Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dating a 16 year old at 18

awesomeminecraft6789awesomeminecraft6789 Deactivated Posts: 1,052 Wise Owl
Hi guys I want your opinion on something and this isn't for me it's for a friend,

So basically both are worried about the fact one of them is 18 now and the fact that the other is 16 going on 17 this year so I've searched it up it says it isn't but I know you can't always trust what the internet says so I wanted you guys opinion is it illegal to date at 16 while the other is 18? Or is it ok to? I just want to know for my friend

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @awesomeminecraft6789

Thanks for your post. I believe it is okay for a 16-year-old and an 18-year-old to date. At least I think it is legal. Can someone please correct me if I am wrong though? Many thanks in advance! :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    edited January 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    awesomeminecraft6789awesomeminecraft6789 Deactivated Posts: 1,052 Wise Owl
    Yeah I told her the same thing I just wanted to know if it is ok and I can agree with the age being irrelevant, as long as it's not abusive or a forced one I think it's ok as long as their not like, say, 40 or 50, or possibly 30 as well I'd say it's ok I just wanted to make sure I was right cause I don't want to get them In trouble you know what I mean?
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Oh absolutely! We are indeed always here for you @awesomeminecraft6789. If you stumble across any more questions, please feel free to ask away. If not, we will always at least listen :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Just adding to the conversation here to clarify for anyone that the age of consent in the UK is 16, and so legally speaking, there isn't anything wrong with a relationship between a 16 year old and an 18 year old. As @zay said, so long as both people feel happy and safe about their relationship, and don't feel pressured into anything, then it feels like the line 'age is just a number' is the thing to focus on here.

On a more general note, there can be lots of things to think about regarding age gaps, some of which is outlined in this article here.

When it comes to really large age gaps, with the young person being under 18, it is important to recognise the power dynamics that are likely to be in play. For example, a significantly older adult is likely to be far more experienced and may have different expectations from a relationship than a younger person may have, and that can put quite a lot of pressure to 'act older'. It's really important for people to feel safe and comfortable at going at their own pace in a relationship, regardless of how old you are :3

This isn't really a post specific to the situation you have raised @awesomeminecraft6789 - but more for anyone stumbling over this thread who may be having similar questions about a larger age gap.
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.