Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Thoughts on Depop

Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Happy Monday Everyone🌞

The Mix are always looking to partner with brands and companies to help support as many young people as possible. We always try to make sure our partnerships are with companies that align with our values. With that in mind, we're looking at a few fashion brand partnerships and wondered what you guys thought of Depop

We'd love to know your thoughts in general but if you're stuck here's a couple questions to help you out:
  • Have you heard of Depop?
  • Have you used Depop before?
  • What do you like/dislike about it?

Let us know below! ✨
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I used depop once and got scammed.. wasn't best pleased. Not used it since.

Sorry it's a negative experience from me
  • Options
    JADE92JADE92 Posts: 30 Boards Initiate
    I have sold and bought things on Depop for the last 2 ish years. I haven't found any major issues with the platform itself and appreciate the concept of second hand items however just like any app/social media there is a chance for unpleasant encounters with people. I feel fairly neutral about it!
  • Options
    Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Thanks @GreenTea and @JADE92 for these thoughts they are really insightful.

Are we able to use these thoughts for a call with Depop tomorrow? We'll completely anonymise your comments first of course.

Let me know :)
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,500 Skive's The Limit
    I have used Depop. I like it
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sure @Emma_ I think it's more of a trust thing with me. I'd like to use it again some day but my experience puts me off
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I think there are some super amazing benefits of platforms like Depop because they can allow people to sell their products without having specific licences/in-person shops. I also think it can be helpful in gaining people a bit of money when they really need it! Despite this, I know some people have expressed disdain towards some Depop users who buy up lots of cheap clothes from charity shops only to resell them at a huge markup. Some people feel this is insensitive/unfair towards people who cannot afford more costly clothes and predominantly rely upon charity shops for outfits, same sentiment goes for people who buy up clothes in bigger sizes only to cut them up and resell them, as many popular brand shops do not cater to bigger sizes, so this further limits people's options. I suppose this problem is not an issue with Depop specifically though, and rather the users themselves! Just thought I'd share these thoughts <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    The idea of depop is great (not very unique in the modern world of online shopping and thrifting) but great, as it aims for users to restyle used clothes, sell clothes and more. It is good for the environment but only if clothes are worn for a long period of time. Of course it is good to recycle but we need to focus on the deeper issue, which is fast fashion and its effects especially on those less privileged. Unfortunately in selling apps where regulation is practically non-existent, gentrification occurs and the concept of thrifting has become almost seen as trendy.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    I've heard of it, but not used it myself. I know a couple of people that use Depop as a side hustle. Personally it's not for me - I like and trust some high street brands, so I stick with them because I know I'll get long-lasting quality products. With marketplaces like Depop, or other sites like Asos, it can feel a bit hit and miss sometimes from what I gather
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.