Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

cbd oil for depression?

denimchickendenimchicken Posts: 1 Just got here
hellooo, happy new year.
i wanted to see if anybody was willing to share their experience in using cbd oil, specifically as a way of managing depression. i've seen a few things online about it being helpful but the research is very limited.
i've also heard it can help with improving focus, improving sleep and reducing pain (all of which i could very much use) so any stories about that would be equally useful. ultimately i am gonna ask my gp about it but i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask some other people.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisMChrisM Moderator, Staff Posts: 43 Boards Initiate
    Happy new year @denimchicken
    This is a really interesting area with some contradictory views out there.
    The Mix has some info on CBD oil here: https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/looking-after-yourself/what-is-cbd-oil-35040.html but it sounds like you are interested in the real-life experiences from the community as well as experts.
    It is a really good idea to get the facts you need - including from your GP - before you make your decision.
    Good luck in your research!
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hiya @denimchicken

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out.

Unfortunately, I don't have any lived experience with using CBD oil for depression. I am hoping someone can respond to you with the lived experience you are looking for!

However, I just want to say that there will be mixed reviews. There are mixed reviews for everything because different things work for different people. I hope you find something which helps you to manage your depression.

I am wishing you a happy new year too! And a warm welcome to The Mix community. It is great to see you have joined us :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    daisyella12daisyella12 Posts: 119 The Mix Convert
    Happy New Year @denimchicken!

Thank you for your post. As @Laura_tigger82 mentioned there is not a one fits all solution, so just because CBD oil may work for some people may not mean it will work for you. Although, I appreciate the courage it must've took to reach out and that is the first step into recovery :)

I do have some personal experience of CBD oil, my partner has been using it for about 2 years to help with his sleep and anxiety, which it has massively improved. It has also helped him with pain on some occasions. However, I would agree with @ChrisM in saying that it would be best to consult your GP before trying it!

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    gia9720gia9720 Posts: 117 The Mix Convert
    research is very limited but i think theres no harm in trying new things :)
  • Options
    Neha12Neha12 Posts: 12 Settling in
    I think that work for me in treating depression is acupuncture and herbal supplements. I tried CBD also, but that didn't give me any type of relaxation.

So, I moved towards some herbal therapies to treat depression. COVID was a tough time for me. But now I'm happy that I got some better solutions to treat depression.

You can also try it, after consulting your
  • Options
    Hey @Neha12! Thanks for sharing your advice and experience about what helped you and what did not help you. I am glad to hear you managed to find some relief from the depression. How are you currently feeling? :3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,617 Legendary Poster
    Hey @denimchicken I vape CBD based e-liquid sometimes, I tried it recently after someone recommended it to me. It’s very expensive so I have limited experience but I’ve certainly found it’s helped me to relax when I have used it. It’s definitely worth a try, if you do your research and get all the facts and make sure you’re informed about it. It can have lots of benefits and seems to have few negative side effects so there’s usually no harm in giving it a shot :)
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Hey @Independent! Thanks for sharing your insights and experiences too. Your insights and experiences are always super valuable. I am glad to hear it has helped you :3
  • Options
    maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @denimchicken Obviously there are actually scientific studies to look at but my personal experience is that it has no effect however my mother used it for joint relief and depression and it worked for her. I think that there is no harm in trying as long as you follow the correct dosage and instructions. Maybe keep a mood journal while you are doing it. Hope this helps!