Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Humph. :S

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I love my bf to bits... we've been together 7 months, and I've never told him I love him. I always tell him how much he means to me, but I never said those 3 little (or big!) words.

It's just that, when I've said it before (to an ex-bf), I've really regretted it - and it seems it ruined the relationship - even though he said it first. And another bf said it to me once, and I felt awful because I didn't love him back. I didn't want to put myself or my bf in either of these positions again...

But, stupid me on Saturday night was drunk and told him - but I was too drunk to remember what he said in reply :S I don't know if he said it back, whether he was embarrassed, whether... grr, I dunno.

I think the only reason I'm posting this here is because I've got no-one else to tell really. I don't feel bad or anything, I feel better having told him how I really feel...

On MSN last night, he asked me 'Do you remember saying something last night?!' and I said 'Yeah... I'm sorry if I kinda put you on the spot or anything, I can't even remember what your reaction was, lol'... he said he just blushed.

He's a lovely guy, and the last thing I wanna do is muck stuff up now. Have I done the right thing? Or have I mucked it all up?! :S

Grrrrrrrrr I dunno what to think. Sorry for all this rambling :(

Comments

• Options
    So for that really long post you get this reply/question:

Do you actually love him? If so I really can't see a problem with telling him this. It's not like you're bluffing with some ulterior motive or just because you feel you should.

What you're really wanting is to have him say that he loves you and know he wasn't prompted, that he wasn't pushed and that he meant it. Insecurity isn't fun but it's something that can only be avoided by being confident.

Them's the breaks. I think you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Oh I hate these situations. I've done a similar thing before, where I drunkenly say something like 'I hope we never break up' and then start panicking and going 'oh, but you know I don't think we're going to be together forever...don't get freaked out or anything'. However, you obviously meant it, and you do love your boyfriend, so there's nothing wrong with telling him. I would just advise you not to keep mentioning it now, if he hasn't said it back, in case he does feel put under pressure. I don't think you've done anything wrong at all, just don't keep mentioning the other night. It's great that you know how you feel and that you were able to express it, so just don't think about it too much or let it get you down.
  • Options
    I told my girlfriend I loved her before she was comfortable expressing it to me and felt down about it but I have no problem believing her now when she says she did even then. The way it will work with you is also this.

I'm sure he does but not everyone can be as comfortable with their feelings and the commitment fallout that occurs afterwards as you or I.
  • Options
    I think you're both right.

I don't plan on mentioning it again... unless he brings the subject up first! lol

Thanks a lot :D xxx