Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Soothing Saturday

BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
Happy Saturday all!

Hope you’re having a really lovely weekend so far. Just popping on to maybe start a new thread of any positive self-care you do that helps soothe your mind and body.

I think this is a great way to reach others and help each other finding something that is really soothing and can help you wind down and relax, particularly when going through difficult times or emotions.

I’ll start: I normally like to light some really nice smelling candles (I’m really loving pine and clean cotton right now), get under a warm blanket and read some fiction (I’m reading Midnight Sun at the moment). This helps me escape reality just for a little while and helps me feel more calm and safe.

Comments

• AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    This is a great thread, thank you for posting it @Brookee.

I love candles too. On Saturday I went to buy some candles and just had a relaxing evening at home watching a film with my new candles burning - it was really nice! I got a Cinnamon and Apple scent. I might buy a Gingerbread one soon so I can have some Christmassy scents!
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @Aife that sounds so lovely! I'm so glad you had such a lovely relaxing day on Saturday!

Ooh that sounds lovely! I cannot wait for Christmas now, I'm already in the Christmas spirit, do you enjoy Christmas time?
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Fab idea! :heart:

Your self care sounds so lovely. I love to pop on soundtracks from my favourite musicals and sing along to those while I bake. The baking is so therapeutic and the musicals give me so much happiness :blush:
    @coc0mac Thank you so much! <3

That sounds absolutely amazing, what's your favourite musicals to listen to? It's so amazing to see what everyone does to make them feel happy and relaxed. I can see how baking would be therapeutic for you, it sounds so lovely.
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    It's so lovely! :heart: Oh gosh so many - I think my faves would probably be everybody's talking about jamie, wicked, and waitress @Brookee! X
    @coc0mac That sounds amazing, it makes me so happy to hear about your self-care routine! I'm so pleased they make you so happy! x
    Just updating this; today I got myself up and did a workout and it made me feel much better. Sometimes self-care means pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and that’s okay. Just a reminder that you’re doing amazing and sending everyone no end of hugs <3
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Brookee

Thanks for starting this thread. I have loved reading your and everyone else's responses. Personally, I like warm baths/showers, watching Disney+ (Simpsons is my pick-me-up!), and going for walks. I am looking forward to reading everyone else's responses if anyone else wants to add their self-care strategies! <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    @Laura_tigger82 Thanks so much for sharing!!

The Simpsons is such a good program to put on when you need something light-hearted to have on :) Walks are lovely too. It sounds like you've got some really good self-care strategies and thanks so much for sharing them with us!<3
    Today I gave myself permission to have a lay in, as my whole body has just felt very drained and exhausted all week. I also moved my body, because I know that really helps my mental health. I get very irritable and easily upset when I don't do some sort of exercise, even if that's just going for a 10 minute walk.

I hope your weekend is going fantastically :)
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Really highlights the importance of self-care @Brookee. Glad to hear you are making time for it =)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.