Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hair care

Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
Looking for some good tips for keeping hair in good condition - my hair has just regrown for the first time since I was a young teenager (6 ish years) and I never went through the female teen obsession with their hair. I never learned how to deal with it because well, I never thought I'd have any. 

I'm looking for advice on how to keep it healthy, keep it growing strong and best styling and hydration tips. I'm totally new to this and it's only recently become long enough for me to start considering all of this. 

Advice from male and female definitely welcomed. My hair is excessively curly and I think it feels quite coarse? Would like it to be easier to control and softer! 
               (_)
                |
           ()---|---()
                |
                |
         __     |     __
        |\     /^\     /|
          '..-'   '-..'
            `-._ _.-`
                `

Comments

• ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Anch0r33! I myself have quite short, naturally curly hair. My best tips would be to stay away from anything hot! E.g. Straighteners or hot settings on a hair dryer, this will cause the curls to loose their spring. I am trying to use heat products less than I used to because Im trying to get my old curls back!

If you're wanting it to grow out curly and not frizzy then I would suggest scrunching your hair when you wash it and don't towel dry it - scrunch it with an old t shirt or something similar, a towel creates frizz for curly hair. I also use a diffuser on a cold setting to define the curls more!

Hope that helps! 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited September 2020
    Wash twice and conditioner! Don't wash it daily as that's bad for the hair, wash it every other day ish. I do mine every 3 days as that's how I've trained my hair. 

Hair masks are great but don't use coconut products because it dries out your hair.
    Don't use heat, it breaks the ends of hair and damages it. 
    If at any point you struggle with frizz, anti frizz serums are helpful
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    You guys are brilliant, thank you I'll keep all this in mind! I never expected to have hair so it's all a bit sudden! Everything online is so mixed so I wanted some people with some proper experience instead of writing for the sake of writing!

:) 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Everyone's hair is different, everyone's hair reacts differently and has different needs. It's about finding what works for you.

I take hair and nail specific vitamins which I've noticed have improved my hair
    I'll check some of that out. I'm glad you mentioned the coconut because my hair mask is mainly coconut based! I'll be looking to get a new one. I've heard argon oil is good for the hair but the ones I've found seem to be more for styling than for keeping hair healthy. I'm giving it a try anyway, it seems to help keep it from drying up. I'm just worried about using too much or not enough or genuinely just drying my hair out. 

(_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I’ve got naturally curly hair too and I find the best thing for it is to use a gentle shampoo without any silicone or harsh ingredients in - these I think can be good for fragile hair as well. I actually get mine from Avon (I have a family member who is a representative for them so that’s how I found it). I also condition my hair regularly - conditioner is way more important than shampoo for caring for your hair and keeping it healthy. 

I also agree that you absolutely shouldn’t wash your hair every single day, that dries it out and makes it more prone to being damaged.

I’ve really tried to cut down on using heat on my hair as well, I used to straighten mine all the time but now haven’t for quite a while. If you are going to use heat of any kind on your hair then definitely use a good heat protection spray. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    I'll have a look I to shampoo for fragile hair. Do either of you have any suggestions of brands @independent_ @GreenTea

I'll try washing it every 3 days and see how it does. Would you say condition daily or just more regularly than washing? 

I don't use any heat, it's still too short to straighten (it's getting longer though!) And I usually towel dry - will try the t-shirt trick to reduce frizzing
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    I wash and condition mine in the same shower time! 
    I've been using shampoo bars a lot more as they contain less of the harsh chemicals that brands use, can get them online and from lush. I use an argan oil conditioner and I've noticed it's make a big difference in how my hair feels after a wash
    Ooh I never thought of shampoo bars! I'll have to try and order some. 

Argon oil conditioner sounds like a good idea since I've heard it's so good for your hair. 

There's not a lot of hair care guides for people with little to no experience, but it's something that's more common than people think! Think chemo in teens/pre teens and even alopecia - I was given a 50/50% chance of it growing back. 

So yes I'm super grateful for the advice 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    You could put your advice out there! Write an article about what you learnt from hair growing back and how to manage it!  I'm sure some magazine or website would publish it! Help others with your experience and what you learnt!
    That's a great idea, would you mind if I messaged you for ideas etc? And a bit of help/advice to add? 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Sure!
  • Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    @Anch0r33 quick question, do you know what type of hair you have according to the hair chart?
    @Salix_alba_2019 I've not even heard of the hair chart. Do you have a link of where I can find it? 

