Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Private surgery

Comments

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,514 Skive's The Limit
    Thank you.
    I’m really excited but really scared. Apparently really painful for 2 weeks
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,084 Wise Owl
    Hey Shaunie,

Just wanted to check in and say good luck with the procedure :heart:

We are here for you :smile:
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    I’m really scared. Been reading tonsillectomy can cause bad breath 😭
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    I had a bad day yesterday. Wrote some suicidal note thing and then the police found me.
  • Options
    There’s no going back now. I think I’d still have to pay for it even if I cancel so & £3,400 it is. Plus the £200 I payed for consultation. Plus I think the pain relief I’ll have to pay for. If this doesn’t work Im gunna really wanna die
    Good job I’m not going through the nhs my most recent one I was waiting for in September has been cancelled that’s
    4 times
    ur2wje173aot.jpeg
    z3ckleijnl7g.jpeg
    s5uwxcspxbna.jpeg
    3niohxcs2pts.jpeg
  • Options
    Why is the consultation sending me emails at this time questioning the whole surgery helpppp
  • Options
    meilameila Posts: 83 Budding Regular
    Hi @Shaunie <3 I think its good to go private at this point like you are :) It's just money at the end of they day- which in exchange for a shot at gaining more confidence- is a small price to pay! Especially when it makes you feel so bad, bless your heart <3 I really hope the operation helps you out and that it's definitely the tonsils causing the problem.
    In the mean time , do you use mints or anything to make you less anxious about it? <3
    And if it helps, bad breath- in the grand scheme of life- is something a lot of people learn to live with! A few years back my uncle got severe gingivitis and his whole gums started deteriorating, and even to this day he's conscious of his breath! He uses mouthwash, mints and chewing gum a lot, as well as drinks slot of water; apparently dehydration can play an enormous part in bad breath sometimes!
    But he's doing so well now! I hope that's of some comfort to you :3<3
  • Options
    @Shaunie in what way are they questioning the surgery? Are they asking why you're having it in the first place?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Thank you @meila
    Yeah I did feel a bit lonely with being self conscious about it but I do think it’s a common one more than think
    (It’s an email. I’ve just cropped out any details)

This are the two emails I just received an hour ago. Like 9pm.

bxj2zdo1lw0u.jpeg
    51kpzglvzqh9.jpeg

• Options
    No pressure but please can someone reply. I really need attention/someone to speak to right now. Do you think this means they’re cancelling it??
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Hi @Shaunie, Id say to answer their questions as thoroughly as you can and explain why you think you need the surgery, and see what they say <3
  • Options
    @Shaunie There's no indication of them cancelling it, I think they're just checking that you really want to go through with it and have strong reasoning to, because as they say, it can be quite a rough surgery!
  • Options
    Shall I lie and say someone commented on my breath?
  • Options
    @Shaunie no you shouldn't lie at all, lying is never the answer.
    Just tell them the truth! When did you start to notice having bad breath, how it's affecting you, why you think the surgery would help etc...
  • Options
    @Shaunie if no one has ever commented on it, do you think there might be a chance that it's not as bad as you think?
  • Options
    I’m not sure. People are just too polite to say. Plus I keep my distance even with family. And chew gum and mints. Ugh I’m so stressed. I do want a life. Be close with people and stuff
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I'm going to be really honest here. By the sounds of it they are asking all these questions because having tonsils out has such an awful recovery time experience and with you being older than when they normally take out tonsils, there's risks to it.
    They only want to be absolutely sure and probably fear having legal action taken if something goes wrong like infections etc
  • Options
    you've got this @Shaunie , just email back telling them everything you're telling me! :3<3
  • Options
    I have emailed back being honest but I’m so tempted to lie and over exaggerate and say my tonsils are really painful too :(

I can’t live like this anymore. I literally can’t and I will kill myself if I can’t fix this. Like that’s a bigger risk :(
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Only asked me two questions and both answer invalidate me. Because no I can’t see anything on my tonsils atm to even take a picture and no one has commented:(
  • Options
    Do private people work all round the clock because late email.?
  • Options
    @shaunie how are they invalidating you? What have they said?
  • Options
    It will be fixable @Shaunie , it's just about finding what the cause is <3 Maybe try to see it from the ENT perspective and think what would convince you to perform a big surgery like this; it needs solid reasoning because if not, they might actually cause more problems!
  • Options
    How sure are you that it's definitely your tonsils and not anything else? It could be worth explaining to them what you've tried
  • Options
    I’m not 100% sure as I think I might still feel the same afterwards but for how it’s making me feel then I have to try everything

It’s a very small surgery it’s not like they’re taking a kidney out
  • Options
    It's not a small surgery for an adult though. For a child yes, but it's different for an adult
  • Options
    It's not as small a surgery as you might think, the tonsils are so important for the immune system, catching germs you inhale and potentially eat. They also contain a lot of white blood cells (key part of the immune system) that will fight the germs. Some of those germs it fights can be odour causing, interestingly!
    Ill leave a link to a scientific journal below : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279406/
  • Options
    GreenTea wrote: »
    It's not a small surgery for an adult though. For a child yes, but it's different for an adult

Why what’s the difference?

It’s only £3,400 I think that is not a lot for surgery so it can’t be that major
    meila wrote: »
    It's not as small a surgery as you might think, the tonsils are so important for the immune system, catching germs you inhale and potentially eat. They also contain a lot of white blood cells (key part of the immune system) that will fight the germs. Some of those germs it fights can be odour causing, interestingly!
    Ill leave a link to a scientific journal below : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279406/

• Options
    The difference is.. sore throats etc cause scar tissue around tonsils which means they have to work around that. As an adult you would of have more sore throats and potential throat issues than a child would. It's all on Google..
  • Options
    Oh god I’m definitely going to have to lie to get it done then ahhh