Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vote to decide The Mix's Christmas campaign topic

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
edited October 2021 in We Need You
Hello Mixlorians 👋

The Mix is starting to plan it's Christmas campaign, and as always we need your help! We've heard from young people that these topics are all important to them, but now we need to narrow it down to a single one. Vote on the poll below and the winning option will become our key theme.

Here are the options. There are a lot of things we can explore within these topics too. :)
  • Religion and culture (e.g. how different cultures and religions celebrate Christmas)
  • Social media (e.g. FOMO, comparing to others, body positivity)
  • Being young (e.g. pressure to have fun, being around family with different views to you)

The Mix's elves have spent a while boiling down the research to these topics, so we probably won't be considering other ideas at this stage. But if you do have an idea you want to share, post it below. :)

All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Vote to decide The Mix's Christmas campaign topic 16 votes

Religion and culture
43% 7 votes
Social media
37% 6 votes
Being young
18% 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    I think it would be nice to acknowledge different cultures and religions. In the UK we are now seeing larger amounts of people who no longer traditionally celebrate Christmas and this can be isolating for them.

It's good to teach people that everyone is different and to learn about how people celebrate differently or don't celebrate at all and this would be a perfect way to do so.

Nice one guys!
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    La_LaLa_La Posts: 156 Helping Hand
    edited November 2021
    This sounds really interesting, I like all the topics. One interesting story is that in Japan, they often celebrate Christmas by buying KFC (often limited edition pre-order kfc boxes) and getting a more sponge-like fresh cream Christmas cake to celebrate the occasion. Its a fried poultry holiday for most.
    z0sebrbso9e7.jpg
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,788 Master Poster
    In Spain, there is a Christmas Lottery every year which schoolchildren help out with. I learnt about it in year 9 and it seemed really interesting.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    Thank you so much everyone for voting on what you think The Mix's Christmas campaign should focus on. We've taken the results from the poll and can confirm that Religion and Culture will be our topic this year!

It's great to see you've all started to have some discussions on this already @Dancer @La_La @Anch0r33.

We'd love to include you all in how we shape this campaign. What discussions would you like to see on religion and culture and do you have any ideas on what you'd like the campaign name to be?
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    I want to see stuff about how people of different religions and cultures celebrate Christmas. And also about what people who do not celebrate Christmas might do instead as an alternative.
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Ooh this is interesting, silly me didn’t read the thread before voting so didn’t realise it’d already been chosen lol.

I agree with @Dancer I’d like to see discussions about how different cultures and religions celebrate (or don’t celebrate) Christmas. It’s something I don’t know much about so I look forward to reading them.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Think a big thing for those that do celebrate Christmas is food and gift giving/other traditions. Would love to see how it's celebrated differently across the globe.

Maybe try and do all the religions and what they do (Christmas/no Christmas) etc.

I'd also be keen to see traditional dress wear for different countries and religions
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    La_LaLa_La Posts: 156 Helping Hand
    It would be nice to also see alternatives that people may celebrate instead of Christmas, like the Winter Solstice! I agree with the other posts, it would be nice to see how varying cultures celebrate the season; and whether its religious to them or not.
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    1000% agree about looking towards other holidays which occur around a similar time of year. I think, given that the UK is officially a Christian country and Christmas is super popular here, other really important holidays aren't as spoken about in the mainstream media and such! I also think it would be cool to think about generational differences within this, e.g., how do younger Christians celebrate compared with older Christians? Or are there lots of similarities? Very cool topic altogether guys, great choice! x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    I don't know if this is too ambitious, but it might be quite cool to have a combined article, where people of different cultures and religions all describe the holidays they celebrate at this time of year and what it means to them. Like a joint-article piece that you'd see on the BBC website or something?
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.