Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Trigger

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
I was opposite somewhere where something happened and I was having flashbacks and uneasy, is it normal to have that or R we able to b content wherever we are?
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,238 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @ellie2000

Thanks for reaching out to us. I think you have been really brave in reaching out to us. I can completely hear why you might have flashbacks.

Are you able to talk to anyone about how you are feeling about the flashbacks? I want you to know that you aren't on your own with this, and can always talk to someone and be heard! <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I think this makes a lot of sense what you're saying Ellie. When our brain thrusts a really intense horrible reminder of difficult times upon us, coping with this can feel pretty impossible, like will we be able to find a sincere sense of happiness?

You ask a really good question about being content wherever, and I truly do believe that this is possible. However, that's definitely easier said than done and can't just be achieved by telling ourselves to be happy and to cope. Sometimes getting past such overwhelming emotions and horrid reminders is even accepting that maybe the next ten minutes won't be happy or maybe even the whole rest of the day, but finding some space just to breathe and think is something. It must have been especially difficult and confusing for you to return to a place where something happened and all the more stressful when flashbacks came about. It sounds like you'd really like to be able to move away from experiencing flashbacks, which makes total sense, and is definitely what you deserve. It would be really awesome to find some peace in your day-to-day life, and so I am wondering how you might cope when you experience flashbacks? <3<3<3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    edited February 2022
    do u hav any ideas to cope wen moments happen of flashbacks?
    Post edited by ellie2000 on
    Crazy mad insane
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    without having anyone face 2 face
    Crazy mad insane
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hey @ellie2000

I'm wondering if you've been able to use grounding techniques to help you cope when these flashbacks overwhelm you, something like counting each finger by holding each one as you count, or saying 5 things you can see, hear, smell, taste and touch can be really helpful to keep you in the present moment.
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,238 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @ellie2000

Thanks for your great question. I agree with what @Brookee has already said. Also, I have identified that you don't mind speaking to people, but would rather not speak to them face to face. Would you feel comfortable talking to people by email, text, or phone? There's always support available that's not face to face if that's what you would prefer! :3
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Such an important question, Ellie, especially given that you deserve to know some peace from overwhelming and distressing flashbacks! I think there are some great ideas in terms of reaching out via text or trying grounding, especially when you're in the midst of a flashback <3 I wonder also, if you've ever thought of anything that will be a shock to the system to remind yourself where you are (and that you're not in the flashback right now)? I know it sounds like such an inconsequential thing, but I find it useful to bring myself back to the now by running freezing cold water or putting an ice pack on my neck. I know this isn't a long-term solution for coping, but it could be useful just for the short-term? <3 xxxx