Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tips on looking after yourself and easing anxiety during Halloween

AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
Hi everyone,

The darker evenings and events such as Halloween can be a time of year many people struggle with. We wanted to create a thread where we can all share tips on how to look after yourselves and ease anxiety during this time of year.

I've listed a couple tips below, feel free to comment below any of your own tips or advice you would give to someone struggling this time of year <3

1. Explore why you find this time of year difficult
Either through journaling, reflection or make a discussion here on the community to get some support from others.

2. Challenge your thoughts
For those 'what if' thoughts you might be having, think about how likely they are to happen and think of alternatives such as 'What if this will be okay'. Writing them down and challenging each worry can be really helpful.

3. Get support from friends and the community
It's okay to find this time of year difficult and knowing you've got someone to talk to can make a difference. The community are here to support you too - everyone is so lovely here <3

4. Try breathing exercises
Mindful breathing can be a really good way to help you if you're feeling anxious. You can try some mindful breathing by following this YouTube video.

5. Celebrate Halloween your own way
There's no right or wrong way to celebrate Halloween if you want to do something. Focus on the parts that don't make you feel anxious. I love baking, so you could make pumpkin flavoured cakes instead of scary decorations!

If you have any tips that could help someone struggling during this time of year, comment them below <3
Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Aife,

Thanks for your post. I agree very much. For me, I don't like to be outside in the hustle and bustle of Halloween. However, I instead know I much prefer sitting indoors with the comfort of a cup of tea and a Disney Halloween movie =)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Great post idea! Love all these tips. I think it's all about finding your version of comfort. Maybe you have a safe space or person that you can turn to during this time. Maybe it's small things like leaving a light on ready for when you get home, so that it's not so dark. Or trying out a new evening routine that is comforting and is something to look forward to! :heart: