Home Fix The Mix
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Limited spaces available! Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sub forum idea?

LorryTruckLorryTruck Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :)EnglandPosts: 2,118 Boards Champion
@TheMix So, in health and well-being, I think that there should be a sub forum called "harmful behavior" under a TW, so that it's separate to the other things that are put in health and wellbeing
so that things like self-harm and addiction are separate from for example, feelings.

I don't know if that's a good idea, just a suggestion.
I know you've heard this before, but you've got to be strong now...
lovemimoonMikeAislingDM

Comments

• GreenTeaGreenTea ☕🌻☕ MidlandsPosts: 11,612 An Original Mixlorian
    edited June 21
    Lorry truck I like this idea however it's down to us as community members to be adding trigger warnings to posts and using spoilers. I know theres been a few triggering things recently and the best thing to do is raise it with the mix so if need be the post can be edited. Hope that helps

The scars you can't see are the hardest to heal.     

Astrid Alauda

LorryTrucklovemimoonAzziman
  • ShaunieShaunie Posts: 13,041 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited June 21
    Do you mean because it needs a specific place for support or because it’s triggering? Just wondering as I think it wouldn’t need a separate place
  • LorryTruckLorryTruck Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 2,118 Boards Champion
    @Shaunie I think it needs a specific place, idk tbh. Not necessarily because it's triggering, but because I think that it should have it's own space. I dont know if that makes any sense.
    Shaunie
  • ShaunieShaunie Posts: 13,041 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    LorryTruck wrote: »
    @Shaunie I think it needs a specific place, idk tbh. Not necessarily because it's triggering, but because I think that it should have it's own space. I dont know if that makes any sense.
    That makes sense.
    I was about to say cause I haven’t seen anything triggering recently.

Is a good idea. I know childline had a health and well-being and a harmful behaviour separate. But they had a few things separate that could just go in one.
    LorryTruck
  • LorryTruckLorryTruck Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 2,118 Boards Champion
    @Shaunie Yeah they have quite a few things under health and wellbeing. Well I think they had a section called "harmful behavior" then had quite a few sub-categories. Childline has loads of categories which should've been put as one, I agree with that.

I just think it would be useful to separate harmful behavior because there is quite a lot of topics that could go into it.
  • GreenTeaGreenTea ☕🌻☕ MidlandsPosts: 11,612 An Original Mixlorian
    I don't think it needs its own place. I feel like we are all old enough to know what to say and we are a very much focus on feelings not actions

The scars you can't see are the hardest to heal.     

Astrid Alauda

LorryTruckDancerlovemimoon
  • MikeMike 🖥️🎧 LandaanPosts: 3,547 Community Manager
    Thanks for the suggestion @LorryTruck, and everyone else for sharing your thoughts. :) Always interesting to read these sorts of discussions, and suggestions are always useful.

For a while, we've been meaning to look at our guidelines around triggering content. Right now, there are a few things totally off limits in the guidelines, but we don't have any guidance on when to use trigger warnings. That's something we could add, and there are a few other options we're considering to encourage people to use more trigger warnings in their posts to be safe.

The nature of triggers means this isn't an exact science, and we may also be working with the mod team to see what we can do (e.g. proactively adding more TWs to heavy posts). :)

Adding a subforum is an option. Historically, we've consciously kept the number of forums we have down to make the community easy to navigate. A big consideration when adding new forums is whether that thing is already covered by an existing forum, or if it overlaps with multiple. In this case, things like addiction could also come under Drink & Drugs for example.

It also might be tricky for people to judge if something should be categorised as triggering or if something is a harmful behaviour, and we want to make sure any new forum gets enough usage to justify itself. We've closed a few old forums in the past that ended up being a bit dead.

Overall, we can definitely see where you're coming from and a subforum can solve a lot of problems. In this case, we'd probably look at other options first and see where that leaves us. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, and obviously we're open to further feedback if people disagree.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Want to join the community champions? Drop @TheMix a message!
    lovemimoonLorryTruckAislingDM
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon 🦋 Posts: 1,832 Extreme Poster
    Heya!

It's really interesting to see a lot of feedback about this!

I can see how this sub-forum would work! Have a safe space where we can discuss harmful behaviour. However, harmful behaviour falls under a lot of categories (substance abuse, cutting, pinching, biting, etc) so it might be hard to navigate through that. It is a good idea though!

On the other hand, I think it's also our responsibility to be aware of what we're posting and how it could impact someone. It's good that we're adding trigger warnings to our titles and posts, we're adding spoilers to our body texts but I know that we can do more. With the help of @Mike and the Mix team of course, they're already working on features. I saw one of their updates on the 'Change Diaries' forum: 'may need a trigger warning' might be a new option when reporting a post/comment!
    @Mike

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I think it would be great to look at triggering content guidelines. And yes, I have just realised that harmful behavior, such as addiction would overlap drink and drugs.

Just so people know what they should put trigger warnings for.
    lovemimoonAzziman