12 Posts: 119 The Mix Convert
    @Anch0r33

You're welcome!

That is such a shame, but I am glad you are still trying!

ohhhh! I understand now thank you for explaining. That is a difficult situation to be in, hopefully he will be able to get you on the tenancy agreement, if not it may be worth seeing if you and your partner could find somewhere else to rent where you could both be on the agreement. I know it's not ideal but it wouldn't be fair for you to not get child benefits just because you aren't on the tenancy agreement. Even if you find somewhere else just until your uncle can sort something for you!

You're welcome! I hope everything works out for you and your baby <3
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    Congratulations! This is huge news! Hope all works out ok for your living situation too <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
    Late to the party on this but wanted to say a huge congratulations @Anch0r33 - how lovely!

Definitely feel free to post a bit more about it here as the situation develops. With your housing situation, it sounds like you did what you had to and ultimately the right thing. I don't suppose you've spoken to Citizens Advice about the money/legal side?
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Really late too, but huge huge congrats, I am so glad you're feeling so thrilled and I am sure you'll be an amazing parent, just seeing you be so kind, caring and supportive to others on the Mix shows that you're so compassionate, which is exactly what a little baby needs <3 Really hope things can start to look up on the housing and support side of things, you want to feel as calm and relaxed as possible and you deserve that truly. Big hugs to all three of you =) x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    We've now been offered council accomodation so waiting for a viewing for that.

My little boy is now nearly 5 months old, he's a smasher. Doing amazingly and love him so much.

Benefits are hit and miss. We've got them currently (under £100 a month because we're students) but as soon as we move into council house we'll drop below the threshold so won't be entitled to anything at all.

Living my best life though
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `