Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Helping Neighbours (Please give me feedback!)

ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Hey guys, 

I've been wanting to do more to help during the lock down period to help others and today I had an idea that I will be doing in the near future. I am going to create some cards with a little message on one side and some support services on the reverse to post to some neighbours because I believe that it is more difficult to cope with mental illnesses during this period and I want people to know that support is still out there! 

I just ask one thing (pretty, pretty please), it would be incredibly helpful if some people could read what I intend to put on the cards to make sure I'm doing this as effectively as I can! I'm going to put the content in a spoiler so that this post is not too long! 

Front side:

Hello Neighbour, 
I am posting these cards to as many neighbours as I can in an attempt to raise awareness of mental health issues during the corona-virus outbreak. The impact of the virus has affected all of us, self-isolating has left people to feel lonely, lock down has forced many people to loose support they used to receive and the uncertainty of the situation has created a sense of anxiety amongst many. 

If you or anyone in household is experiencing mental health issues, know that they are not alone. On the back of this card are a number of support services accessible from your own home. Please reach out if you need a helping hand or an ear to listen during this tough time. 

Please also share these services with you friends and family, you never know who may be suffering on the inside. It is especially important to make sure that your children are aware of support they can receive at home as they may not be comfortable sharing any problems with a family member. 

Stay safe, 
A local neighbour 

Reverse Side:

Self-Help: https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters/coronavirus-covid-19-staying-at-home-tips/

Need Info:  Email Mind: info@mind.org.uk
Call Mind: 0300 123 3393 
Text Mind: 86463

Need Support: Call Samaritans: 116 123 (free)
Email Samaritans: jo@samaritans.org

Crisis Support: Text SHOUT to 85258

Services by The Mix (ages 13-25): https://www.themix.org.uk/
- Counselling services
- One-to-one chat 
- Crisis messenger 
- Support chat/general chat 

Thanks everyone <3

Eleanor 

Alis propriis volat 
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Sounds like a lovely idea :) im not sure how many services you can put on there but here's a few others

CALM for men aged 15-35

Papyrus

SANE

Refuge/womans aid (I feel its important to get one of these in as I read somewhere that deaths linked to domestic violence has increased during the lockdown)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Thank you @BubblesGoesBoo <3

I want to get as many services on there as I can so I'm going to do a trial card and see how many I can reasonably get on there. If there is room for more then definitely! :)  
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    This is just the loveliest idea! I think it's fab :heart:
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,785 Master Poster
    For free and confidential support there is kooth.com This is for young people under 18
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,614 Legendary Poster
    I love this idea Eleanor, good for you!

A good one to put on there if you can would be ChildLine, a lot of young people are really struggling with this at the moment and they can support anybody under 19 in several ways.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”