Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Feeling really sad and alone

Porcupine19Porcupine19 Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
I was fine until this evening but over the last couple of hours I've been feeling really sad and helpless and it's getting hard not to think things about myself like "I'm ugly", "everyone hates me" etc. Also it feels like lots of people in my life are ghosting/ignoring me online and I'm probably overthinking- in fact this cute person I've been messaging with FINALLY picked up where our conversation left off again, so I guess they didn't get bored of me they were just busy or something lol. So I feel a little better now but still really sad and still a lot of self-doubt etc going on here : (

Comments

• Options
    PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Hey @Porcupine19 firstly welcome to The Mix - it's great that you have reached out for support here, the community are very understanding and supportive.

It sounds from your post that you're struggling a lot with negative thoughts about yourself, which can be a real struggle, and I'm sending you lots of hugs <3  

What sort of support network do you have around you in terms of friends/family? Is there anyone that you would feel comfortable speaking to about how you're feeling at the moment? 

There are lots of things you can do to improve your self esteem - finding evidence to disprove the negative thought can be a really great way to change how much you believe in them, as you have done with the cute person messaging you back (and that is great news by the way, wishing you the best of luck with them!)

Other things that can help with low self esteem include exercise (not only will you improve your fitness but it will also release endorphins which improve your mood), helping others (which can be anything from doing the dishes to signing petitions for campaigns), or taking up a new hobby (lockdown is a great time to do something new such as a music, crafts or reading).  

I also just want to say that you are not alone with how you're feeling, especially during this pandemic, but if you ever feel like these thoughts are majorly effecting your life, you can always talk to your GP or The Mix helpline (08088084994)
  • Options
    Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Hey @Porcupine19

Sending you hugs - I think @PoppyB's advice is spot on. 

I just wanted to add a couple of links for some self-love ideas:
    https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/body-image-and-self-esteem/building-self-esteem-5940.html
    https://www.themix.org.uk/your-body/appearance/why-we-all-need-more-body-kindness-in-our-lives-32249.html
    https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/looking-after-yourself/being-positive-6284.html

I think it's so easy to beat ourselves up and worry about what others think of us - hopefully some of these articles might help you focus on loving and appreciating yourself and the wonderful person that you are <3

• Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @Porcupine19

Welcome to the boards! Sending big hugs your way :heart:

I'd like to echo everything @PoppyB and @Han93 have said - totally agree.

I am also wondering how long you have been feeling this way for? I know in your post you said it had been a difficult few hours, but I'm just wondering whether you have had these thoughts before? :smile:

Take good care - we are all here for you :heart:
  • Options
    Porcupine19Porcupine19 Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
    coc0mac said:
    Hi @Porcupine19

Welcome to the boards! Sending big hugs your way :heart:

I'd like to echo everything @PoppyB and @Han93 have said - totally agree.

I am also wondering how long you have been feeling this way for? I know in your post you said it had been a difficult few hours, but I'm just wondering whether you have had these thoughts before? :smile:

Take good care - we are all here for you :heart:
    Hey @coc0mac,
    In answer to the question- yeah, I have had thoughts like that before, but it's not usually that bad. It's hard to block them out completely though, and every once in a while I have a bit of a downward spiral I guess you could call it. I had to leave another post about an hour ago because I "relapsed" a bit tbh. Body image stuff. I'm going to read the links @Han93 posted when I have time. Thanks again  <3
  • Options
    birdbird Posts: 16 Settling in
    Hey @Porcupine19, sending love and support <3 As others here have said be kind to yourself and don't be afraid to reach out for help when you need it. Take care
    Aim high in life, but watch out for flying boxes
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,497 Skive's The Limit
    Welcome <3

there is always reasons why people ghost online and it’s mostly cause they’re either busy or they’re struggling mentally too. I ghost most people online because it’s just overwhelming for me. People probs think I’m rude but yeah is what it is. It’s probably nothing to do with you <3 you seem really kind. Some here is always here to listen to you <3
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley