Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

24 hour time Part two

2»

Comments

• Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    12 hour
    i hear ya @Shaunie

12 hour time just tells us what time it is without the math :lol: 2.15pm and it's two fifteen, super simple :smiley: . I know that some folk disagree though.

I work out 24 hour by knowing that school finishes at 3 which is 15:00 and then counting up or down on my fingers :lol:
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited September 2020
    24 hour
    Shaunie said:
    When asked in PM The Mix said 

“ Thanks for getting back to us. You are right, everyone does know how to read 12 hour time, I hadn't actually thought of that. It makes sense that you are feeling confused about peoples response. I wonder if they haven't thought about that yet either? ”

So that’s why I’ve still got it in my mind everyone can read it so now I am super confused

Not everyone can read it. I feel it's judgement and poor to assume everyone is able to read something...( Poor on @The Mix )

I struggle with numbers altogether... I kinda feel a bit uncomfortable having other assume everyone can read something..

It's like assuming everyone can read.. but they can't.. and dyslexia etc is part of that..
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,497 Skive's The Limit
    12 hour
    Liam said:
    i hear ya @Shaunie

12 hour time just tells us what time it is without the math :lol: 2.15pm and it's two fifteen, super simple :smiley: . I know that some folk disagree though.

I work out 24 hour by knowing that school finishes at 3 which is 15:00 and then counting up or down on my fingers :lol:
    Oh yeah exactly everyone knows school finishes at 3 and most work finish at 5. Like 9-5 shift. Now I am confused I’ve never heard someone say the 24 hour time out loud. Now I am confused on why everyone’s so fussed if was 12 hour ahhh

not like in a rude way. Just interested in how the mind works. Like my profile says ha. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    12 hour
    Like I can’t imagaine someone saying it’s 30 past 16. Id be like wtf haha 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited September 2020
    24 hour
    It's 1600.. or 1630.. or 0600...0630..

Said like 'sixteen hundred'
    Sixteen thirty..

Etc etc..
  • Options
    12 hour
    Oh no
    i don’t want to get the mix in trouble for saying that. 
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    edited September 2020
    It's something we're feeling our way through as a team @GreenTea. Our thinking at the time was similar to what @Shaunie has said - that everyone (or at least the vast majority of people) learn time by looking at clocks, so our logic was that 12 hour would be objectively simpler than 24 hour.

Since the discussion around this has continued, we totally acknowledge that it's not a universal rule and some of the posts here have highlighted that, which is a good thing. It's probably still true that 12 hour is generally more accessible than 24 hour, even though we may have been a little too sweeping in what we said in that message. Not something we need to over analyse. :)

@Shaunie it's okay - what we say over PM we're usually happy to say publicly. That's not always the case (e.g. if it's a sensitive conversation) and sometimes a lack of context can be a little dangerous when sharing private conversations, but there's no issue this time.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.