My hair is curly and short (and brown!) That's about all I know 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    I'll reply to your message after work. :)
    Thanks @GreenTea ! Much appreciated :) 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Anch0r33 said:
    @Salix_alba_2019 I've not even heard of the hair chart. Do you have a link of where I can find it? 

My hair is curly and short (and brown!) That's about all I know 
    Natural Hair Typing Chart
    Hmm I'm not sure because it's not grown yet fully... Maybe somewhere around the 2c-3b mark. I really don't know...
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    @Eleanor @GreenTea @independent_ @Salix_alba_2019 hey again guys, another quick question for anyone/everyone - how often should I be brushing my hair? It's at the length that I can do so now and it prevents tangling (something I've not had in years obviously). I don't want to overbrush and damage it (if that's even a thing), also is there any specific kind of brushes you'd recommend? I've been using my wig brush before investing anything on another brush before knowing the best kind! 

Thanks guys 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    @Anch0r33

I tend to go for a wide-tooth comb or I finger detangle because I have afro hair and a sensitive scalp. I try to detangle my hair every other day to prevent knotting.

I also wanted to ask if you've got any heat damage?

I hope it's not too personal to ask but can I see your hair? To help determine what products might work best for you?

My I have rainbow niblings so if need be I can pop over and ask their mum what she uses 
    Hey @Salix_alba_2019 , I shouldn't have any heat damage. Last time I used any heat was 2013 lol. 

I'll send you a pm with it! It's much appreciated 😊
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    Taking a few notes for myself in this thread! My personal routine is daily conditioning with washing as infrequently as possible (basically until it starts to feel/look a bit gross). Especially if you're growing your hair out, I'm told the regular conditioning is super important for keeping it healthy. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @Anch0r33 When I'm trying to keep my curls nice, I usually just wet my hair slightly in the morning and go through it with a shower comb
    Alis propriis volat 
    Mike said:
    Taking a few notes for myself in this thread! My personal routine is daily conditioning with washing as infrequently as possible (basically until it starts to feel/look a bit gross). Especially if you're growing your hair out, I'm told the regular conditioning is super important for keeping it healthy. :)
    I genuinely had no clue, prior to any of this. Everything online was so conflicting so getting personal experience has been fantastic. I'm trying to grow it out nice and healthy and strong. I know I can't prevent losing it again, if it's gonna happen it's gonna happen, but if I can do anything that'll prevent that then I definitely want to! 

I'm looking into some good quality conditioners right now so can hopefully get that part nailed! :) 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    @Eleanor that's a good idea, when I was at the stubble regrowth stage I would rinse my head with freezing water as my head was constantly so itchy. I've got a scalp application from the drs too that's designed for alopecia. I think I'll start it again to help soothe my head and maybe work with the curls :) 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Hey, my lovely friend got back to me and she uses this on her little girls hair 

Thank you @Salix_alba_2019 much appreciated! I'll be sure to check it out 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    @Anch0r33

no worries and if doesn't work out let me know so I can ask around for you ;)
    I had an alopecia flare up today which has been quite a set back for me, I'm not really expecting any new comments, but I just wanted somewhere to kind of let it out. 

I have both alopecia and trichotillomania so it's a tough continuous cycle for me. I managed to control the trich to a point that my hair was growing and then my alopecia decides to pipe up?? It feels really unfair, like I've worked so hard, and something else comes along and ruins it. 

I'm at the stage where I don't care so much about if I have hair or not - my appearance isn't the main thing - but after having hair again it's really frustrating that it's happened. I'm not so self conscious anymore and if anyone wants to say something then they can because I won't show it affecting me. 

Negative comments do affect me though, I laugh through it, I make jokes about it to make myself feel better. I am used to the hair loss but not comments from strangers. I can joke with friends and family and don't get offended by them - but what gives a stranger the right to say something - call me son or a boy - or whatever they say? 

And to make things worse, the stress sets off my trich so I'm gonna have to battle to get that under control before I ruin all the progress I've already made. 

It's so shitty and even though this is only a minor set back, it's such a big disappointment. 

(_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `

A little bit of progress - although the area is very exposed and sensitive, there's some hairs forcing their way through. Hopefully it won't be long before it all starts to come back 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `