Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Intrusive Thoughts

Phantom26Phantom26 Posts: 1 Just got here
I have been having these horrible intrusive thoughts that are too scary and embarrassing for me to talk about. They make me feel so bad about myself and I get really anxious. Now I can't enjoy anything or just be alone with my thoughts. I don't know how to deal with them.

Comments

• Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hi @Phantom26 I'm really sorry these thoughts are becoming so distressing and upsetting for you. I want you to know that intrusive thoughts are more common than you would think. I know it seems shameful and embarrassing but there's really nothing to be embarrassed about, you're not a bad person at all! I wonder, have you tried writing these thoughts down on a piece of paper? When we see things written down, it can be easier to cope with these feelings and thoughts. Also, it's really important to say that it's really incredible that you can label these thoughts as intrusive and thank you so much for opening up to us on here.

By acknowledging these thoughts, you're already doing incredible! Letting them pass through without following them up or ruminating on them can be really helpful in letting them go, or preventing them from causing you extra distress or upset. Resisting them can only make them worse, so by acknowledging them and letting them pass, it can make them easier to cope with. Remember these intrusive thoughts aren't a reflection of you as a person, it's just a part of your active imagination but not your own reality.

Also, I wonder, have you thought about accessing therapy or counselling for these thoughts, therapists can help you work through these, particularly if these thoughts are overwhelming and very distressing for you to deal with.

I hope some of these helps, and just remember this isn't a reflection on you and who you are as a person, sending you lots of love, and remember we're always here for you!
  • Options
    charlieboyzcharlieboyz Posts: 178 Helping Hand
    @Phantom26, i'm so sorry this is happening and i think you should know that theres lots of places that can help. When I get to a low point i nearly always speak to www.childline.org.uk or www.kooth.com