Home Health & Wellbeing
We are writing some music with the help of a professional band! Share some small positive stories from lockdown to contribute our song over on this thread!
Want to discuss Coronavirus/COVID-19? Head to the dedicated forum.

PSA: eating disorders

Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Posts: 401 Rampant Poster
Just be mindful when talking about disordered eating.

Please don't  mention things that glorify behaviours especially around people who are affected by eating disorders. It makes it difficult for those trying to recover or those trying to stay recovered.

Let's start a conversation 
GreenTeaHowDoYouTalkAboutIt

Comments

• HowDoYouTalkAboutItHowDoYouTalkAboutIt Posts: 56 Miniposter
    edited May 23
    Sorry if I caused this in the I need a hug thread, I didn't mean to affect anyone by doing so
  • Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Posts: 401 Rampant Poster
    Sorry if I caused this in the I need a hug thread, I didn't mean to affect anyone by doing so

It's okay to talk about how you feel, you weren't glorifying anything. Appologoies if I made you feel like it was aimed at you. 

It was just a general statement as I've had a few things happen along the way. Usually I don't say anything but things have been rather challenging on my end so I had to say something.

Stay strong💪💕
    GreenTeaHowDoYouTalkAboutIt
  • ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 8,168 Boards Champion
    edited May 23
    Hope wasn't me. Sorry if have. 

But the way i see it is someone who glorfies eating disorders are just as un well. Cause they dont even see its unhealthy and really sad. I know people see it as someone who just wants an eating disorder but yeah ive spent a while on "my pro ana" website (only went so didnt feel alone and says it doesnt encorage eating disorders anymore but a few years a go there was people glofying it more than now and they are just as unwell, But its hard. Cause can be triggering but some people really are unwell and cant help but glorise it
    Stop imagining fake scenarios and hurting your own feelings 
    HowDoYouTalkAboutIt
    Hey @Shaunie

Thank you for sharing 

That's not something I actually considered and I only hope that bringing awareness will help people to identify when they're doing it or where, just to make sure that it's not some thing that happens in a community focused on wellness 💕
  • ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 8,168 Boards Champion
    edited May 23
    Yeah. 

TRIGGER WARNING ********

Sometimes i think who i wish i could be that "unwell" as that. Or i think i wish i had that control or i sometimes actually think 'how nice would it look to purge and feel an outer body expeirence at seeing myself doing that, maybe ill get as thin as them". I feel like most people think like that at some point with eating disorders but just dont like admiting it and i think that needs to be spoken about to. So people dont feel ashamed about thinking like that and they can explore that with other people without like someone saying oh you dont even have an eating disorder you just want one. When really any "sane" person would not think like that and would be very insecure to think like that. Althought not all eating disorder are about weight but lot are and most want to look at certain way - mostly like how ill someone with anoreixa is -  so isnt that just as glamorising? Would think it will look and feel great when doesnt. Just like sometimes i actually think purging does aswell cause some control there. I sometimes get sterotype picture of eating disorders in my head and think "thats what i want" people shouldnt feel ashamed to have thoughts theyre very negative as any other thoughts.

And people can sometimes accidently glamorise it infront of others because it becomes their new normal mind set and start to actually think it is "glamous" and some people just think out loud which kinda good cause can get support then. and there is some reason they delveop that mind set cause not everysingle person who see the exact same thing will turn out like that. Its something in their head maybe insecure or maybe wanting som element of control or something. Eating disorders are so complicated.

Edited by mod to fix spoiler
    Stop imagining fake scenarios and hurting your own feelings 
    HowDoYouTalkAboutIt
    The absolutely are complicated, and I can understand that things that are said may be unintentional and a side effect of their illness, I can definitely relate to that (once apon a time).I'm starting think that glmaourising was the wrong choice of words to what I meant, but the point still stands, I'm just not sure if it's a good idea to mention that one is going to actively engage in behaviour and explicitly describe what they're going to do. 

Talking about these thoughts is always challenging. I never know what to say to somone who is struggling with disordered eating but I do agree with starting a conversation about why a person my think a certain way. 

With glamorisjng anorexia that's a difficult one. If someone has anorexia a still conitues to as normal in their social media then that okay. But the problem lies with using is as a tool to showcase behaviors on a platform that's not indended for it. 

Salix 
  • MikeMike Unapologetic dork LondonPosts: 2,330 Staff Moderator
    edited May 23
    Just sneaking in here with a point on moderation...

In terms of The Mix's community guidelines, there shouldn't be any talk of behaviours surrounding disordered eating (e.g. what or how much someone has eaten). If something you want to say might be a bit borderline, it's best to be safe and spoiler it up with a content warning just in case.

We also want to allow people to express intrusive thoughts, that they themselves might not want to be having or agree with. And that's something that applies to a lot of different things someone might want support for. For example: wanting to be thinner even though you know it's not a healthy option for you, or having intrusive thoughts to hurt someone when you know that's wrong.

If you see a post that crosses a line with eating disorders, flag it and we'll take a look. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Salix_alba_2019
    I understand @Mike

I guess sometimes it touches a nerve when things hit a bit too close to home 😣

Mike
  • MikeMike Unapologetic dork LondonPosts: 2,330 Staff Moderator
    edited May 23
    Super understandable, Salix. It's healthy for a community to have conversations like this and I didn't mean to close this one down when I posted. It's good for everyone to be aware of the wider (and sometimes unseen) impact their words can have, so I'd encourage you (and others) to still have this conversation. Community guidelines are there to draw the main boundaries, but everyone is welcome to be careful and considerate in other ways beyond what those ask (if that makes sense).

Besides, guidelines are never set in stone. Conversations like this can effect change with them. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Salix_alba_2019
  • HowDoYouTalkAboutItHowDoYouTalkAboutIt Posts: 56 Miniposter
    Possible Trigger warning

@Shaunie I fully understand and experience what you are on about with wanting to be as thin as someone else. I wne tinto more detail below but again Trigger Warning so I summed it up here first

I understand the thought of wanting to be as thin as someone else fully. I watched "To the bone" on Netflix a while ago and all I could think about was their weights and how I wish I could weigh as little as they did and be as thin as they were even though I knew it was unhealthy but I just don't care. I still think about it a lot. 

Salix_alba_2019