Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What teachers have inspired you?

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,802 Master Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I know that a few months ago there was a similar thread but it seems to be something that hasn't been commented on for about 5 months so I decided to make a new thread rather than resurrecting an old thread. Feel free to talk about teachers who have inspired you and how they did it. Just obviously don't mention their name (to protect their privacy which is very important.)
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Dancer

Thanks for this great thread. The teachers who have inspired me have always been really knowledgeable, but most importantly supportive and engaging. Which teachers have inspired you? I would be interested to hear your thoughts and everyone else's thoughts too :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    A teacher at my senior school motivated me by telling me I wasn't smart enough to get into the uni I want and to do the degree I want. Then I got an unconditional offer to my uni and I'm now in my third year predicted to graduate with a first. They didn't inspire me but I'm happy I'm doing well and proving them wrong lol.
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    Hey @Dandelion

It sounds like you have come such a long way and rightly proved them wrong. How does that make you feel? I have experienced similar and I think for me it gives me such a confidence boost and determination. Keep proving them wrong! <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,035 Boards Guru
    This is a lovely thread @Dancer <3

My art teachers were always really nice and supportive, they used to let us hang out there over lunch or after school whenever we needed a quiet place to go away from everything. I always really appreciated that from them and loved art because of it!
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Hey @Aife

Thanks for your response. It was great hearing your story and which teachers have inspired you.

I do indeed think those supportive teachers can make you enjoy their subject, no matter how much you would have otherwise liked it or disliked it.

Super important to have those teachers in education! (and their attitudes and support in general life) <3
  • Options
    Does anyone else have any teachers that they feel have really made a difference for them?
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • Options
    My year 6 teacher used to complain a lot to my mum about my behaviour and it was all traits of autism. Yet he never did anything about it and just assumed that I was being difficult. My mum never gave up on it though and pushed for me to get assessed for autism and then get the support that I needed even if it did take years.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I do have teachers who have really made a difference for me! In the sense of improving my educational experiences and in the sense of who I know I do not want to be. It sounds like you do too @Dancer.

It is really positive to hear that you recognise the things that used to be problematised are traits of autism! You know you weren’t just being difficult. How great that your mum never gave up and pushed for you to get assessed for autism and receive the support you needed.

I can hear the waiting times but it sounds like you are in a good place with it all now which is really great to hear :)