Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Orthodontic Treatment getting me down

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,795 Master Poster
I have been having Orthodontic treatment for a severe (13mm) overbite (also known as an overjet) for the past nearly 4 years. I have had braces for nearly 2 years and it seems like I am just getting nowhere with it. :(

I haven't even had my elastic bands on yet which is a very important part with braces as it will help to give my teeth the final push that it needs (but even then it would probably still be another 6 to 12 months before I can get my braces off as it takes a lot of time and is not as easy as it sounds.) I know that by the time I get my elastics on I will probably be moaning about how awful they are but I just feel so... aghhh!

In primary school before I started treatment, I used to be known as Buck Tooth and at the time I didn't really understand what it meant so it didn't really affect me but now it keeps on making me feel awful about myself. I want to be pretty.

Treatment is painful, stressful and I just really want to give up. However I don't want to be a disappointment. Yesterday at my appointment I almost ended up in tears as it was painful for me as the Orthodontic nurse helping out was awful at her job (she doesn't even normally work in Orthodontics) and the orthodontist ended up asking the consultant to take over.

Worst things about braces for me:

1. Tightening appointments are like appointments in hell
2. Diet Restrictions
3. My appearance
4. It is so hard to choose the colours that I want
5. Pain
6. Getting food stuck in my braces
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Comments

• Options
    Oh and also when the wire is digging in!
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • Options
    I don't know how much longer I can take it for with the treatment.
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    edited June 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Thank you so much. I found the retainer to be absolutely awful especially as I had to remove it when eating or drinking (anything other than water) and it was disgusting. At least I could remove that if my mouth needed a break from it. I used to struggle to breathe at night with the retainer especially if I had a cold and honestly that was awful. :( I don't know if I can stay strong.
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.