Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

'Crisis fatigue'

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
edited March 2020 in Politics & Debate
I was on YouTube last night and someone talked about how this generation is so used living with crises.

Climate change? Species extinction? Rise of far-right movements? Donald Trump? Brexit? Coronavirus?

People are arguably getting used to these looming threats being there and just getting on with life in spite of them. Young people in particular though seem to be experiencing these things (and more) in quick succession. All the while dealing with the day-to-day challenges of being a young person.

And it got me thinking: are you guys feeling any 'crisis fatigue'? Does this impact your mood?
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Comments

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    edited March 2020
    I agree that the word 'crisis' is used so much to the point that the idea of a 'crisis' has been diminished - from the severity of the Cuban Missile Crisis that could've triggered a nuclear war, to some people expressing their opinions. Media definitely has a role to play - if everything is a crisis, then they see droves of people reading their articles on the topic, even when it's not really a 'crisis' in absolute terms. Effectively, 'crisis' is a very emotionally powerful word in journalism and politics, as it invokes fear and anxiety x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    edited March 2020
    I think each generation had to deal with about the same amount of crises but just different ones. Doesn't really impact my mood
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